2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Gasoline in a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 02:09 PM
ArcticCircle
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gasoline in a diesel

Say you put 5 gallons of gasoline into a diesel tank of a modern truck (PSD or Cummins) that is already half full of diesel. And then you fired up the truck and let it run and warm up as normal. What would happen, and what parts would need to be replaced? Asking for a friend..

Old 06-18-2018, 02:30 PM
26point2
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Ryan, most things in here don't react well with bullets."

Same goes for a diesel engine and gasoline.
https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...nd-diesel-fuel

Old 06-18-2018, 02:59 PM
daniel044
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had a friend do this before and drove it 10 miles down the road to his house. I went and helped him drain the tank and filled it back up with diesel. Its still running today just find and this was 5 years ago.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:22 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,621 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by ArcticCircle
Say you put 5 gallons of gasoline into a diesel tank of a modern truck (PSD or Cummins) that is already half full of diesel. And then you fired up the truck and let it run and warm up as normal. What would happen, and what parts would need to be replaced? Asking for a friend..
It is nothing but a crap shoot!!!! Some get lucky and drain n refill and go for years, and others make it about 3 blocks.....................BEST not to do it in the first place. Most gas station pumps have little buttons on them that say “DIESEL” “REGULAR” “MID-GRADE’ or “PREMIUM”.......it is always best to push the correct button!! LOL

Old 06-18-2018, 04:32 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Which “modern truck”? It makes a difference. If it was a 6.0 psd, then you’re probably fine. A 6.7 psd, you’re into the crap shoot.
Drain the tank and replace both filters. Carefully blow out the lines with low pressure compressed air when the filters are off. After that, button up and fill with diesel, prime the heck out of it and try it out. The truck is going to tell you how bad it was. Did it die on its own or did your “friend” shut it down before it showed any symptoms? If it got a good swig of gasoline, you’re probably looking at some or all injectors, and the high pressure fuel pump.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 578 Likes on 383 Posts
Looking at an automobile comprehensive insurance claim.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:56 PM
TexasPowerStroke
Freshman User
I added about 5 gal to a 1/2 filled tank to my 2016 last year. I went to an autozone down the road and the manager told me to put a half of quart of transmission fluid in the tank. I was calling bs but he told me he does it to all his three of his 6.0s. Truck hasn't missed a beat 30,000 miles later. The old man at autoze swore by transmission fluid. Says he does it to this day every fill.

In case you were wondering how this happened: this was durring huricane harvey last year and all the gas stations were out of diesel and had signs over the pumps saying so. I finally found one that had diesel, so I waited in line behind a guy with a cummins as he filled up his truck up. As soon as it was my turn, the attendant came running out with the signs saying no diesel. I had pumped about 5 gal of gas by that point. I was beyond pissed and left. I felt bad for the cummins guy who filled his whole tank with gas.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:51 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,730 Likes on 1,328 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasPowerStroke
I added about 5 gal to a 1/2 filled tank to my 2016 last year. I went to an autozone down the road and the manager told me to put a half of quart of transmission fluid in the tank. I was calling bs but he told me he does it to all his three of his 6.0s. Truck hasn't missed a beat 30,000 miles later. The old man at autoze swore by transmission fluid. Says he does it to this day every fill.

In case you were wondering how this happened: this was durring huricane harvey last year and all the gas stations were out of diesel and had signs over the pumps saying so. I finally found one that had diesel, so I waited in line behind a guy with a cummins as he filled up his truck up. As soon as it was my turn, the attendant came running out with the signs saying no diesel. I had pumped about 5 gal of gas by that point. I was beyond pissed and left. I felt bad for the cummins guy who filled his whole tank with gas.
Diesel pumps don't just switch to gasoline when they run out of diesel...

Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 PM
TexasPowerStroke
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Diesel pumps don't just switch to gasoline when they run out of diesel...
Under normal circumstances yes. This diesel pump had gas. I pulled the pump from my tank smelled it and put a little in a plastic bottle. It was gas. There was a state wide shortage of diesel in Texas durring Harvey.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:20 PM
Bill The Cat
Freshman User
My father-in-law did this about 10 years ago while driving his Dodge. Pulled up to the pump, did the credit card ritual, put the diesel nozzle in the tank, pushed the "diesel" button, and the pump computer wouldn't reset to zero and activate the nozzle. For a brief moment he forgot about diesel fuel and grabbed the next (gasoline) nozzle and punched its button. This time the pump worked and he put several gallons in the tank before he had his "Oh $hiitttt!!!!" moment. A local guy saw who owned a salvage yard saw it happen and had him carefully drive the truck to his shop about a mile away. They drained the tank, changed the filter, etc. and put some transmission fluid in the tank and maybe in the filter too (long time ago, can't remember all the details).

He was sure he ruined the engine, but it survived the hour-long trip home, so he continued to drive it. After all these years the truck still runs like new.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Ram2Ford
Junior User

Yikes! Not sure what is worse DEF of gas? Buddy just dumped about a gallon or two , can’t remember how much, till he recognized what he did. Towed it home drained the tank, refilled with diesel and she is smoked. $5-6K later, that was two months ago and he’s still waiting for the dealer to replace injectors etc.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:36 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,730 Likes on 1,328 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasPowerStroke

Under normal circumstances yes. This diesel pump had gas. I pulled the pump from my tank smelled it and put a little in a plastic bottle. It was gas. There was a state wide shortage of diesel in Texas durring Harvey.

So the truck that brings the fuel to the station, and the owner of the station, in anticipation of Harvey, filled the underground diesel tank with gasoline? And they let how many diesel trucks fill up with gasoline?
Did they clean the tank before filling it with gasoline? Is it even legal to fill a diesel tank with gasoline? After Harvey, would the station have the gas pumped out, tank cleaned, and refilled with diesel...remembering to change all the filters as well?

Just doesn't make sense to me...

Old 06-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,621 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
So the truck that brings the fuel to the station, and the owner of the station, in anticipation of Harvey, filled the underground diesel tank with gasoline? And they let how many diesel trucks fill up with gasoline?
Did they clean the tank before filling it with gasoline? Is it even legal to fill a diesel tank with gasoline? After Harvey, would the station have the gas pumped out, tank cleaned, and refilled with diesel...remembering to change all the filters as well?

Just doesn't make sense to me...
Harvey was a low pressure system, therefore sucked the gasoline out of the “GAS” tanks and deposited it into the “DIESEL” tanks!!!!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:27 PM
1olddogtwo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 454 Likes on 283 Posts
It's getting real deep in here.

I was in Houston for Harvey, burning thru 1000's of gals of diesel a day (power distribution)..never had a problem getting fuel.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:49 PM
USSenator
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ram2Ford
Yikes! Not sure what is worse DEF of gas? Buddy just dumped about a gallon or two , can’t remember how much, till he recognized what he did. Towed it home drained the tank, refilled with diesel and she is smoked. $5-6K later, that was two months ago and he’s still waiting for the dealer to replace injectors etc.
DEF would be definitely worse than gas, and similar to adding water. Diesel and gas start at the same place, a barrel of oil. Gas is a bit thinner, and is more volatile, but is essentially very similar.

I would fill it up to the top with Diesel, and go to somewhere you can drain the tank.

Quick Reply: Gasoline in a diesel