Some hot starts are lengthy, ideas? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Some hot starts are lengthy, ideas?

Old 07-10-2018, 02:05 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Leaking injector ? Simplest is to pull the spark plugs and read them.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:42 AM
motojoe35
New User
motojoe35 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did some online reading about OEM (not foreign) injectors when looking to replace mine with new or re-manufactured. I found that the lifespan for an injector is around 1 trillion cycles, and that they do not mechanically wear out. Typically an injector will fail because of an electrical open, electrical short, or foreign material clogged or gummed up.

My van had also sat for 5 years before i bought it. Most likely why my fuel filter was bad.

I chose to give the OEM flow matched e-bay kits a try. I have about 5k miles on them and have not had an injector issue, or hard starts.

X2 on checking the plug color.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:54 AM
jeffreyclay
Senior User
jeffreyclay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by motojoe35 View Post
I did some online reading about OEM (not foreign) injectors when looking to replace mine with new or re-manufactured. I found that the lifespan for an injector is around 1 trillion cycles, and that they do not mechanically wear out. Typically an injector will fail because of an electrical open, electrical short, or foreign material clogged or gummed up.

My van had also sat for 5 years before i bought it. Most likely why my fuel filter was bad.

I chose to give the OEM flow matched e-bay kits a try. I have about 5k miles on them and have not had an injector issue, or hard starts.

X2 on checking the plug color.
Good thoughts and research. I did a little more searching regarding symptoms and the "hard starting when hot" is at the top of the list for leaky injectors on multiple sites. I found what appears to be a good source for domestic injector remanufacturing and will probably replace them all with a flow matched set. They quoted a price of $135 with Ford cores. Plugs are hard enough to get to so I don't need to know which cylinder. This should match a noticeable difference on my poor mpg as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.