Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

96-97 Explorer 5.0L Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 08:10 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
96-97 Explorer 5.0L Oil Cooler

Hi Guys and Gals,
I normally hang out at the 1948 F1 Forum but I have some questions about the 5.0L oil cooler that someone here may be able to answer. I am putting a Windsor 427 crate motor in my 48 F1 and want to use the Explorer oil cooler with it. This is the oil cooler that came on the 1996 and 97 5.0L Explorers. I have an oil cooler I bought off of eBay. Since Ford no longer makes parts for these I can't get the o-rings from Ford.

Does anyone know what size is the o-ring for the oil cooler assembly to the block? On the Ford diagram it is part No. 2 and the part number is F6TZ6L621AA.

What is the size of the o-ring for the Oil Cooler Assembly Bolt? This one is at the head of the bolt and seals between the oil cooler and the bolt head. The partial part number I have is 6A642.

On the sizes I would need the diameter of the o-ring and then the cross section diameter. Also, are they Metric or Standard?

If I have the sizes I can source them from an o-ring supplier.

I've searched on the Internet and so far I have drawn a blank.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide.

Philip
Also Known As: AZAV8

Old 06-16-2018, 05:42 PM
rpaxton939
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AZAV8
Hi Guys and Gals,
I normally hang out at the 1948 F1 Forum but I have some questions about the 5.0L oil cooler that someone here may be able to answer. I am putting a Windsor 427 crate motor in my 48 F1 and want to use the Explorer oil cooler with it. This is the oil cooler that came on the 1996 and 97 5.0L Explorers. I have an oil cooler I bought off of eBay. Since Ford no longer makes parts for these I can't get the o-rings from Ford.

Does anyone know what size is the o-ring for the oil cooler assembly to the block? On the Ford diagram it is part No. 2 and the part number is F6TZ6L621AA.

What is the size of the o-ring for the Oil Cooler Assembly Bolt? This one is at the head of the bolt and seals between the oil cooler and the bolt head. The partial part number I have is 6A642.

On the sizes I would need the diameter of the o-ring and then the cross section diameter. Also, are they Metric or Standard?

If I have the sizes I can source them from an o-ring supplier.

I've searched on the Internet and so far I have drawn a blank.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide.

Philip
Also Known As: AZAV8

Is this the same cooler that is on the 1998 Explorer 5.0? If so I will need the two O-rings also. I took a 5.0 out of a 98 Explorer to go into my 54 F-100. I could use the existing O-rings but I want to use new ones as long as I have it apart. Please let me know if they are the same and if you find any. I will start looking around also.

Bob

Old 06-16-2018, 09:47 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
rpaxton939,
Yes, this is the same oil cooler as on the 1998.

This one:

I have since checked with the local Ford dealer and their parts guy did not have a substitute part number for either of the o-rings. I also checked at the local Ace Hardware which stocks a large number of o-rings and they did not stock any that would fit into either location.

I have measured the two o-ring grooves and I am checking the dimensions against standard o-rings to see which ones I can order to see if they fit. It is logical that Ford would have specified a standard o-ring so they could have more than one supplier. I believe these are standard AS568 o-rings. Now I just have to figure out which ones I need to fit the two grooves. These would be face sealed o-ring glands and the o-ring material would have to be resistant to motor oils so Viton rubber will be acceptable.

If anyone has already solved this problem, please let me know. Thanks.

Philip

Old 06-16-2018, 11:52 PM
rpaxton939
Tuned
Philip,
I just sent a PM to NumberDummy on the forum. He is very good at locating Ford parts. I will get back to you if he replys with a source for the o-rings.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:00 PM
rpaxton939
Tuned
The two part numbers I got from NumberDummy are:
Oil Filter Adapter: F6TZ-6L621-AA
Oil Filter Center Bolt: F0TZ-6749-A

See if your Ford parts guy can get a matchup.
I asked NumberDummy if he knows a specific place to get these parts. If he responds, I will let you know.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:48 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check with napa or a place that deals with heavy equipment or hoses,they should be able to match some up for you,

Old 06-17-2018, 11:20 PM
rpaxton939
Tuned
Update at 00:07 Monday AM:

Number Dummy says neither of these o-rings are available through Ford. However, Green Sales Co. in Cincinnati, Ohio has 129 of the F0TZ-6749-A Oil Center Bolt and none of the F6TZ-6L621-AA.

He said to call them for assistance at 800- 543-4959 because it is possible one or both have been updated and they have more reference material than he has.

I am going to call Green Sales in the morning and let you know what they say.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:50 AM
rpaxton939
Tuned
Philip,
I just called Green Sales Co. (Aztec Automotive Inc.) They do have the O-ring for the center bolt #F0TZ-6749-A. Cost is $.25 each but a $5.00 minimum order. I ordered two rings for myself since this is the only place to get them. The other O-ring #F6TZ-6L621-AA is not available from them. I asked if he had a resource that I could contact. He said he had no place else to get it. There must be a place on this planet that could provide this O-ring. I will continue to look and let you know if I find anything. Please let me know if you run across a source.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:01 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
rpaxton939,
I may have a source for both of them. Summit Racing sells this Ford Racing Oil Filter Adapter, M-6880-A50.

Since it bolts right onto the Windsor oil filter location the o-ring to seal the adapter to the block should be the same size as the one on our oil cooler. The bolt to connect it to the block needs to be the same size as the one on our oil cooler so that one is probably the same size as the one on our bolt. Summit had two Fel Pro numbers listed in the comments for the oil filter adapter. I ordered the two Fel Pro o-ring gaskets with some other parts from Summit this morning and when they arrive I will let you know if they fit our oil cooler. The Summit Fel Pro numbers are FEL-72494 and FEL-FP3330537.

Sometimes you have to check and see if there is a similar part that is currently made that may have the same parts as what you need.

Philip

Old 06-18-2018, 12:07 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
rpaston939,
Looking at our oil cooler, it appears that the black, sheet metal cooler may bolt to the cast aluminum 90 degree casting. I was thinking that if that is the case one could make up an oil cooler using a Ford Modular V8 pancake oil cooler and the M-6880-A50 oil filter adapter. The water connections on the pancake oil coolers are 3/4 in. hose connections so connecting to the coolant system may be a little troublesome, but fabricating something should be easy enough.

Philip

Old 06-20-2018, 08:25 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Originally Posted by AZAV8
rpaxton939,
I may have a source for both of them. Summit Racing sells this Ford Racing Oil Filter Adapter, M-6880-A50.

Since it bolts right onto the Windsor oil filter location the o-ring to seal the adapter to the block should be the same size as the one on our oil cooler. The bolt to connect it to the block needs to be the same size as the one on our oil cooler so that one is probably the same size as the one on our bolt. Summit had two Fel Pro numbers listed in the comments for the oil filter adapter. I ordered the two Fel Pro o-ring gaskets with some other parts from Summit this morning and when they arrive I will let you know if they fit our oil cooler. The Summit Fel Pro numbers are FEL-72494 and FEL-FP3330537.

Sometimes you have to check and see if there is a similar part that is currently made that may have the same parts as what you need.

Philip
The two Fel Pro o-rings arrived today from Summit and they do NOT fit our 96-98 Explorer oil cooler. I guess I am too logical for the Ford engineers.

I will go through the o-ring sizing information I have and will select a couple of sizes I think might fit and order those and see which ones fit our o-ring glands.

Philip

Old 06-21-2018, 08:53 AM
rpaxton939
Tuned
Your thinking is way out of line for Ford. They change things about every ten minutes. I am convinced that nothing is easy! When I receive the rings I ordered I will let you know if they fit.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:09 PM
rpaxton939
Tuned
I found a o-ring at Ace Hdwr today that is a good fit for the center bolt. I need your e-mail address so I can send you a picture. I can't get it to work on this forum

Old 06-28-2018, 07:15 AM
AZAV8
More Turbo
rpaxton939,
The picture of the o-ring from Ace Hardware should be the correct size; but you need to know it the rubber is compatible with motor oils and if the rubber is soft enough to get the right "squish" or durometer.

I found a place that sells o-rings online in a huge selection of sizes. I have ordered some o-rings from them based on the sizes of the o-ring glands I measured on the oil cooler. I also selected a rubber that will resist the motor oils and the correct durometer. I should have them towards the end of this week. I will let you know and post about how to select them.

Thanks for all of your efforts.

Philip

Old 06-30-2018, 08:59 AM
AZAV8
More Turbo
I took the oil cooler apart to separate the right angle aluminum casting from the steel sheet metal cooler. I wanted to find out if there was another replaceable o-ring between the two parts. I removed the center threaded "bolt" that the oil filter threads onto using a 12 mm hex socket. Here is a picture of the disassembled oil cooler.

As you can see the oil cooler has a non-replaceable seal on it's mounting face. So once these parts are cleaned up, they will go back together. Make sure you mark the orientation of the two parts before you take them apart.

So the only two replaceable o-rings on the oil cooler are the o-ring between the engine block and the cooler and the one which seals the mounting bolt.

Philip

Quick Reply: 96-97 Explorer 5.0L Oil Cooler