To Delete or Not to Delete - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

To Delete or Not to Delete

Old 06-19-2018, 01:44 PM
Platinum18
Freshman User
Platinum18 is starting off with a positive reputation.
To Delete or Not to Delete

I have researched, researched, and researched deleting my 2018 f250. I can not make up my mind if it would be better to delete or not to delete. I hear good and bad about delete. Some say getting rid of dpf will make the truck last longer. Some say don't mess with it.

I really want my truck to sound more like a diesel and not a gasser.

So the question is should I delete with Tyrant tune?
Or does anyone know if I can put an exhaust on with a tune and leave the emmissions? This is my 1st diesel so I don't know much except what I have read online.

I really appreciate all the help you guys give!

Old 06-19-2018, 02:27 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Does anyone consider just deleting the EGR system? I don't care about the DEF at all, just adding some each oil change is trivial. The DPF is annoying because of the fuel flooding into the cylinders to clean, but I do like the non-smelly startups in my garage. The EGR seems to have no real benefit and makes the oil dirty quickly.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:28 PM
Sethcj
New User
Sethcj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Coming from a 2012 psd that I had deleted into my 2017 thatís stock I would say that itís got its pros and cons. Pros being that it definitely sounds way better IMO, really wakes the truck up power wise it feels like it has twice the power then of course you get a little better fuel economy and lose the def. cons being that you probably wonít save enough money from doing it to ever recoupe the initial purchase. If you live in a strict emission county then you may have a hard time finding an inspection station that will pass it, and then if you plan on trading the truck in at any point ever then most dealers will either flat out not take it in on trade or theyíll low ball this **** out of the trade value and not budge. All this is subjective to each individual, but I likely wonít be deleting my 17 unless something out of warranty happens to the dpf system on it. Which is highly likely as the miles go up.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Liquid10Rider
Elder User
Liquid10Rider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I deleted my 17 and its so so....... I love the sound that I got and the power is unbelievable. The truck had ***** before but after I tuned it its a completely different truck. Also I went with PPEI simply because I can call them up if i am having problems with a tune and they will send me a new one tailored to my vin to help out. Actually I had an issue with the trans tune they had and called up explained my problem and with in seconds i had a new tune that has worked great and solved my issue. The engine tune I have is 0-35 SOTF but I am running it at 0 and the truck still pulls like crazy. My MPG was a tiny bit better but nothing to write home about. I also run a pedal commander that is amazing as well. If your looking for sound and slightly better MPG and not having to worry about regens or DEF than go for the delete, but if you can live with the gasser sound and have warranty than keep your truck stock until warranty is up. I hated how mine sounded and was itching to delete until one day I pulled the trigger. Some people will say its a horrible idea to delete but to each their own. If you want it, do it.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:05 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
No consideration of warranty?

Everybody has their opinions and everybody's circumstances are unique to them. Me? I have a couple of cars that are plenty fast enough. I want the truck to be a tow beast that I don't have to mess with. I'll do my own regular service but for any repairs it goes to the dealer as I would rather spend my wrenching time playing with the fun stuff instead of the tow beast. Also, bought an ESP and didn't want to complicate matters.

You _want_ more diesel noise? I REALLY like how quiet and odor free my truck is. I had a 7.3 and a 6.0 and this is so much better.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 PM
MPawelek
Junior User
MPawelek is starting off with a positive reputation.
I personally have never liked loud engines/exhaust though I have to admit I did use playing cards and wooden clothes pins on my bicycle spokes when I was 8 years old! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 PM
toymaster
Elder User
toymaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Clubwagon View Post
You _want_ more diesel noise? I REALLY like how quiet and odor free my truck is. I had a 7.3 and a 6.0 and this is so much better.
No skin in the game here but I like the 7.3 and 6.0 smell, noise not so much after a long ride. My wife puts a little dab of diesel behind her ear to get my attention.

Funny story, or not so funny story...... A while back at a small wyoming rest area I stopped to relieve myself and, as usual, I left the truck running while I ran inside. I was on my way out and an older woman was there in the common area, I ducked my head and walked by as to not alarm her in any way, when she spoke up and said "YOUR TRUCK STINKS!" in a not so nice way. It took everything I had not to take my cow catcher and push her little SUV into the nearest ditch.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:22 PM
BK39
Junior User
BK39 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you want it to go faster, make a lot of noise.........don't care about warranty, delete it. If you want to retain warranty, and not spend 2 grand for the delete..........leave it alone.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:34 PM
UGA33
Post Fiend
UGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud of
Deleted and tuned here. I love it. Running Patriot. Shifting is great. Truck sounds great with a 5" exhaust. If you go this route, run a muffler as the drone towing can get loud.

Have had 3 deleted trucks so far. A 6.4, a 2012 6.7, and now this '17. It isn't for everyone as it may take a couple tries to make you completely happy with the way it shifts/performs. CEL's can take some tinkering with to get right as every truck responds different to tuning depending on year models and parts you've added. Cale at Tyrant is a great tuner and his customer service is good.

I say go for it

Old 06-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Platinum18
Freshman User
Platinum18 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well luckily I live in an area that at this point and time it will pass inspection with or without delete. Also I have talked to 2 local dealers in he DFW area that will warranty just about anything with the truck deleted. They did say if you blow a rod out the side of the block I would be SOL. But they explained as long as you don't get some crazy tune and push it to the max, should not have that problem.

Can I add an exhaust to make it sound better? And a tune/intake with the dpf still on the truck?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
No skin in the game here but I like the 7.3 and 6.0 smell, noise not so much after a long ride. My wife puts a little dab of diesel behind her ear to get my attention.<br /><br />Funny story, or not so funny story...... A while back at a small wyoming rest area I stopped to relieve myself and, as usual, I left the truck running while I ran inside. I was on my way out and an older woman was there in the common area, I ducked my head and walked by as to not alarm her in any way, when she spoke up and said "YOUR TRUCK STINKS!" in a not so nice way. It took everything I had not to take my cow catcher and push her little SUV into the nearest ditch.
<br /><br />My wife hates the smell of diesel and is very sensitive to it. Normal diesel smell doesn't bother me that much. However, I hate getting behind a truck in traffic that isn't running well (not just deleted but actually has something wrong with the motor). The acrid smell really gets to me. Gas engines that are overly rich or aren't burning cleanly are just as bad. <br />

Old 06-19-2018, 07:17 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
T diesel has a good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a good reputation on FTE.
Would you buy a deleted truck?

Old 06-19-2018, 08:07 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
backtrack2015 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.backtrack2015 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 2009kr View Post
Does anyone consider just deleting the EGR system? I don't care about the DEF at all, just adding some each oil change is trivial. The DPF is annoying because of the fuel flooding into the cylinders to clean, but I do like the non-smelly startups in my garage. The EGR seems to have no real benefit and makes the oil dirty quickly.
I second this. I'll be first or second in line for the first GM/Ram/Ford where they skip the EGR and deal with the NOx solely through extra DEF injection. The truck could run higher combustion temps for higher efficiency and be far simpler without the EGR. I hate the EGR but don't mind the DEF or DPF. I believe some of the bigger truck manufacturers (Volvo etc.) are moving to eliminate the EGR and simply use more DEF to tackle the NOx. Doing this may well eliminate the need for most active DPF regenerations as well since the average exhaust temps would be higher entering the DPF.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:15 PM
K-tung
Freshman User
K-tung is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by UGA33 View Post
Deleted and tuned here. I love it. Running Patriot. Shifting is great. Truck sounds great with a 5" exhaust. If you go this route, run a muffler as the drone towing can get loud.

Have had 3 deleted trucks so far. A 6.4, a 2012 6.7, and now this '17. It isn't for everyone as it may take a couple tries to make you completely happy with the way it shifts/performs. CEL's can take some tinkering with to get right as every truck responds different to tuning depending on year models and parts you've added. Cale at Tyrant is a great tuner and his customer service is good.

I say go for it
Do you run into any issues selling your trucks? Do you trade them or sell privately?

thanks.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:20 PM
UGA33
Post Fiend
UGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by K-tung View Post

Do you run into any issues selling your trucks? Do you trade them or sell privately?

thanks.
No. Traded the 6.4 in with all the stock parts in the bed. Private sold the 2012.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.