Fog light ON/OFF LED works backward - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Reload this Page >

Fog light ON/OFF LED works backward

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Old 06-14-2018, 06:17 PM
1998Ranger25L153CID
Elder User
1998Ranger25L153CID is starting off with a positive reputation.

Using a custom harness to add factory fog lights on my 98 Ranger 2.5. It's all been working well but I need to find out why the ON/OFF LED never worked. It all works perfect just like it should except for that and I want to fix it if possible because I find myself leaving the fog lights on all the time because I don't know they're on during the day. I was messing around with it today splicing in a wire that goes to the fuse in the engine compartment which then runs down to the lights, then I ran back in the cab to the switch to the relay wire on the factory switch. But it actually lights up the LED when the lights are OFF and does not light up when the lights are ON. I then took that splice out and tried it on the 12V/Key power but of course the LED stayed on anytime the Key is on. The harness seems to mock the factory harness pretty close. So what does it mean when the LED works backwards ON when lights are off and OFF when lights are ON?

Old 06-14-2018, 07:10 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
An LED is a diode which means it only passes current in one direction, so it is possible the LED in your switch is simply installed backwords.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:17 PM
1998Ranger25L153CID
Elder User
1998Ranger25L153CID is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm using a factory Ford Ranger fog light switch. I also had a spare Ford Ranger fog light switch that I double checked too because I thought one might be bad. I looked back through the supplied custom fog light harness instruction sheet from the other Ranger forum member who made the kit and the only thing I can see that I may have done different is where they say about splicing the fog light switch connector into the dash illumination light "If your vehicle does not have a 4x4 switch in the radio bezel, you may tap into the red/black stripe wire at the headlight switch wiring harness or at the HVAC panel switch wiring connector. Extra wire may need to be added to reach the headlight." Instead of splicing into the headlight switch or HVAC switch I spliced my fog light switches illumination wire into the factory radio plug's orange wire because I knew it was for illumination. Would there be a difference in the way the fog light switch lights up using the radio illumination wire as to where it was tapped into rather than the red/black wire at the headlight or hvac harness? I'm not sure. I can read the factory wiring diagrams ok but sometimes I get lost as to how it all works when certain switches are turned on. That instruction is even the last step in hooking up the harness, then it goes on to say to plug in the switch, press the fog light button and the dash indicator on of the switch should be lit as well as the light bulb icon on the switch.