1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Please Review Torque Pro Log Files: Injector Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 01:22 PM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Please Review Torque Pro Log Files: Injector Issues?

Please take a look at my log files and see if the numbers look good, or out of whack.

I am trying to understand if the reman P.I.S injectors are performing like they should. This is with running a 80HP PHP Hydra tune. My chief concern is fuel mileage. I was getting 19 MPG highway hand calculated before the injector adventure, and now I am best getting 14.5 MPG. Towing is worse, was getting 12MPG towing my 8,500 pound camper, now I am getting about 7MPG.
  • 169,000 miles
  • Adrenaline HPOP
  • GT38R
  • 6637 Air Filter
  • RiffRaff FRx
  • 4" MBRP Exhaust
  • International Bellowed Stainless Up-pipe Kit
  • Riffraff Diesel Hutch In-Tank Fuel Mod Kit

Attached Files
Old 02-01-2018, 01:43 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
A few things trying to make sense of it.

When I opened the file the data was not sorted by time in order.

FIPW is long I see 3.5 to 4.5 ms when accelerating with 18-21 psi boost

I converted meters per second to get mph to try and make sense of it.

What are these injectors? Any chance you are trying to run a single shot injector with the standard split shot tuning?

Attached Files
Old 02-01-2018, 01:58 PM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Thanks for the reply. The injectors are stock re-built injectors by P.I.S. The tuning I am running is for OEM stock injectors from PHP's stock tune library, no single shot tuning. I saved the file sorted by highest boost, since that is where most of the interesting data intersects. If it makes more sense to you, I could attach the file without doing any sorting.

I am not schooled on what all the data points mean. What are the implications of long fuel injection pulse width?

Old 02-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
So was this log while towing? Low boost while maintaining 75 a few times if you were, other times long stretches the ipr duty cycle stayed at 9%

Old 02-01-2018, 03:41 PM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
So was this log while towing? Low boost while maintaining 75 a few times if you were, other times long stretches the ipr duty cycle stayed at 9%
No towing. A few times I coasted as the traffic on the highway came to a major slow down.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:00 PM
PQH350
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exbxtoy
Thanks for the reply. The injectors are stock re-built injectors by P.I.S. The tuning I am running is for OEM stock injectors from PHP's stock tune library, no single shot tuning. I saved the file sorted by highest boost, since that is where most of the interesting data intersects. If it makes more sense to you, I could attach the file without doing any sorting.

I am not schooled on what all the data points mean. What are the implications of long fuel injection pulse width?
long fipw leads to low ICP & less atomization. that leads to HIGH egt's which will cook your motor bc the its a long hot fire instead of a flash. thats a very basic desvription.

there is a link someone may give you. Bill (PHP) talks about the how & why. ive seen his tunes w long fipw & dont get why he writes then that way since he knows what happens.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:04 PM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Originally Posted by PQH350
long fipw leads to low ICP & less atomization. that leads to HIGH egt's which will cook your motor bc the its a long hot fire instead of a flash. thats a very basic desvription.

there is a link someone may give you. Bill (PHP) talks about the how & why. ive seen his tunes w long fipw & dont get why he writes then that way since he knows what happens.
That makes sense, but what I’m trying to differentiate between, is this an injector problem, or is this something else?

Old 02-01-2018, 06:01 PM
Chevota_72
Senior User
We're you running this same tune when you were getting better fuel mileage? As stated earlier the FIPW seems high.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 PM
PQH350
Junior User

That makes sense, but what I’m trying to differentiate between, is this an injector problem, or is this something else?
to help you w that we need more data. I tried to read data you gave & cant help you much. Maybe Tugly or Cleatus12r or Pocket can read it 1 of the others ExPaCamp can make a graph w what you gave.

I know Bill (PHP) a little. I have ran his tunes. dont wanna talk bad about him or his company but i had Hi egts and smoke and hi fipw when I ran them. like i said before I can not read your data and in a way that is in time so that it lines up right. so i can not tell you. PIS makes great injectors. I have not heard of any probs w then except there was some o-ring issues a while back. never heard of them sending out one w mech probs.

bottom line right now---i suspect tuning w o more info.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:32 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Originally Posted by PQH350
to help you w that we need more data. I tried to read data you gave & cant help you much. Maybe Tugly or Cleatus12r or Pocket can read it 1 of the others ExPaCamp can make a graph w what you gave.

I know Bill (PHP) a little. I have ran his tunes. dont wanna talk bad about him or his company but i had Hi egts and smoke and hi fipw when I ran them. like i said before I can not read your data and in a way that is in time so that it lines up right. so i can not tell you. PIS makes great injectors. I have not heard of any probs w then except there was some o-ring issues a while back. never heard of them sending out one w mech probs.

bottom line right now---i suspect tuning w o more info.
I agree, being able to visualize the data would make the most sense to me as well. This is my first go at trying to figure out how to do data logging with TorquePro.

What other data would you like to see, or is it more of a request to be able to see the data graphed?

When I was getting the better fuel mileage prior to my Injector adventure, I was not running any tunes.

A question for you guys who have Hydra experience, should I remove the Hydra from the ECU completely, and retest? Or just switch the Hydra to 00 essentially putting it back to stock tuning?

Old 02-02-2018, 10:53 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
PM me your email address and I'll send you mine. I tried to PM this to you with my email address, but your inbox is full

If you can email me your log file, I'll graph it and post it in your thread when I get back later today.

How handy are you with Excel? I can also send you the spreadsheet program if you like?

Old 02-02-2018, 04:04 PM
PQH350
Junior User
A question for you guys who have Hydra experience, should I remove the Hydra from the ECU completely, and retest? Or just switch the Hydra to 00 essentially putting it back to stock tuning?
yes put it back to stock then look at your duty cycle on IPR compared to ICP &
we need rpm, fipw, mph, boost, baro, ebp too. eot is good to include too.

If ICP stays north of 2600-2800 and fipw is south of or close to 3.0 ms in stock then it is probably the tune most times.

then give us a run in your tunes to see what is what & use the Excel that ExPaCa sent you & take a pic and post so more of us can see what is going on. Can you do it with teh stock run to for comparisson?

Old 02-02-2018, 10:19 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Okay, I worked on your data a bit. I used your GPS speed for MPH. A couple missing parameters and some tweaks in how you log, but here's what I was able to get out of it so far.

50 data points FIPW Scales x.01
Note: Low speed, up to 45mph

Some of the data set:

Old 02-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Is that a WOT run? The tuning and HPOP look good, but your air is atrocious. You have some serious air or exhaust leaks somewhere.

For starters, do the KOEO test with BARO, EBP, and MAP - to find out how accurate your sensors are. I would also look for soot anywhere under the hood - soot doesn't belong there in any form.

If those tests all pass, then I'd like to see EBP and MAP (not boost) included in the next run.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:41 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tugly
Is that a WOT run? The tuning and HPOP look good, but your air is atrocious. You have some serious air or exhaust leaks somewhere.

For starters, do the KOEO test with BARO, EBP, and MAP - to find out how accurate your sensors are. I would also look for soot anywhere under the hood - soot doesn't belong there in any form.

If those tests all pass, then I'd like to see EBP and MAP (not boost) included in the next run.
i’ll have to do some major looking for air leaks, a few years ago I replace the up pipes with the international Harvester variety. But not to say I don’t have any loose intercooler boots. Any place you would recommend looking? This was not wide-open throttle this is only a small part of the entire run, it looks like just when I started getting moving really. Should I completely remove and unhook the hydra chip, or is it good enough just to put it in 00 mode?

Quick Reply: Please Review Torque Pro Log Files: Injector Issues?