Some Semi Stupid Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:40 PM
Silverhks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Semi Stupid Newbie Questions

I have an E99 2WD.
Torque Lite reports that I am only getting about 11.5 psi of boost. From what I have been able to tell it should be in the 15-17 psi stock, however all of the posts I could find were of L99+ trucks. I just want to confirm that my E99 should be the same before I dive in looking for boost leaks.

How do you guys work comfortably in the engine bay? I mean I'm fairly tall and this is a 2WD, I can't see working on a stock 4WD much less a lifted truck. I saw one post where someone removes the wheels and sets the rotors on wood blocks. I've looked at the Traxion topside creeper, it seems like it might do the job but it is a little pricey.

and as always happens I sit down in front of the computer and forget half of what I wanted to ask. So more to come...

edit: My defrost sticks closed sometimes, anything I can do about that without pulling the box out?

Last edited by Silverhks; 06-18-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: add another question
Old 06-19-2018, 06:42 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Getting up there can be a chore, but many of us have found platforms of one type or another to put the engine at the right height. The caveat here is many of our little "tricks" roll out from under our feet if we push on a wrench too hard or reach for the turbo. Keeping that in mind, find a stable design or attach it to the truck to keep it from swinging out. The overhead creeper is a great idea, we all want one - until we see the price of the good ones or the quality of the inexpensive ones. I use an aluminum stepladder with a high grab handle - it's very light and easy to toss in the back of the truck when I'm not wrenching.

Low boost can be boost leaks (search boost leak detector) or exhaust leaks (search for soot under the hood).

The "stuck on defrost" problem is a vacuum leak. Since you are 2WD, you have a much more basic vacuum circuit, and it should be easy to find a failed hose or broken fitting.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:00 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A 6' aluminum stepladder found its way into the bed in the first week I had the truck. It stays there until I need it. I even use it to get in and out of the bed.

And yes, you probably have boost and vacuum leaks.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:44 AM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverhks
How do you guys work comfortably in the engine bay? I mean I'm fairly tall and this is a 2WD, I can't see working on a stock 4WD much less a lifted truck. I saw one post where someone removes the wheels and sets the rotors on wood blocks. I've looked at the Traxion topside creeper, it seems like it might do the job but it is a little pricey.

I got a topside creeper after doing a marathon engine compartment session last fall. It’s a real back saver!

Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I use an old camper cushion. I just toss it up on top of the grille and radiator support. Must be form a 1970's Dodge class C motorhome.

Last time I was working on it I used a job box as a platform to stand on. It was on my truck but I removed it when I installed an auxiliary tank. It was sitting in the driveway next to the garage and I had my brilliant idea to use it (still used the camper cushion). I used a milk crate to step up on the toolbox.

I am actually thinking about getting one of these:
https://www.tgl-global.com/products/...or-2-receivers
https://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/182.htm

My thought is to keep it in my front hitch to use as a platform to stand on for a roadside repair and if needed I can move it to the rear and use it for a tow point.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:48 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I'm 6' 2" and for 90% of what I do under the hood I use this: https://www.harborfreight.com/step-s...orm-62515.html

If I have to work in the back of the engine I lay a few old bath towels across the front (grill, alternator, HPOP reservoir), jump up and lay down to get all the way back there.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:48 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
I have a ranch hand bumper with winch hide away. It makes for a good platform to stand on and service the engine with my 6" lift but most of the time I'm sprawled across it any which way I can find. The next couple days, I am reminded how much I wish I would rig something like this up...

Old 06-19-2018, 02:45 PM
Silverhks
Senior User
I found the topside creeper for ~$200 on Amazon which is much more reasonable than the $370 they want on their website or the 900+ I saw for a different brand. The other day I found myself standing on my 6ton jackstand working on the Spyder thinking what a horrible idea it was...

I should have been more clear on my defrost problem. The door sticks closed not open. From the description the door closes with vacuum and opens by spring pressure, correct? If so, sounds like I need to get in there and figure out why it's sticking.

I guess I have a leak hunt coming, soapy water bottle here I come...

Thanks for the answers guys

Old 06-19-2018, 02:53 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts
The topside creeper you are looking at on Amazon is probably the one I bought: Traxion 3-100-FFP Foldable Topside Creeper
Amazon Amazon
. Some assembly required. I like it so far.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:16 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
I also use a six foot step (yardsale item) but cut it to height after lineup and made a nice cushioned pad on the top side of it snapped on with zippers.

I cut the supports off so I can swing it at the 110 degree angle and rest it on the firewall with a padded end for no scratchies.. (I know, no pictures but the mind is plentiful if you know what I mean.) I'll try.

Sure does haul the mail for me. I thought about the front bumper hitch idea but it limits you to a set point. This I use from any angle. If working fenderside, I use old foam to protect paint and I can back it off for whatever reason.

I take cans back to pay for it.

Denny

Old 06-25-2018, 12:03 PM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
I use an old camper cushion. .
That actually looks comfy! I like it!!!

Old 06-25-2018, 12:23 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Below is a link to how I solved this problem several years back. I add in a couple of old bed comforters when I have to work far back in the engine bay.. It's just my penny-pinching nature, though, which keeps me from ordering one of those Traxion topside creepers, which I would really rather have in addition to what I made myself.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-platform.html

Old 06-28-2018, 08:22 AM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
I use a closed foam sleeping bag pad, like you can buy a Walmart. I think costs like $12-15 Cut an old one in half and lay across the two pieces. The foam material is thick enough you don't feel anything trying to stick you in the guts!

Old 06-28-2018, 08:58 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,440 Likes on 2,840 Posts
I used to utilize this on the front of my truck hanging from the tow hooks. Although, I have since put on the Ranch Hand grille guard and not sure it fits any longer.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:42 PM
Silverhks
Senior User
Originally Posted by MoBill122
I use a closed foam sleeping bag pad, like you can buy a Walmart. I think costs like $12-15 Cut an old one in half and lay across the two pieces. The foam material is thick enough you don't feel anything trying to stick you in the guts!

I'm always afraid I'm going to break something laying on the underhood stuff. This, the old RV cushion, or any other cushion will probably be my starting point.
Originally Posted by Sous
I used to utilize this on the front of my truck hanging from the tow hooks. Although, I have since put on the Ranch Hand grille guard and not sure it fits any longer.

I remember seeing this in another post somewhere, I had forgotten who used it though. It would solve the height issue for me. I will have to see if I have somewhere to hook it on my truck.

Quick Reply: Some Semi Stupid Newbie Questions