2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

To Delete or Not to Delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:35 PM
ACK3000
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resale of a deleted truck

On my 08 6.4 I was in the shop once a month replacing egt sensors and other emission related parts. When the toolwrench light came on and the truck was in limp mode again, I knew it was time to break out some more cash. Truck was babied with only 50k when I got rid of her.

Deleted my first rig 2011 6.7 and after a trouble free 120k miles, a tire shop dropped her off a lift. Yeah, that happened. After the repair, I was ready for a new truck. Listed it on Craigslist and disclosed the damage at full retail and had 15 emails first day and sold for full asking the following. My dealer said I should have shot for 3-5k over retail that he has a list of customers waiting for a trade to come in that has had this type of work.

Deleted my current 17 6.7 with 10k miles. EZ Lynk, GDP, S&B, Pro Flow 4” straightpiped. It is the perfect set up without pissing off my neighbors. My dealer in NC is fully supporting my warranty with the stipulation that if a rep from Ford has to come in to authorize a catastrophic repair or engine replacement, his hands might be tied.

Are they’re reasons to do it? Absolutely. Are they’re reasons not? Absolutely. My deciding factors other than previous experience is that once I get my truck set up the way I want it, I will not be selling for a long time. Also I’m not the type of person that’s going to be laying in bed at night thinking about my trucks warranty.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:22 AM
hindy
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MPawelek
I personally have never liked loud engines/exhaust though I have to admit I did use playing cards and wooden clothes pins on my bicycle spokes when I was 8 years old! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Too funny... Ruined my Nolan Ryan rookie card that way. Who knew he was going to be something...

Old 06-20-2018, 08:03 AM
tubaphysics
Freshman User
I am in the do I delete or not delete flip flop as well. My biggest question is for those that tow heavy, like 25k+ heavy. It is one thing to up the hp and tq when you are unloaded, but when you are 35k GVW it seems like it could be hard on important bits. Anyone have thoughts from this perspective? Also, when towing this way, for me, it is a lot of starts and up to 55 and then stop and then again up to highway speed.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:26 AM
GoDuke1
Senior User
Bill Hewitt with PowerStroke Specialty (AKA) PowerstrokeHelp.com is in the don't delete camp on the 6.7 motor. Man knows a lot more than me about PSD, with years of experience. Plus I like my warranty too much.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:40 AM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by T diesel
Would you buy a deleted truck?
Simple answer - nope.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:20 AM
VQ2Fast4U
Senior User
  • I have been a diesel mech since before egr, scr, or dpf. These system were never designed for efficiency, reliability, or performance. My last 6.7 got deleted as soon as it came off the dealer lot new, truck made it over 100k without any problems, and its second owner is still going strong. Also anyone talking about a voided warranty is full of it, they would have to prove that your mods directly caused the failure, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act states this. If you do melt a piston or destroy a transmission i doubt it would b covered under warranty though.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:37 AM
Tex68w
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to do it but I simply don't have a need other than the sound and possibly picking up slightly better fuel efficiency. I don't think I'd ever gain any of it back compared to what I'd have to put out up front for it. Now if it could be guaranteed without a shadow of a doubt that I would improve my trucks reliability by 50% or more by deleting it then I'd have to consider it further. All of that said, I tend to trade in every four years so it'll likely never be worth it in the grand scheme of things.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:40 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^^ if you trade every 4 years do not delete it. If you want to know the damage these EPA mandated systems do watch this video.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:26 PM
TX03RUBI
Senior User
I’ve got 21k miles on my 17 right now, and 9k of those have been deleted. I should have done it from day 1. By the way I have both PPEI and Tyrant tunes for mine, and I’d absolutely go Tyrant over PPEI. My truck shifts SOO much better running Tyrants TCM tunes.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:28 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would not buy a deleted truck just because it tells me the previous owner may have gone well beyond the stock power levels. I haven't watched the video above yet, but EGR is the only thing that is obviously "damaging" to the engine, the rest (DEF/DPF) is just exhaust after-treatment in concept. Ford should have used a separate ninth fuel injector upstream of the DPF to eliminate any concerns about oil dilution due to DPF regeneration. There is no perfect truck. As I've said before, I loathe EGR and cannot wait for one of the big three to eliminate it.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:39 PM
wntrwhte
Junior User
Can't buy a deleted truck in this state and register it, so it would be a nonquestion for me. Can't delete without putting everything back for inspection annually, and can't sell deleted here.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:43 PM
C_Smitty
Senior User
Originally Posted by tubaphysics
I am in the do I delete or not delete flip flop as well. My biggest question is for those that tow heavy, like 25k+ heavy. It is one thing to up the hp and tq when you are unloaded, but when you are 35k GVW it seems like it could be hard on important bits. Anyone have thoughts from this perspective? Also, when towing this way, for me, it is a lot of starts and up to 55 and then stop and then again up to highway speed.
When I first deleted my truck ('17 250) I would always run 150hp or 200hp tunes unloaded and when I tow up to 14k I run either 30hp or 75hp. Anything higher than 75hp for my truck while towing up hills causes the EGT's to get too high for my comfort.

Now I just leave the 75hp tune in all the time. I've found with my 4.10 gears and the higher tunes, that it's too much power to get to the ground. My truck just spins the tires through gears 1-4... The 75hp tune seems to be the happy medium. Good power, good sound, good throttle response, low EGT's, and no black smoke.

In regards to delete or not, don't if you don't think you're going to keep the truck. That's the easy answer. I did mine cause I plan on keeping it for as long as I can. I did it more to keep a cleaner running motor than anything else. My thinking was I can pay $2k now to delete or $2k later when the DPF and EGR cooler have to be replaced...

I also understand why people don't cause of the whole warranty disclaimer and the fact that it is illegal to do. I remember there was a sticker I removed that was under my hood in front of the fan shroud that stated any modifications to the motor will void your warranty.

On the other hand, it's my truck and I can do whatever I want to it...

Old 06-20-2018, 01:40 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Smitty
When I first deleted my truck ('17 250) I would always run 150hp or 200hp tunes unloaded and when I tow up to 14k I run either 30hp or 75hp. Anything higher than 75hp for my truck while towing up hills causes the EGT's to get too high for my comfort.
In the olden days, or current day for me, we use our right foot to lower the EGT..

Originally Posted by C_Smitty
On the other hand, it's my truck and I can do whatever I want to it...
I fully agree.

After seeing the video above yesterday, just surfing youtube and ran across it, I'm going to investigate the secondary oil filter they are trying to sell. Just from what I understand it sounds like a great idea. Especially with the EPA trying to kill our engines with all of that soot.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:58 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I haven’t looked into the EPA rules. If anyone has, did the EPA specify the technology AND the emissions targets? Ideally they would specify the emissions targets only.

Edit: After some google time, I believe the technology was up to the manufacturer. In which case, all three have chosen EGR coupled with SCR to tackle NOx. They should be free to move to SCR only whenever they choose to pursue it.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:14 PM
Liquid10Rider
More Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI
I’ve got 21k miles on my 17 right now, and 9k of those have been deleted. I should have done it from day 1. By the way I have both PPEI and Tyrant tunes for mine, and I’d absolutely go Tyrant over PPEI. My truck shifts SOO much better running Tyrants TCM tunes.
Which version were you running on the TCM through PPEI?? And how could one go about switching over from PPEI to Tyrant??

Quick Reply: To Delete or Not to Delete