6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Cold air systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 12:43 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If factual evidence makes folks uncomfortable,
they have something to hide/be ashamed of.
But you know what they say, a sucker born.....

Old 07-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by c502cid
The automotive forums are filled with know it alls who are sure they are right, and only they are right. However, a good part of the automotive aftermarket sells, "candy". It doesn't have to do anything but be right in the mind of the purchaser. All of these products don't need your approval to make someone happy. You can be sure that other know it alls on other forums scream FACT, say look at the DATA, PROVE to me that it's not SNAKE OIL that their "insert other make here" are better than Fords.

This year will be my 33rd year in a row going to SEMA working for an aftermarket manufacturer. One of the worst things that happened to that show is when they made it basically open to anyone, and then the "PROVE FACT DATA" guys come in to argue instead of look at the latest products the industry has to offer.

You don't have to buy it if you don't want to, it's a free country and thankfully we have choices. That is a FACT.
Hahahahahaha.

So, as a DIRECT answer to the question that the OP asked in his opening post, are you saying the cold air system(s) is/are an improvement? Are there certain ones that are "known" to be better, or offer better performance improvements? If you are saying it IS an improvement, how are you measuring said improvement? It's the OP's question, not mine. Does it, or does it NOT improve performance. If you say "yes, it does", what are you basing that answer on? Do you have FACTS and DATA to validate said claims? Like, oh, I don't know dyno run sheets? How else would you measure "improvement"?

Remember, he's (the OP, not me) asking about performance improvements. Not whether or not neon lights under his wheel wells will look "cool", or whether or not he should add clearance lights to his truck, (and be open to personal taste). The only way I can think of to determine whether or not a "mod" gives an actual performance gain is to test it. The best way I can think of to do this would be to first, run the vehicle as-is on a dyno, then add that single mod, and then run same vehicle back on the exact same dyno again, and compare dyno runs.

Why does that sound so shocking? Why would a kit manufacturer shy away from doing exactly that, and post said results all over the place?

So do you work for a vendor that makes performance add on kits?

Didn't mean to "trigger" you, but any performance kit vendor that evades actual dyno testing and proving their stuff works, should pop up huge red flags to just about everyone.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:05 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra Blanca
Is it worth installing a cold air intake system on my 2017 f250 6.2? Are they worth it and if so, what is the improvement? Or should I just throw in a K&N filter?
I've stayed out of this until now because I had no desire to get I to any arguments of this CAI or KN filter thing but this is my experience over the years. On my 1991 f250 with a 460 auto I installed a Banks Cat back system that came with their intake system with a KN filter, the whole system made a world of difference because that motor was restricted from the factory and the gains were amazing but because I pull my trucks hard the transmission wasn't up to the power gains and the noise gain in the cab greatly increased.
I also installed a Banks Cat Back with their intake system and KN filter on my 2000 F350 V10 DRW and for what cost the gains were so small if any at all it was a waist on money on that truck.
On my present truck F350 6.2 DRW I just left it stock and use Motocraft filters and enjoy the lower noise level in the cab.
As far as KN filters I've used them on 3 EFI trucks and have never had a problem with any oil contamination or passing any dirt and one of the trucks was a work truck and it was around a lot of dirt but I cleaned and oiled it the way they recommended, over oiling is the killer.
The air intakes on the newer trucks seam to be well designed for air flow and lower noise level but they aren't very cool looking but again I don't like excessive cab noise when pulling so I'm staying stock but to each their own.
Denny

Old 07-13-2018, 04:46 AM
workingdan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed a k&n replacement filter in my 17 for the fact that I can clean it and reuse it. I have been cleaning my filters for years. Yes over oiling is bad.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:07 AM
c502cid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
Hahahahahaha.

So, as a DIRECT answer to the question that the OP asked in his opening post, are you saying the cold air system(s) is/are an improvement? Are there certain ones that are "known" to be better, or offer better performance improvements? If you are saying it IS an improvement, how are you measuring said improvement? It's the OP's question, not mine. Does it, or does it NOT improve performance. If you say "yes, it does", what are you basing that answer on? Do you have FACTS and DATA to validate said claims? Like, oh, I don't know dyno run sheets? How else would you measure "improvement"?

Remember, he's (the OP, not me) asking about performance improvements. Not whether or not neon lights under his wheel wells will look "cool", or whether or not he should add clearance lights to his truck, (and be open to personal taste). The only way I can think of to determine whether or not a "mod" gives an actual performance gain is to test it. The best way I can think of to do this would be to first, run the vehicle as-is on a dyno, then add that single mod, and then run same vehicle back on the exact same dyno again, and compare dyno runs.

Why does that sound so shocking? Why would a kit manufacturer shy away from doing exactly that, and post said results all over the place?

So do you work for a vendor that makes performance add on kits?

Didn't mean to "trigger" you, but any performance kit vendor that evades actual dyno testing and proving their stuff works, should pop up huge red flags to just about everyone.
There is a dyno sheet included in the kit. Triggered? ha, hardly. I get know it alls like you all the time wanting to impress me and everyone else in the industry with their knowledge. Nope to performance, but yes to a manufacturer that parts are discussed every day on the forums. I could add to the information but it's brain surgeons like yourself that ruin it for me, so I don't. Can't wait to install my Magnaflow exhaust this weekend, but I'll wait for you to pipe in with your expert knowledge. Which is louder, the exhaust, the intake, or your mouth?

Old 07-20-2018, 08:59 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Lots of haters out there! I believe all these cold air intakes are actually, hot air intakes. I also believe they do add a small power increase that you cant feel, but can here. And I also believe that they don't filter as well as stock but the difference wont wear out your motor over its expected life. And as a gearhead I will buy intakes and other goodies because stock doesn't cut it for me! I just siped my new mountain hunting boots tread, because, well, they were stock! Even my lawnmower has an altered intake. Why not!

Old 07-22-2018, 02:08 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by c502cid
There is a dyno sheet included in the kit. Triggered? ha, hardly. I get know it alls like you all the time wanting to impress me and everyone else in the industry with their knowledge. Nope to performance, but yes to a manufacturer that parts are discussed every day on the forums. I could add to the information but it's brain surgeons like yourself that ruin it for me, so I don't. Can't wait to install my Magnaflow exhaust this weekend, but I'll wait for you to pipe in with your expert knowledge. Which is louder, the exhaust, the intake, or your mouth?
Ah, I had forgotten you existed.

How quaint, another case of Keyboard Courage. And original too. Who knew people could get obnoxious and lippy on the interwebs?

Do whatever you want. I don't give two flying shizznits out of a shaved monkey's butt what you say or do. The lint on my monitor is more significant than you.

I could go on and on about how you "should" treat potential customers, both in person, as well as in electronic correspondence, and maybe it would do you some good, but I highly doubt it.

Just one "pro-tip" though, acting like a total jackwagon is always going to lead to a No Sale.

Every time.

I DO know a lot about sales though.

Maybe you could take a class or something?

Old 07-22-2018, 02:59 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
OK boys play nice!
Denny

Old 07-23-2018, 07:42 AM
JKru
Cargo Master
Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Old 07-24-2018, 07:02 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,626 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Good morning, guys n gals. It has been quite a while since I have lurked about here in the 6.2 section, but since I used to have one I thought I would snoop a bit.
I bought my 6.2 slightly used, and it had an Airaid CAI system on it when I bought it. WhenI started pulling my 5er with the truck, it got obnoxiuoly loud in the cabin so I converted it back to stock and guess what.......my empty fuel mileage actually improved with the stock system by about 1 MPG if I remember correctly!! I am an old geezer and don’t need to make more noise when I romp on the skinny pedal just to make more noise either.
Prior to that, I had bought a Jeep Wrangler, slightly used......it had a K&N CAI system on it. Because I was frequently running in dusty conditions I converted it back to stock also..........same thing.....about 1 MPG improvement in fuel mileage overall.
Neither of these instances were just a one time check, but over the time I owned the vehicles. And I am not saying that it will happen every time with every vehicle, but was just my experience.
As far as dyno runs are concerned, I would have to see several runs done by an independent tester to believe any of them. The tests by the marketers is just advertising, nothing more, and no proof of anything.
As far as improved air flow is concerned, unless some head work, forced induction, or some other form of modification is done, the stock filter will flow all the air a stock engine is capable of pumping. And in fact, by opening up the intake with a stock engine, it *may* flatten out at low end, then come on stronger at higher RPM.....hence, the butt dyno is telling you that it did great things, when in reality, it actually lost a little. ONLY actual dyno runs, along with ET’s at the drag strip can tell for sure.