2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Non-servicing dealerships

Old 06-13-2018, 10:57 PM
jakematic
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Non-servicing dealerships

I've seen that many of y'all get phenomenal deals flying/driving to buy your SD, and that makes me wonder about something.
Have seen some say they have days of waiting for service. Which could be large city/busy dealers.

But it has made me think of the Ford dealership I literally grew up in where my stepdad was GM, and our owned Honda powersports dealership where I also sold and was a certified mechanic.
Back then, if you didn't buy from us you would get service when we got to it... generally after our buying customers did.

Non-buying warranty work always went (still goes) to the wayyyyy bottom of the pile. And we all know actual repair work is more profitable than warranty work.

Personally I deal with a very local dealership with whom I have relationships with everyone from the GM, SM, F&I man, etc.
They get me in an out in short order, unless it is a big deal. In which case they normally take care of me and get the repair done ASAP.

Yes... we all know Ford shops are generally obligated to do the work, but dealers have quite a bit of latitude.
Am curious to know how this works out for those of you who buy other places and then have work done "locally".

Old 06-14-2018, 05:32 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
It's been my experience in my area where there are 8 Ford dealers within 75 miles of each other that one main way to entice business is through their service departments. If a dealer is willing to sacrifice this money then they are a dealer that I want nothing to do with.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:35 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
I get much better service at my NON selling dealership. Where I bought my truck was very high volume but poor service. After many poor service visits, I started using another nearby dealer and have gotten phenomenal service. They were more than happy to pick me up as a customer.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:07 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I buy my Fords from a dealership I will never use for service. Mainly because of their service manager. The manager sets the tone for the department and this guy is an idiot. Most of their techs have the same “I could care less attitude”.

The dealer I use for service, I would never buy a vehicle from because they want to wear you down and waste your time to make a few extra dollars. But their service department is great.

As preveiously stated, if a dealer puts my non-purchased vehicle to the bottom of their service appts and makes me wait, I will never use them for anything.

Besides, it’s the service department that makes the real money in the dealership, not the sales department. Any dealer that does not realize this is not worth letting them touch my vehicles.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:20 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I fly out to MI for all my vehicles and drive them home over a 2 day period. I will never buy from my servicing dealer because of being lied straight to my face from the Sales Manager.

But I have been having my vehicles serviced there for 9 years and they take care of me on that end. Typically takes 3 days to get in.

And not all dealers get a lower warranty rate.. my dealer makes the same rate whether warranty or non warranty.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:24 AM
Johns01
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my father used to buy at one dealer and get service at another
after useing that same service dealer myself a few times I found them questionable too many times
I then started going to a "former" ford dealership that is now a storage lot and "extra" service department for a local ford dealer that owns many dealerships for all makes
best ford service I've found yet is this one dealer that has taken down all the ford signs except the service dept one

they no longer even sell cars at that dealership
and usually it's not very busy - never had an issue with them taking to long to get to work on my truck
- is also my parts source - they still have their parts dept though I suspect it's part of the overflow storage deal like the new trucks lined up out on the lot

toronto area , scarborough , sheppard ave e and conllins rd - for locals to me reading

Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 AM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,506 Likes on 827 Posts
I bought both of my SD's from out-of-town dealerships and have had them serviced at a local dealer. I don't turn wrenches and don't know jack s*&% about these things mechanically. Don't want to or need to. You know the old saying: "Can't teach an old dog new tricks." Applies in spades here. I am looking for convenience and good service and so far they have met that criteria.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:42 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,614 Likes on 2,725 Posts
I used to write software for car dealerships. For the dealerships I worked with directly, the sales and service areas were like two different businesses that just happened to share a building.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:44 AM
wntrwhte
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought mine at one dealership about an hourish away. My local dealership is not getting the service business, I drive about 45 minutes for service in the completely opposite direction after the local shop screwed me on a Ford Focus with a bad transmission in 2013/2014. If I have occasion to be in the area of the selling dealership I will pop in for an oil change. It's the same distance as the dealer I do use, but it is in a location that I almost never need to be near, so it isn't efficient.

And on my way down south for the winter, I drop it at Ourisman for a going over.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:21 PM
Carnac22
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I happen to use the service at the same place I purchased my 2017 F250. However in the past I've purchased and had service at different dealers. I doubt that the service center even knows whether or not I purchased the vehicle there (I remove the dealer's license plate frame and never let them put a decal on). Same with my Z06 Corvette - purchased one place and serviced at another. Either the service is good or not. I've also never had a problem with like-new vehicles that I purchased used or when I've moved (I'm retired Air Force and moved a lot) and using the same service as where purchased isn't possible.

My dad lives in a rural area and like to use the local dealer for purchase and service - he thinks if makes a difference - I'm not sure that is does.

Jim

Old 10-18-2020, 09:47 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Yes, and no. Have bought one for the more "exotic" vehicles I've owned, mainly to protect against I can't fix myself. I've not gotten one for less fancy work vehicles. That said, I'll add two things: 1. I've never bought an ESP at the purchasing dealer, always bought online for about half what the purchasing dealer wanted, and 2. I've never had to use an ESP.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:06 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Why do you think warranty work is less profitable than nonwarranty work?

Old 10-18-2020, 02:07 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I used to write software for car dealerships. For the dealerships I worked with directly, the sales and service areas were like two different businesses that just happened to share a building.
My experience as well. Repair shop has no idea who sold the truck and don’t care.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:05 PM
shawnee1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyE
Why do you think warranty work is less profitable than nonwarranty work?
A few things come to my mind that may or may not be valid;
1. Ford limits the hourly labor rate to something less than what the dealer charges to the public.
2. Ford specifies the allowable labor time which may be less than what the dealer would charge otherwise.
3. The dealer makes no profit on any replacement parts.
4. The dealer does not get reimbursed for the time spent processing the claim.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:22 PM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by shawnee1
A few things come to my mind that may or may not be valid;
1. Ford limits the hourly labor rate to something less than what the dealer charges to the public.
2. Ford specifies the allowable labor time which may be less than what the dealer would charge otherwise.
3. The dealer makes no profit on any replacement parts.
4. The dealer does not get reimbursed for the time spent processing the claim.
That’s interesting. Does the same apply to ESP?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Non-servicing dealerships