tired old Seven Three runs into heatwave... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

tired old Seven Three runs into heatwave...

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 06-11-2018, 10:39 PM
jackstraw
Senior User
jackstraw is starting off with a positive reputation.

while towing...

in the mountains

Several weeks back now, for the first time, I felt like my truck wasn't delivering the power I have been used to for many years now. I am at 488K on mine, all stock.

I was pulling just a 3,000# cargo trailer, though that can be a bit like towing a vertically mounted sheet of plywood. I was crossing the Appalachians on the WV Turnpike and the temps went up in to the 90s.

It felt like the torque converter was taking a little longer to kick in than I would expect perhaps.

Not sure anything is actually broken; I have driven those same hills with the same load several times. But I don't normally run around in high temps as I work around the Lake Superior country most of the summer. Later that day, down on flats and with temps back down into the low 80s, the truck pulled the same load like it wasn't even there, as usual.

But I am wondering which components kind of show their age on a hot day?

Old 06-12-2018, 07:13 AM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
I suppose it's always possible it's just the intercooler not cooling the intake air as much, so less air in less power out. Have you looked at the cooling fins on it, for bent fins, dirt, debris, etc? After 488k miles has it collected some oil inside from the doghouse vent? Any issues with the torque converter / trans would be reflected in the trans fluid temps. Just some ideas....

Old 06-12-2018, 12:26 PM
carltonwebb
Posting Guru
carltonwebb has a great reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a great reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a great reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a great reputation on FTE.carltonwebb has a great reputation on FTE.
Could it have been the fan clutch was engaged? You would have heard it but it will rob a lot of power when it locks in.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:46 PM
jackstraw
Senior User
jackstraw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good ideas there, thanks, I will investigate. Truck has generally been running like a top since then; might have to wait till later in the summer, esp. to figure out interaction with fan clutch. Back in da U.P. eh for now, temps in 70s and mostly slow backroads to drive for a while.

Also made me wonder - is there an intake air temp sensor in the 7.3 system somewhere? Or is that just something in gas fuel injection systems?

Old 06-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
It has one it's in the air filter box and looks like and might be the same sensor as is in the spider.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 AM
HKusp
Post Fiend
HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
Something definitely is going on. 3,000lbs and 90 degree temps should be absolutely nothing to these trucks. I have pulled a lot more than that through elevated passes and in the heat. Not with 488K on the clock and certainly not stock, but still. That truck should be able to do that all day long.