2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Not overly impressed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:31 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
So many of you guys are telling the OP to push the pedal harder, or use manual gearing. If you read his original post...he's got the pedal to the floor and he's tried manual gearing. Nevertheless, it still doesn't maintain speed as well as his previous GMC. I'd note that this echoes the comparison test TFL Truck did in the rockies pulling a max load...the GMC did best, RAM second, Ford third...despite best torque or horsepower. This truck was a 4.10 dually. BUT...because of GM's lower towing limits, they were all towing at the GM's max...but under the max for Ford and RAM. I'm thinking with an even heavier trailer, Ford would have done best because everyone would have to be slower and the Ford engine would be in the sweet spot with gearing.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:54 PM
Msmith1968
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I pulled my 5er back over the Rockies today. I took some of the suggestions here. Moved my peddles, readjusted the seat etc. The wind was significantly better and the truck did much better on flat and moderate hills maintaining my 70mph cruise control setting. However, on the big mountain passes things where only slightly improved. I was able to maintain 50-55 MPH on long 6% grades and had to shift from 4th to 3rd on the steepest portions to maintain that speed. RPM in 4th gear from 65 MPH down to 55 MPH was in the 2200-2500 range and 55MPH to 50 MPH in 3rd gear was 2600-3000 RPM. I’m not sure if new 3.73 or 4.10 would help and I’m not pulling this pass that often so I’m not sure I’m going to worry about it. Just a little disappointed that with all this torque and power that it seems to struggle on these hills where my last truck did better. I did weigh the trailer at my storage facility and with a full tank of water and full waste tanks it weighed in at 16,233 pounds. Certainly not light.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:56 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Contrary to some thinking, peak torque, rear ratio, tire size, and fuel type aren't what matters for maintaining speed towing big hills. It is all about horsepower. If you, for an extreme example, had a 2.73 rear with 37" tires pulling a hill in a gear that had your 6.7 at 2800 RPMs next to my 4.30 with 31.5" tires in a gear that had my 6.7 at 2800 RPMs, they'd pull the same. If you are in the 2600-2900 RPM range pulling the speeds you like to climb, changing the rear will not help one bit with the hill performance.

I like my short 4.30's for starting, throttle feel, and much less shifting when towing. I climb mountains in 5th. If I had a taller gear and climbed in 4th (SRW with a 3.55 For example), it would perform the same. (Ignoring the 1000# more F450 weight.)

Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey don't worry about it. I'll pull it with my 6.2 and 4.30s. Hehehehe! Sorry just had to. Can't say I would not be disappointed too with the truck. If it's hot out there maybe that could be factor. Maybe the truck is limiting the power. Kinda like Ram and the gear hold feature they have on high load situations. Just a thought.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:02 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,739 Likes on 1,330 Posts
Isn't there a good bit of torque management in the first three gears? This could be part of the OP's 'problem' when it shifts back to 3rd...

Old 06-19-2018, 09:39 AM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
After talking to Ford diesel owners for years and hearing all of the stories for about how a Powerstroke could tow 15k to 20k up any grade and maintain 65 mph, I too was quite disappointed with the lack of power of my new 6.7 diesel (same configuration as the OP) but I have gotten over it because it does handle the weight of my trailer really well. My 05 Dodge with a very mild tune actually feels like it has more power than my 17 Ford 6.7 but does not handle a heavy trailer nearly as well. I'm probably most disappionted with the lack of passing power while towing with the Ford but again, I really like the truck overall. I've never been one to overstate the performance of something I've purchased just to make myself feel good like so many people do.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:55 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CO Wapiti
After talking to Ford diesel owners for years and hearing all of the stories for about how a Powerstroke could tow 15k to 20k up any grade and maintain 65 mph, I too was quite disappointed with the lack of power of my new 6.7 diesel (same configuration as the OP) but I have gotten over it because it does handle the weight of my trailer really well. My 05 Dodge with a very mild tune actually feels like it has more power than my 17 Ford 6.7 but does not handle a heavy trailer nearly as well. I'm probably most disappionted with the lack of passing power while towing with the Ford but again, I really like the truck overall. I've never been one to overstate the performance of something I've purchased just to make myself feel good like so many people do.
Well, you hit on a good point, expectations. In the same vein, you'll have guys say they get the same fuel mileage "loaded or unloaded", which is a physical impossibility (against the laws of physics and all that). It takes power to do all the work you're talking about. One needs to pull a heavy load with a lesser motor before they can appreciate a modern 1,000 ft lb diesel .

Most of us should remember the time that RV'ers would be the cause of many a traffic jam in the past. This is because they could not go any faster. Now I hear people complaining about not being about pull their 20,000 lb toy hauler at high way speeds, zipping in and out of traffic like a mini cooper. High quality problems I say.

When pulling a load it is slow and steady that wins the game. Pick the right gear to keep the motor at the upper range of peak tongue and settle in for the ride. If you don't have any peddle left then downshift and slow down. Every thing has limitations, even the Ford super duty.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by toymaster
Well, you hit on a good point, expectations. In the same vein, you'll have guys say they get the same fuel mileage "loaded or unloaded", which is a physical impossibility (against the laws of physics and all that). It takes power to do all the work you're talking about. One needs to pull a heavy load with a lesser motor before they can appreciate a modern 1,000 ft lb diesel .

Most of us should remember the time that RV'ers would be the cause of many a traffic jam in the past. This is because they could not go any faster. Now I hear people complaining about not being about pull their 20,000 lb toy hauler at high way speeds, zipping in and out of traffic like a mini cooper. High quality problems I say.

When pulling a load it is slow and steady that wins the game. Pick the right gear to keep the motor at the upper range of peak tongue and settle in for the ride. If you don't have any peddle left then downshift and slow down. Every thing has limitations, even the Ford super duty.
Also, in spite of all *FORDS* being the same specs (HPand Torque), very seldom will any two trucks perform the same. I had my ‘15 KR dually 3.73 gears, etc. that was problematic. And now have my ‘16 KR dually 3.73 gears, etc. both equipped the same. In spite of being problematic, the 15 would pull most hills 1 gear higher than my 16 does. This is with the samr 41’Raptor, loaded the same. This is all up and down the Rocky Mountain states from the canadian border to the mexican border. Set the cruise between 65 and 70. Both trucks go up the hills at the same speed, just where the 15 would go up in 5th, the 16 goes up in 4th. All temperatures are the same at equal ambient air temperatures. This is one reason that I find these “TRUCK TEST” comparisons to be just what they are worth.........a grain of salt.
Also, as stated, the torque management can have a part in this also.....does anyone on here REALLY know how it works? Or are all just assuming they *know*? I had a 97 Kenworth (I know, apples and oranges) with a Cummins 410 they called ESP+. When leaving a stop sign loaded, it was a dog; gave me about 25 lb boost and took forever to get up to speed. BUT........... get into a hill, foot on the go pedal and just start dropping RPM, the boost would come up to 35 PSI, and one would need a big dog to stay in front of it. There were several guys I worked with that had trucks with 450’s and 500’s that hated me!! LOL

Old 06-19-2018, 10:44 AM
Msmith1968
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to be clear, I was making a comparison to my LML Duramax, which had less horsepower and less torque, compared to my new 6.7 Powerstroke with higher ratings. I’m pulling the same trailer and the Duramax simply pulled these mountain ranges and passes better. This obviously is a disappointment to me as I like to maintain my 65-68 MPH range regardless of pulling on flat land or pulling up a mountain pass. I do recognize that I am pulling a mini houses behind my truck, and stability, slow and steady speeds, and being safe are very important. This truck certainly does all of that and I am absolutely not disappointed in this truck as a whole. The technology alone is enough to make me overcome the down fall of not being able to drive up a hill as fast. The main objective of my original post is to ask for advice and others experiences with pulling these large loads and if there is a possible solution. For example, could I possibly add a tune or an emissions delete to gain more power. At the end of the day, if I can only go over a pass at 55 MPH then I guess I get to my destination 5 minutes later than expected. Not a huge deal.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Msmith1968
Just to be clear, I was making a comparison to my LML Duramax, which had less horsepower and less torque, compared to my new 6.7 Powerstroke with higher ratings. I’m pulling the same trailer and the Duramax simply pulled these mountain ranges and passes better. This obviously is a disappointment to me as I like to maintain my 65-68 MPH range regardless of pulling on flat land or pulling up a mountain pass. I do recognize that I am pulling a mini houses behind my truck, and stability, slow and steady speeds, and being safe are very important. This truck certainly does all of that and I am absolutely not disappointed in this truck as a whole. The technology alone is enough to make me overcome the down fall of not being able to drive up a hill as fast. The main objective of my original post is to ask for advice and others experiences with pulling these large loads and if there is a possible solution. For example, could I possibly add a tune or an emissions delete to gain more power. At the end of the day, if I can only go over a pass at 55 MPH then I guess I get to my destination 5 minutes later than expected. Not a huge deal.
On all that, I don’t know what really to tell you. Maybe, if you ever get the chance, pull a hill with a similar equipped late model Super Duty pulling a similar load and compare. Or go to Ford Dealer and talk. What can that hurt? Maybe they can find an issue.....who knows???? I do know, that in my travels, with either of my 6.7’s not one brand X nor brand Y ever has passed me with a similar load unless he was running 75-80 MPH before the hill. And of course, with my ‘15 and my ‘16; neither one had the new “Torque management” in them. Although I have not, in my travels, pulled the Ike, I quite often get to pull the Davis Dam hill here in AZ (Where the SAE J2807 tow test is done) and have never had an issue, even when it is 110*F! Just go up the hill without issue, and no one passes me with a big load. Hope you can figure it out.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:24 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Purchased a 2018 CCLB SRW Platinum......

Yestersay I pulled my 15k Solitude 5th Wheel over the I-70 mountain range in Colorado and I was not very impressed. It seemed like the truck was hunting for gears, with no throttle left to get up these hills any faster then about 35-40 mph. I started using manual transmission control to keep it on a lower gear to get power but the truck just seemed to struggle. I know your can’t race up hills with this weight but I expected to be able to maintain 60 mph on a 4-6% grade. It also kept shifting into 4th gear while on flat road going 68 mph, again like it was struggling to keep up or find the right gear. It was somewhat windy so I’ll give that some latitude Honestly, My old GMC pulled up these hills doing 65 no problem. Is there anyway to get more throttle response out of this truck or possible change gears. Any thoughts. Other than this I reallly do enjoy the truck.......
It’s diesel with 3.55. My duramax was 3.73 gears.
Smith, What you are feeling are the gears and the final gear reduction, tire O.D. The platinum comes with 34" tires, this coupled with the 3.55 ring and pinion makes for a higher geared truck. High gears for better MPG and worse for towing. I'm sure your GMC had ~31" tires on it, coupled with the lower R&P ratio give you more towing power/torque. To make up the difference you have to use a lower gear in the transmission and due to the limit engine RPM range means you have to go slower to put the same amount of power to the ground. I hate to say it but, the next generation 10 speed trans would help a lot in this situation.

Personally, I have always chosen the higher gear set in my 1 tons (my DD) and the lowest I could get (4.88) in my heavier trucks. However, the combo of 3.55 and 34" stock tires gives me pause.... but this is all Ford currently offers in my DD configuration (CC LB SRW high trim diesel). I would have loved to get 4.10s and run 37" tires.....

Old 06-19-2018, 12:39 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by harmanrk
Another thing to keep in mind as this is a SRW truck we are talking about, is once it drops to 3rd, getting back to 4th on the grade may not be possible due to the torque management, for 1st - 3rd on the SRW trucks. If you did not have enough torque to hold 4th, and the computer drops to 3rd, but the engine management system does not allow you as much torque in 3rd as you had if 4th to begin with.
No offense but I have doubts about the way you think TM works. TM should cut power so the rear wheels will not roast off however, I'm sure the engineers will allow full power in a towing situation above a certain speed. It would be really interesting to know exactly which parameters the PCM looks at when determining how much power to allow the motor to make. At a minimum I would say it would be the individual wheel speed in relation to the overall vehicle speed. At over ~25-30 mph in 3rd gear with all wheels turning the same speed I'd say it would be highly unlikely for the PCM to be limiting available torque.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:56 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Smith, What you are feeling are the gears and the final gear reduction, tire O.D. The platinum comes with 34" tires, this coupled with the 3.55 ring and pinion makes for a higher geared truck. High gears for better MPG and worse for towing...
The SRW with 34" tires and a 3.55 is almost perfect for pulling mountains per my excessive analysis when deciding what truck to drive. It should spin around 2700 RPMs in 4th at 65 and hit peak HP (2800 RPMs) at 67 MPH. You will have over 95% of the engine's power available from ~62 - 70 MPH. You will not be able to improve it's pulling performance by changing gears if you want to climb at those speeds. You can make it worse though!

The 3.55 SRW with 20" tires, 4.10 DRW F350 and 4.30 DRW F450 are very similar regarding where they hit peak HP when climbing - the DRW's just do it in 5th instead of 4th. The 3.55 DRW is the worst combination for these speeds IMO (3045 RPMs @ 70 in 4th, 2270 in 5th - ugh).

Old 06-19-2018, 05:06 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
^^^^^ Do you mind posting your in-depth analysis? I'm sure you did it in excel or other spread sheet.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:19 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
^^^^^ Do you mind posting your in-depth analysis? I'm sure you did it in excel or other spread sheet.
Here's a image of part of the analysis. The "Speed @ RPM" column is to see how fast you can drive in a particular gear, assuming you don't want to run over 3000 RPMs. I used 87 instead of 90 in the F450's right column because that's where the speed limiter is set on these trucks. The tire revs/mile are a little higher than what you'd get calculating it from the nominal diameter because the tire get's smaller when loaded. Those numbers are from Ford's spec sheets. The SRW was with the 20" wheels.

Quick Reply: Not overly impressed.