302 Roller Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 11:41 PM
Bmoodie10
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 Roller Questions.

Recently tore down a 79 block out of a project truck, further investigation and helps from the fine folks on this forum let me know the block was pretty much dead (060 over, bad cylinder scoring, yada yada yada).

started looking for a new block and Boom! Somebody shutting down a machine shop about an hour away was selling a rebuilt 85’ roller motor! Came wrapped in plastic, crank and cam installed with all new bearings, pistons, etc.

Now! All the info I’ve got is for a older block. Got a few questions.

the original motor had a nice aftermarket cam in it that remained in good shape, can I run the older cam and pushrods with the new block and no problems?

if I went with the roller cam and lifters, would I need different push rods to work with my heads of the 79’ block? Heads are same ol’ boat anchors, but they’ve been worked over, look great, and I’m not building a race car.

Any of the accessory’s change? Water pump? Oil pump? Timing chain cover? Fly wheel (changing to 50oz?)

my research on on the block says it’s a HO, does that play into anything?

Sorry for the ramble, but almost like starting the build over, seeing what parts can be salvaged, and frantically trying to find receipts!

Old 06-19-2018, 06:35 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The 85 roller block has basically the same iron content as the 80-84 block. They added 2 lbs for the taller lifter bores. Has the same thin decks that caused problems as the earlier ones. Not sure why you'd want to use a flat tappet cam in a roller block here. Roller pushrods are shorter by about a half inch. All the bolt holes are the same for all 302 blocks, so you can use any accessory setup, you cannot generally as a rule mix parts from one setup to another, you'll run into all sorts of fitment issues doing that. And there's no such thing as an HO block. Ford used the same blocks in all applications with different internals

Old 06-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Bmoodie10
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baddad457
The 85 roller block has basically the same iron content as the 80-84 block. They added 2 lbs for the taller lifter bores. Has the same thin decks that caused problems as the earlier ones. Not sure why you'd want to use a flat tappet cam in a roller block here. Roller pushrods are shorter by about a half inch. All the bolt holes are the same for all 302 blocks, so you can use any accessory setup, you cannot generally as a rule mix parts from one setup to another, you'll run into all sorts of fitment issues doing that. And there's no such thing as an HO block. Ford used the same blocks in all applications with different internals

I guess the only reason I was thinking about using the flat Tap cam was the fact that I have new lifters for it and I know that cam, push rod, lifter, Head combo works.

I gotcha it’s not the greatest block. But finding something that’s freshly bored 030 over, re decked, new pistons, new bearings, new cam, and balanced, sitting in an engine bag still sealed up for 225 bucks is hard to argue with. And, it’s my first time screwing around with a roller block, so If mess it up, no harm no foul! Lol! You’ve told me before to find something later than 92 I believe, that’s the plan later down the road once I got my sea legs.

Im assuming the flex plate And harmonic balancer will have to be 50oz versions because of the crankshaft on that year?

Old 06-19-2018, 01:15 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmoodie10

I guess the only reason I was thinking about using the flat Tap cam was the fact that I have new lifters for it and I know that cam, push rod, lifter, Head combo works.

I gotcha it’s not the greatest block. But finding something that’s freshly bored 030 over, re decked, new pistons, new bearings, new cam, and balanced, sitting in an engine bag still sealed up for 225 bucks is hard to argue with. And, it’s my first time screwing around with a roller block, so If mess it up, no harm no foul! Lol! You’ve told me before to find something later than 92 I believe, that’s the plan later down the road once I got my sea legs.

Im assuming the flex plate And harmonic balancer will have to be 50oz versions because of the crankshaft on that year?
How much did they mill off the decks ? You might have sealing issues with them milled. I would use FelPro 9333 gaskets then spray them liberally both sides with Kopper Kote spray to insure a good seal when bolting the heads on. New lifters today means squat. They're the reason people have cam lobe failures. Examine all on their lobe faces. They should be milled to a slight dome (convex) If any are not, toss the lifter in the scrap bucket. It will wipe the lobe in the 20 minutes it takes to break in the cam. If you use the roller cam, you won't have any worries about cam failures.Th eroller cam will out perform that flat tappet cam and will reduce the rotational friction in the motor, thus giving you more power