Dealer Warranty Question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Dealer Warranty Question

Old 06-16-2018, 07:17 PM
Flynman
New User
Flynman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dealer Warranty Question

I purchased a new 2018 F350 6.7L Super Duty with an extended 8yr 100,000 mile Factory warranty. Is it possible to cancel this and get a warranty with longer coverage?? I purchased the truck 4/25/18.

thanks,
Keith R

Old 06-16-2018, 07:52 PM
Singleton3rd
Freshman User
Singleton3rd is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I got mine, I could not go longer then 8 years. Mileage max was 150k.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:54 PM
wntrwhte
Junior User
wntrwhte is starting off with a positive reputation.
Max is 8 years, 150k miles on a Ford ESP warranty. There is a wraparound product available that may go to 10 years, but it is 3rd party. Either way, I think at 8 yr/100k miles, you probably have an idea what you're in for with the vehicle.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:33 PM
Blwnsmoke
Elder User
Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Flynman View Post
I purchased a new 2018 F350 6.7L Super Duty with an extended 8yr 100,000 mile Factory warranty. Is it possible to cancel this and get a warranty with longer coverage?? I purchased the truck 4/25/18.

thanks,
Keith R
as stated, 8 yrs is the longest, you can do 125k or 150k. Yes you can cancel but there will be a prorated refund and processing fee.

I hope you bought the esp at cost otherwise you paid too much.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:35 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
oklarado is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Flynman View Post

thanks,
Keith R
I'd cancel it and save the money, you have a 80% chance of coming out ahead. I know you didn't ask but extended warranties rarely work out in some ones favor. If you think about it they need to sell them for more than they will spend on repairs, and this is all before they add marketing and commission fees into them.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:05 AM
Blwnsmoke
Elder User
Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Blwnsmoke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by oklarado View Post
I'd cancel it and save the money, you have a 80% chance of coming out ahead. I know you didn't ask but extended warranties rarely work out in some ones favor. If you think about it they need to sell them for more than they will spend on repairs, and this is all before they add marketing and commission fees into them.
I'd rather spend $2,200 on a 70k vehicle and know that I am covered for the 8 years and while making payments. Have a link to this 80% stat? YMMV

Old 06-17-2018, 06:52 AM
wntrwhte
Junior User
Most warranty companies actually assume that 80% of the total funds collected for the warranty will be paid out in warranty work (across the whole warranty pool). How much return you get depends on the price you paid - remember that Ford themselves only gets what they sell it to the dealer for, so assume that is the number they expect to pay out on your vehicle on average. I paid I think $2055 for my 7yr/100k, dealer cost was around 1900, that means they reasonably expect to spend $1520 on repairs over the course of 7yr. I could be the person with no repairs or I could be the person who nukes a transmission, either way I'm playing the odds.

With the amount of electronics present in cars today, I've started buying warranties. Chasing electrical gremlins at $70/hr independent rate is not my idea of a good time.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:55 AM
04TXLightning
New User
04TXLightning is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought a 10 yr 150k through ford esp when I bought my 2017

Old 06-17-2018, 09:36 AM
Jlepper
Freshman User
Jlepper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Extended warranty question. With the factory warranty of 3 years, 5 years is a 7 year warranty only really a 4 year, 2 year warranty or does it start once the factory warranty is up? Iím 1 year into my SD and decided to wait on the extended warranty until the factory warranty is up and I have some history both with my truck and watching what problems others are having down the road. 12k miles so far 1/2 towing 8k lbs and itís be flawless.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:07 AM
wntrwhte
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jlepper View Post
Extended warranty question. With the factory warranty of 3 years, 5 years is a 7 year warranty only really a 4 year, 2 year warranty or does it start once the factory warranty is up? Iím 1 year into my SD and decided to wait on the extended warranty until the factory warranty is up and I have some history both with my truck and watching what problems others are having down the road. 12k miles so far 1/2 towing 8k lbs and itís be flawless.
from the in service date. The big advantage is that itís bumper to bumper, depending on which one you buy, which makes a difference if you drive on either end of the normal - if you drive 25k a year, your factory bumper to bumper is really only about 16 months, so you could buy a 4yr/100k and get a full 100k miles under warranty. If like me you only do a few k a year, you can get 8 years when you might have only gotten 3 but not had enough mileage for anything to fail yet.

I canít say I have ever had to use a power train warranty, but Iíve always had to use a bumper to bumper.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:29 AM
davidpacificnw
Senior User
davidpacificnw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I know you didn't ask but extended warranties rarely work out in some ones favor. If you think about it they need to sell them for more than they will spend on repairs, and this is all before they add marketing and commission fees into them.
Neither does home insurance, but would you cancel your insurance on that? This is not a 'warranty", it is essentially "insurance" against failure of certain parts, components, etc. There is a difference. Like insurance, Ford and any other beyond warranty service plan has a ton of actuaries crunch numbers to figure out what will fail and when. So, they price it to make money. Nothing wrong with that. Some will not have to use their insurance and some will find it a godsend.

If you plan on keeping your vehicle for 8 years, I highly recommend an ESP.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:39 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
s
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw View Post
Neither does home insurance, but would you cancel your insurance on that? This is not a 'warranty", it is essentially "insurance" against failure of certain parts, components, etc. There is a difference. Like insurance, Ford and any other beyond warranty service plan has a ton of actuaries crunch numbers to figure out what will fail and when. So, they price it to make money. Nothing wrong with that. Some will not have to use their insurance and some will find it a godsend.

If you plan on keeping your vehicle for 8 years, I highly recommend an ESP.
I don't buy lottery tickets, rarely gamble in Vegas, and I don't buy extended warranties. Why give money away when its a fact that odds are I will lose.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Blwnsmoke
Elder User
s
I don't buy lottery tickets, rarely gamble in Vegas, and I don't buy extended warranties. Why give money away when its a fact that odds are I will lose.
all of my previous warranties have paid for themselves and then some. Guess I played the odds correctly.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:44 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke View Post
all of my previous warranties have paid for themselves and then some. Guess I played the odds correctly.
You did, must be a lot of others that didn't, or Ford warranty would be out of business.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:48 PM
RobRoy7768
Freshman User
RobRoy7768 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford has insurance on there ESP program. The risk is spread out. That's why they are so affordable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.