Looking at truck to buy 04 6.0- project needs work CODES - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Looking at truck to buy 04 6.0- project needs work CODES

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 06-18-2018, 02:29 PM
mikeykc
New User
mikeykc is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi Looking at a 2004 6.0 crew cab short bed build date 9/03 so has the early 6.0. truck looks great 145k miles. Has a Bullydog GT tuner.
Problem: rough idle cold with hard start, has no power in gear (in drive its super slow barely can get to 15 mph) but when warn it idles ok and in neutral it revs good.
Codes- P2614 P2617 (Cam and Crank sensor) P1000 P0603 (Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory error) P0275 (cylinder #5 contribution/balance fault) P0266 (cylinder #2 contribution/balance fault)
Also looks to have a small leak of diesel that dripped under the drivers seat area frame rail. And when key on engine off listening to the fuel pump it sounds like air or bubbles in it. OASIS report didnt really show much last thing on it showed new turbo,egr and FICM in 2005.

Would like to figure out what it might be to see if its a good deal or not. Price is $6,000. comparable trucks seem to be around 10-12. I know 03-04 are the "bad years" of the 6.0.
I had a 99 7.3, never had a 6.0 or any other diesel. I do all my own work when possible.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:36 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is it worth it? The question then is if it can be fixed for $4K to $5K...

I don't know the 6.0, but it sounds like it has been priced in consideration of the codes. I like the relatively low miles.

How are the seats? Sounds like a silly question, but a lot of wear on the door edge of the lower driver's seat cushion indicates lots of short trips in the city. Low wear indicates long trips and highway miles (or seat replacement).

Based on good general condition, would be worth taking to a dealership for diagnostics. If the quotes are reasonable, make a deal. If the quote is 15K+ for a new engine and a bunch of other stuff, then you got off cheap by walking away.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:07 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
T diesel has a good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a good reputation on FTE.
Itís a money pit.
You have been warned.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:35 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by T diesel View Post
Itís a money pit.
You have been warned.
ditto

there are no sources for good used engines for 6.x

Old 06-18-2018, 09:19 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
As a Ford dealership technician, I THIRD the money pit sentiment.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:15 AM
finn
Elder User
finn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.finn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
$2500 unless the owner fixes the issues.

you will be into $5000 in repairs pretty quickly and still have a 16 year old truck.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:56 AM
Batman7777
Senior User
Batman7777 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by T diesel View Post
Itís a money pit.
You have been warned.
2nd.... Everyone is trying to dump the 6.0L.... Don't buy it...

Old 06-19-2018, 09:48 AM
redford
redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
IMO, it is about $4000 overpriced.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:00 PM
mikeykc
New User
mikeykc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok thanks for several warnings. Kind of scary on a ford site everyone says stay away. It looks like a nice truck. I thought the 6.0 was better then the 6.4's. Anyway I will just pass on the power strokes in general if everyone says stay away.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:11 PM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mixed up where I was, wrong thread.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:30 PM
texastech_diesel
Disgruntled Texan
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by mikeykc View Post
Ok thanks for several warnings. Kind of scary on a ford site everyone says stay away. It looks like a nice truck. I thought the 6.0 was better then the 6.4's. Anyway I will just pass on the power strokes in general if everyone says stay away.
Lot's of 6.0s aren't the horror stories people here (many of whom don't or haven't ever owned one and are just regurgitating what they've read) keep telling you about. There are plenty of just fine, entirely normal, not money pit ones out there, but those tend to be sold by original owners that didn't screw them up in the first place and have records for the entire life of the truck. This one sounds like an overpriced POS. I'd buy it for $1500, which is about what I'd pay for non-running or missing a major component like an engine, trans, etc; if it can't get to 15mph then it's darn near a non-running truck. This could be as simple as a fried FICM, but I have two other 6.0s that run fine that would be sitting next to this project and I could cross-deck parts between the three of them. You'd be guessing.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Batman7777
Senior User
Batman7777 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I owned (Original Owner) an 06' 6.0L going on 12 years.. The repair list is long.. The horror stories are real... Ford's worst ever motor from International (Hmmm,,,, maybe the 6.4) so they went back to their own... Best ever... 6.7L...
I now have a 2016 6.7L -> never a problem,,, never been in the shop...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.