Tip in (in gear or idle ) engine stalls - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Tip in (in gear or idle ) engine stalls

Old 06-11-2018, 08:55 PM
90paul250
Junior User
90paul250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tip in (in gear or idle ) engine stalls

So, just finished with my header, intake, cam install. Truck runs idles drives amazing. Broke in the cam per instructions. So, when the truck is idling, in or out of gear, I tip in and it tries to stall, I let off and it recovers or I lay a little more down on the pedal and it recovers. Next, coming out of gear, from any gear, I put in the clutch, take it out of gear and the idle drops to almost 500 and it really cams, lumps. Then about when I come to a stop it recovers and idles fine. Does anyone have any ideas? I have to mention, like I said, new intake, new cam, new TB, new TPS, new IAC. So this is a complicated one but other than the tip in or coast down, truck runs great. Just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-11-2018, 10:27 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
Did you eliminate or modify part of the vacuum system when doing these upgrades?

Old 06-11-2018, 10:32 PM
90paul250
Junior User
yes indeed. Any part you may be referring to?

Old 06-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
The vacuum canister in particular. What did you remove?

Old 06-12-2018, 08:38 AM
90paul250
Junior User
I yanked these pics from a different thread. I took out the vacuum reservoir shown in the pic. From the other pic, the vacuum diagram I can see that it gets a vacuum line from the T on the manifold and then it goes out to the TAB/TAD and also the EVR. Since I don't have an EGR valve anymore and the TAB/ TAD I just have connected electrically no lines going to them I didn't see what purpose the reservoir was doing so I yanked it.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
So you nothing but the MAP and FPR connected directly to the manifold now? All other vacuum ports on the manifold are plugged? What did you do with the vapor canister lines?

Old 06-12-2018, 10:02 AM
90paul250
Junior User

Originally Posted by Conanski View Post
So you nothing but the MAP and FPR connected directly to the manifold now? All other vacuum ports on the manifold are plugged? What did you do with the vapor canister lines?

So right now the FPR, MAP, brake booster and then one that goes off toward the drivers side, maybe it has something to do with the cruise? That is all that is coming off the tree on the manifold. The hard plastic harness that had all the lines that went from the vacuum reservoir in the pic above I just disconnected it because it went from that reservoir to the EVR/TAB/TAD and that was all.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:11 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Did you disconnect the vacuum sources for that harness too?
Cruise control and the dash vent control also use vacuum but may have another vacuum resovoir somewhere, if it doesn't you may have to reestablish part of that system.
And what about the charcoal canister is that still connected? There is no good reason to disconnect this but if you do the attachment points on the TB must be plugged otherwise you have an uncontrolled vacuum leak.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:27 AM
90paul250
Junior User
Hello, yes disconnected and capped the source for the harness. Charcoal canister is still connected, with valve and connects to both sides of the throttle body. No reason to remove that like you mentioned. The hvac is getting its source from the T. Cruise I will have to check but Iím pretty sure itís the other one.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Right below the MAP sensor there is a check valve T that I think feeds the HVAC, where do those 2 lines go? I thought one of those was supposed to go the the vacuum resovoir but I'm not sure.

Oh something else, did you reconnect the PCV?

Old 06-12-2018, 11:53 AM
90paul250
Junior User
Right below the MAP sensor there is a check valve T that I think feeds the HVAC, where do those 2 lines go? I thought one of those was supposed to go the the vacuum resovoir but I'm not sure.

Oh something else, did you reconnect the PCV?
Yes on the PCV, replaced it too. Sooo much easier to get to it with the edelbrock intake!

So if you look close in the pic, you are correct, the check valve is fed from the T on the intake and then it splits, one end to the HVAC and the other one is disappearing behind the intake, I will have to check that when I get home from work.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
The HVAC lines will need a vacuum resovoir, without it your AC will automatically switch between dash and floor as vacuum falls when the engine is under load.

The engine stumble suggest a vacuum leak that is the reason for all the question.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:09 PM
90paul250
Junior User
The HVAC lines will need a vacuum resovoir, without it your AC will automatically switch between dash and floor as vacuum falls when the engine is under load.

The engine stumble suggest a vacuum leak that is the reason for all the question.
I am with you on the leak, gotta be something.

For reference, check out this picture from a different thread, this is where the one vac line goes to.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:19 PM
90paul250
Junior User
Okay now that I am looking at my picture of the engine bay on my truck, I know the one black line comes from the T on the intake, then it splits, one end goes to the above pic and the other end goes somewhere else on the passenger side toward the top corner.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Yeah looks like it goes over towards the blower motor but hard to say.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.