6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Just how common are blown headgaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 08:17 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Oh, I think this be my last 6.0.

Yes, the brake division. But it’s not that big of a company and when I was at the engineering center I could see how they handled themselves, and I got earfulls of 6.0 opinion. It’s was kind of interesting because the next month I might be in MI at Ford. The latter years it was like knowing a divorcing couple and you couldn’t say anything to either.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:20 PM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
I looked at my customer records and found many 6.0L engines going well past 200K miles on the original TTY head bolts and head gaskets. I have one that is past 200K and only being pulled because its deltas are on the ragged edge (all EGR and oil cooler related I might add) and it needs a bed seal refresh (common in these vehicles).

The stud shillls (A1 Technologies (now out of business) and ARP) are pushing product only because knuckle heads add silly tunes to these trucks -- studs are over-rated and if you drive it normally you should be fine on the original head gaskets and TTY bolts provided you resolve the EGR issue and keep on top of oil cooler and coolant maintenance.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
At 200k miles and no’s studs, towing a 10k 5th wheel I would say it’s possible to not have head gasket problems for a long time (truck in my signature). If I remember right, more than one member here has went past 300k miles without pulling the heads. Generally speaking, EGR coolers (and the inexpensive deletes) are one of the most common problems, followed by oil coolers. Those issues are related to poor upkeep of the coolant system. Alternator issues which can be fixed in a number of ways, Fuel Injection Control Modules (FICM) problems, and failing radiators seem to pop up regularly along with leaks in the exhaust before the turbo. Considering the last model of F series 6.0’s was 2007 (11 years old now) they’re not doing too bad really. All vehicles have their weak spots including these trucks but considering the price and power I think they are a bargain now. The trick is to find one that was well maintained, and oddly enough did some work. Lifted and tuned, shiny paint and cool wheels isn’t necessarily what your looking for. Do some research or take along a buddy who really knows when you shop. Production numbers were pretty good so there are still many 6.0 trucks with some good life left in them out there. And many more that need a lot of work. The trick is finding the good one.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:33 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Or a really nice one whose owner didn’t get the memo, blew the engine and doesn’t want to invest. Then you can build the motor you want in an inexpensive chassis. But you have to be able to do the work.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
You would think it was dialed in, but I have worked under several "six sigma" production programs. It still comes down to keeping everything properly maintained and calibrated and setting proper specs in the first place. You also have to have the right measurement points and measurement frequencies. Then you have to calibrate the measurement devices at the proper intervals and according to proper guidelines. I have seen terrible quality in six sigma programs because of loose specs and tight budgets. Not an easy thing nor a slam dunk.

That said, I really am curious how such a wide range of results from the factory can be explained except for variability - some like FiznUKa, and some that were the basis for such a bad reputation. I know the design changed some between 03 and 07, maybe more than we will ever know, but there are plenty of 2003 model year engines that performed well and lasted lots of miles. Plenty of good Techs that took pride in installing head gaskets and head BOLTS saying that they would fail again.

OP - you really need a fuel pressure gauge also! Injector failure is not cheap.
Six sigma...now it all makes sense😆