2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

7 pin trailer plug charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 08:40 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by JohnnyGaloshes
OK i have an odd problem here and no clue where to go next.

I have a 2018 F350 with the tow package and the box and bumper plugs.3 of my other buddies have the EXACT same setup, on same year truck. We all tow new travel trailers for a living.

My truck and JG truck when we plug in the trailer plug it will NOT work the electric jack, and the battery is not charging.

Frank and Steves truck WILL work the electric jack just by plugging in the trailer and will charge the battery. Like i said, exact same trucks. ALL batteries are tested and working fine.

If i plug in my 7 plug tester, and apply the brake, it shows i have 12v in both plugs (Box and bumper). Yet still not charging the batteries. And no matter what i do, if the battery is dead it will not work the electric jack.This is the same on all trailers, which are all new from manufacturers.

I have been doing research and i have not seen anywhere that there is a fuse for anything like this i need to check, as it runs through the Electric Brake Controller. And, the oddest thing is it does show 12v at the battery and the cables that go to the battery on the trailer.

I'm seriously considering running a 12v key power to the 12v terminal on the plug, like it was with the other SD 16 and prior.

Suggestions??
The good ol' days of just pluggin' in a trailer's 7-pin umbilical appear to be gone, and Ford's new "smart" trailer connectors takes a bit to learn. Actually, quite a bit, IMHO. The discussion above did not include several important set-up steps, so, based on my experience, it may be worth reviewing them.

1) Have you set up and then selected a trailer profile in the instrument cluster information display's Towing menu?
2) If your trailers are equipped with LED tail lamps, then you may need an adapter like the Curt 57003
3) The brake pedal application step is required somewhere in this process, but I must confess that I don't recall exactly where
4) Once the truck recognizes the trailer, you should see a "Trailer Connection OK" message in the display, and the battery charging circuit should be operational
5) Once the truck recognizes the trailer, you should also see the info display default to the Towing menu, and the lane-change feature should change from three blinks to five

There are two fuses in the engine-compartment power distribution box for the trailer tow lighting module: #42 (40 A) and #65 (30 A). I would be surprised if one or both is the source of the problem.

HTH!
Jim / crewzer

Old 06-19-2018, 10:35 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Jim,
When you say trailer profile, are you referring to the brake types or the trailer identity? I used to select "default" for the trailer then clear the miles and de-select the trailer after every pull, then noticed I did not have to choose any trailer (including default). The pop-up says "no trailer selected" but everything works as it should in terms of brakes, lights, and battery charging, without tracking the towed miles.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:39 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I am going to list some additional references here. The Curt 57003 will work ....................... but

A better solution appears to be included with instructions in a PUTCO document. It is referenced in the following threads.

Originally Posted by mwheue
There is a PDF file on how to wire around the trailer controller to have constant 12V at the plug.
See post 12 in below thread
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1521202-no-12-volt-charging-power-in-7-way-trailer-connector.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rom-truck.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-mystery.html

Old 06-27-2018, 04:53 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting note there on trailers with LED's my tt is full LED, I have had no issue with lights or charging. I plug it in select trailer, test lights and brakes and go.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:15 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got my truck and went to go on our maiden voyage towing our TT that we have had. I backed up, plugged in and the jack did not work. I messed with the plug and nothing. Got in the truck and it showed me connected with all my settings that I had programmed for it. But no power to the jack or interior lights. I finally turned the lights on to see if trailer lights worked, and they did. So I knew my plug worked. Went and checked the jack again, and it worked. So for me, it was turning the trucks headlights on that started the charging.

Unless i I pressed the brake pedal in there at some point.

********edited after i went and actually paid attention and tried different things. post below explains.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:51 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by xETERNALx
I just got my truck and went to go on our maiden voyage towing our TT that we have had. I backed up, plugged in and the jack did not work. I messed with the plug and nothing. Got in the truck and it showed me connected with all my settings that I had programmed for it. But no power to the jack or interior lights. I finally turned the lights on to see if trailer lights worked, and they did. So I knew my plug worked. Went and checked the jack again, and it worked. So for me, it was turning the trucks headlights on that started the charging.

Unless i I pressed the brake pedal in there at some point.
​​​​​
it sounds to me like when you turn the lights on OR press the the brake pedal you are creating the resistance require for the 12v line to turn on. Both actions will create the same result. To be clear..... I am ignorant.... But this sounds logical from everything I've read here.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:36 PM
xETERNALx
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I went and hooked u to our TT today in prep for our trip tomorrow. I backed up, left the truck running with the headlights turned on and placed it in park. Got out, plugged in the trailer and the power front jack did NOT work (battery on trailer dead). I checked the running lights on the trailer and they were on. I went to the truck, and pressed the brake pedal. Went back and the power front jack still did NOT work. Went back and placed the vehicle in drive and then back to park. Got out, and the power front jack DID work.

I unplugged and tried again, and had the same outcome. So for me, I have to put the vehicle in drive in order to get power to my trailer (other than running lights).

Old 07-20-2018, 01:53 PM
17_F350_KR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you implemented secure idle with forscan, undo it.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:10 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by wrvond
Jim,
When you say trailer profile, are you referring to the brake types or the trailer identity? I used to select "default" for the trailer then clear the miles and de-select the trailer after every pull, then noticed I did not have to choose any trailer (including default). The pop-up says "no trailer selected" but everything works as it should in terms of brakes, lights, and battery charging, without tracking the towed miles.
Sorry I missed this before. Our old truck is already gone... I’ll have to check this out adfter our new truck arrives.

Thx,
Jim / crewzer