AUH connection 2 help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 09:04 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
By looking at those images it looks like turning the anderson king pin mount around would set the trailer back about the same distance as that gooseneck offset adapter?

Old 06-24-2018, 09:49 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dirthawg
By looking at those images it looks like turning the anderson king pin mount around would set the trailer back about the same distance as that gooseneck offset adapter?
You are correct, however now the pinbox is plus 4” and would not clear my bed rails on a tight turn.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:04 AM
UnclKracker
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002

You are correct, however now the pinbox is plus 4” and would not clear my bed rails on a tight turn.
Thankfully I don't have an issue with Pin Box clearance. The top of the bed rail to trailer clearance is my problem. I have a 2017 F250 SRW CCSB.

With the ball in its lowest position the trailer is near level and the clearance at the bed rails is approx. 5 inches. I've had 2 occurrences of the trailer contacting the bed rails. Actually, the truck was spared but the frame for my soft bed cover was crushed and the underside of the trailer cap got some nasty cuts. The first time was with the ball in the lowest position.
I had another contact with the ball up in the second pin position. I was turning in the opposite direction that time so I have cuts carved into both sides of the cap now. So I put the ball in the highest position and the trailer bumper hit the ground when climbing a steep grade in the campground. Raising the trailer on it's suspension isn't an option. The specs say the trailer is 13' 5" to the top of the front A/C unit and I'm pretty sure 13' 6" is max by law for RVs. So, I stop at check-in and raise the ball if I feel the campground terrain is going to give me trouble. I'd rather drag the tail of the trailer than crush the bed rails.

I've heard that replacing the axle spacers with shorter ones is one way to lower the truck. I measured mine and they are 3 inches thick. What's the smallest spacer Ford offers. I checked some aftermarket sites and saw 1 inch spacers but they didn't have the stop for the suspension. I'd like to gain at least another inch clearance from the bed rails. Preferably more but that doesn't look likely. With the truck unloaded I measure 53 1/2 inches to the top of the ball. My trailer sits level when the ball is 50 1/2". I haven't measured the squat but 3 inches seems about right. I'll check it next time I hook up.

Ford should add LBSB and LBLB (low bed short bed and low bed long bed) to their list of options. Just a few inches cut from the height of the side rails and tailgate. Sure, it would have downsides for some applications but don't you lose or gain something with any option?

Last edited by UnclKracker; 07-15-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: To complete my thoughts at the end