2018 xlt premium vs lariat value package - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

2018 xlt premium vs lariat value package

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 06-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Kck3
Freshman User
Kck3 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Local dealer has two 18s on their lot- a xlt premium package and lariat value package that I am trying
to decide between. Price difference is basically $6k. If I go with the xlt premium package truck I would not be getting: leather steering wheel, leather seats, cooled seats, power passenger seat, BLIS, and LED box lighting that the lariat value has.

In other posts I have seen where going with the xlt premium isn't that smart of a decision when trading or selling a few years down the road.

I would add leather seats and leather wheel to the xlt for sure so there is $1700 installed. So now we are at $4300 difference in the two.

Xlt premium seems like the smart move.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:16 PM
7591250sd
Senior User
7591250sd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Special ordered my 2018 F250 CCSB 4x4 XLT premium, it's a truck to me, not some shrine. My basic needs were sync3, the power folding mirrors, camper package, 4.30 ratio, AT tires, running boards, a few camera's. Could not be happier. The thought of a truck payment more than many pay for house payment just didn't sit right.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:31 PM
DC Snider
New User
DC Snider is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've owned 3 Lariats since 1985, all of them ordered new. In February I ordered my fourth truck of the last 33 years, and I ordered an XLT Premium. F350 DRW CC FX4 6.2 4x4 4.30. As long as I keep one I could care less about trade-in or resale value. I take care of them and use them as they're intended. I personally felt like the XLT was the way to go all things considered, I ordered what I wanted, got what I needed including BLIS, towing cameras and splurged for the moonroof. In the end I have everything except leather seating surfaces and saved about 6k. My dog doesn't care for the leather anyway LOL. Your mileage results may vary.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 PM
dkllw1
Freshman User
dkllw1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i was in the same position you are in. 2017 XLT prem. VS 2017 Lariat base. after checking with a friend that is one of the Manager at Ram Dealership he looked up market value and told me it was better long term investment in the Lariat. This is kinda weird the XLT had more feature then the Lariat. the different in price was about $1400

Old 06-13-2018, 10:09 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.mhoefer has a great reputation on FTE.
Don’t think you can really go wrong, first new SD was a XLT, second two Lariat, amd now Lariat Ultimate. Hooped this is not my last. Maybe I’ll go KR or Limited for the last one. The 8000 difference this time was just not gonna happen.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:15 PM
Kck3
Freshman User
Kck3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the comments guys. I was trying to find a 17 lariat leftover for pricing closer to the xlt price point- but seems like there are no 17s left near me where the dealer is wanting to move them. I came across this xlt premium and it is tempting me.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:35 AM
3rdfordtruck
Freshman User
3rdfordtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tough Choice

i had this same decision last summer. I ordered my XLT Premium truck after test driving 2 Lariats. I loved the leather and dual climate care controls but couldn’t justify the extra costs.

I ended up ordering a XLT premium as I did not want the glass roof here in northern BC. Just too many rocks through the winter months and gravel roads in the summer.

My must haves list included heated seats which meant a I needed a premium.

I absolutely love this truck and am glad I ordered it the way I did. I keep my trucks for 10 plus year so resale is not really a factor.

Only regret so far after 8 months is I never ordered box lighting. That will be a summer project.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:11 AM
amorrow02
New User
amorrow02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought a 2018 XLT Premium, as I actually prefer the cloth. As already mentioned and I totally agree with, the dual climate control and LED box lighting are definitely the two biggest things I wish mine had. However, I love the cloth and look of the black/gray with chrome (as my old 2011 had), and adding a Raptor steering wheel and sill panels gave the truck the nice sport look I was after...with the chrome which I actually like.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:29 AM
wntrwhte
Junior User
wntrwhte is starting off with a positive reputation.
My XLT Premium has the box lighting. The only thing I don't have is dual climate and cooled seats (well, and leather, obviously).

You can do leather for less than $1000 and a Lariat steering wheel is $179, so, it's your decision if you want to pay another $4k more for a truck and maybe get some of that back on resale, or just not have it.

My personal opinion? The XLT Premium will be the truck that is more in demand used, because it comes with all the stuff at a better price point. There is always one trim level that is the "sweet spot" of value and features, and for this truck the XLT w/Premium is that sweet spot.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:37 AM
1olddogtwo
Senior User
1olddogtwo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I traded in my 17 Platinum ultimate package, special ordered a 18 XLT premium package..... Couldn't be happier

The only thing I actually miss our though LED Factory headlights

Old 06-14-2018, 10:41 AM
wntrwhte
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1olddogtwo View Post
The only thing I actually miss our though LED Factory headlights
This is such an expensive option I'm not sure I would have gotten it even if I did get a Lariat. Ouch on the price tag.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:48 AM
1olddogtwo
Senior User
1olddogtwo is starting off with a positive reputation.
That truck was my 15th super duty since 99, I just couldn't get comfortable in it. I did not care for the seats. It was a 83K. Paid 69, trade in 63 with 23K on it.

Ordered the XLT premium, sticker was 65. Paid 53 with no tax.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:50 AM
wntrwhte
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1olddogtwo View Post
That truck was my 15th super duty since 99, I just couldn't get comfortable in it. I did not care for the seats. It was a 83K. Paid 69, trade in 63 with 23K on it.

Ordered the XLT premium, sticker was 65. Paid 53 with no tax.
Crossing my fingers my XLT will be that good in a year or so in case I want to trade up

Old 06-14-2018, 10:56 AM
Sterling_47ag
Senior User
Sterling_47ag is starting off with a positive reputation.
1st super duty here out of a long line of f150's. Last F150 was a 16 platinum max tow ecoboost and sadly the payload was ridiculously low. Had a accident wasn't at fault so I parted ways and went with a 17 XLT Premium 6.7. I thought I might miss some of the tech options but honestly haven't. I have enjoyed doing a few mods and making it the way I want. I would say as far as package goes my only gripe would be the steering wheel which others have stated can be swapped out and I intend to do this very soon. I am debating hard to do the Katzkin seats or stick with the cloth.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:05 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
There are a few other interior differences not being noted here between a Lariat Value and an XLT Premium. Biggest one for me is the XLT does not have an auto-dimming rearview mirror. Adding the factory mirror is quite expensive because you need a harness in addition to the mirror. You can add a Gen-Tek auto dim mirror with more features for a couple hundred bucks or so and wire it in, but it doesn't look factory.

Also note the Lariat has black door panels instead of the boring gray; it has chrome trim rings around the speakers; it has the Sony stereo with 10 speakers (even though it still is terrible), it has (fake) wood trim inserts, it has padded vinyl upper door panels instead of hard plastic, and it has padded vinyl on the dash top instead of hard plastic. It also has shiny silver vents instead of dull basalt / black, and the rings around the four climate and radio ***** illuminate whereas they do not in the XLT.

That said, I went from a Lariat Ultimate with nearly every possible option including LED lights to my current XLT Premium truck. I'm very satisfied. I installed the Katzkin leather seats myself which emulate the factory leather, but are better quality....$558. I added the chrome trim rings which look nice but always want to fall off. Eventually I'll add the auto-dimming mirror.

BUT...I don't think you can look at historical book values just yet. The previous generation of XLT vs Lariat was a big jump...a 2016 XLT could not have a moonroof, heated seats, backup cam, or navigation. The 2017+ models all offer that and more. So I think many are choosing XLT trucks...of which, the XLT Premium is particularly appealing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.