Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How come my truck didn't start? 1992 F250 351 5 Spd Manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 AM
trailhead2004
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How come my truck didn't start? 1992 F250 351 5 Spd Manual

I drove in to work yesterday with no indication that there was any problem brewing for me later that afternoon. When I came out from work at the end of the day, stuck my key in the ignition switch, turned it, and nothing. Less that nothing, absolutely nothing.

I had no instruments, no lights, no radio. Nothing.

I stared doing the regular poking around. Battery checked to 12.5 volts, not bad, terminals were secure and definitely not overly dirty. Checked the fusible link, it was good. Looked at the applicable fuses - ignition switch, EEC, etc - all good. Turned the key several times and no dice... Or instruments, lights, radio, etc.

So I gave up and called AAA figuring that my best bet at finding the problem was back at home with my tools.
Without really thinking about it I was sitting, waiting for the tow truck to pull up with the key in the ignition and turned on, headlights on, and the door open. Next thing I know, the alert starts singing that the headlights were on, the radio turned on, and I had instruments, it was ready to start. I turned the key, et voilá! The truck starts so I split.

When I got home I immediately had other things I had to do so couldn't dig in immediately. But when I got around to it, I cleaned the battery terminals and poked around a bit and nothing looked out of place.

So the question here... Have any of you and a problem like this, where everything was absolutely dead with no outward indication as to the problem? I have a hard time thinking the problem was dirty battery terminals as I had just done some electrical work recently and cleaned the terminals before reconnecting them.

I know there isn't a lot to go on here, but you have everything I have. I just don't like not knowing what the issue is.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:23 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely a power issue. How's the ground wire? Check down on the block mounting area. Could be corroded inside the cable? Looks good but bad connection at either end.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:54 PM
trailhead2004
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Freightrain
Definitely a power issue. How's the ground wire? Check down on the block mounting area. Could be corroded inside the cable? Looks good but bad connection at either end.
Definitely going to check out the ground cable anyway, but I'm skeptical that is the (only) problem. I'd be surprised that everything on the entire chassis would die because of a bad ground at the motor. Anyone else have any experience with something like this happening?

But thank you for the suggestion, Freightrain!

Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That is the main ground, with other smaller ones going from the engine block to chassis/body. That one bad connection will make it loose power to everything, especially if it is the battery end that is corroded under the insulation(and you just had it off and cleaned it...wiggled it around and maybe broke it loose inside). There are a few 12v sources off the solenoid, so you have chance to have power to at least one or two things if the ground is good. Nothing if the ground is bad.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:32 PM
trailhead2004
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Freightrain
That is the main ground, with other smaller ones going from the engine block to chassis/body. That one bad connection will make it loose power to everything, especially if it is the battery end that is corroded under the insulation(and you just had it off and cleaned it...wiggled it around and maybe broke it loose inside). There are a few 12v sources off the solenoid, so you have chance to have power to at least one or two things if the ground is good. Nothing if the ground is bad.
Makes me think I need to check it out then.

Thanks again!

Old 06-13-2018, 08:44 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by trailhead2004
I'd be surprised that everything on the entire chassis would die because of a bad ground at the motor.
If anything is loose it sure will. It can also send big voltage spikes through as the alternator becomes loaded and then unloaded if cruising. Make sure every connection is tight, and no missing or disconnected ground straps. This should be an easy fix really, because everything was affected. So it has to be a major connection somewhere that is intermittent or missing. You're not using those bolt-on replacement battery cable terminals by chance are you?

Also did you let AAA know that the truck started before you split, or is some poor ******* out there still looking for you?