Bulletproofing my 6.4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Bulletproofing my 6.4

Old 06-11-2018, 05:59 PM
BigDaniel
Freshman User
BigDaniel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bulletproofing my 6.4

i have an 08 f250 6.4 and i had a guy give me a quote on doing it but its cheaper for me and my buddy to do it ourselves. While i have the cab off and everything exposed i was wondering about the best way to get more power from my turbos for the money. My buddy said theres a kit to basically add a 3rd turbo in the system with the other 2. Where could i find one of these kits and are they woth fooling with? And where can i find a bigger oil cooler?

Old 06-11-2018, 08:11 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Wayyyyy outta my league but will bump. I'm just trying to nurse this carnage along. Nothings wrong yet, but I will say, wrong platform to start with,

Denny

Old 06-11-2018, 09:25 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Just wanted to jump back in after my post after I thought more about it, if I may? And apologize.

I have the same unit and I am old diesel starting from the chev 6.2 and progressed to powerstrokes, after working on large ship engines for 23 years. I have a 7.3 with a quarter million on and work it with a whip. I have a pristine 08 with the 6.4 that is the bomb.

I do heavy service maintenance even tho I still drive the 99 and my spouse drives the 08 F350 (125 lbr that drives like a nunn 40 miles a week, and still puts groceries in the CC)...........I drive it very little, usually when she's wobbling.

I guess my point is that I want longevity out of the plant and what your looking for is a solid performer in terms of competition of sorts. Just not sure of High performance upgrades while looking at pulling out the wallet and toolbox/or the wrecker hook. I know the 6.4 is very capable, more-so than others will tend to dis your thought, however, some guys in here have more miles on their rigs without majors than most sites. And they are still relatively young.

Keep us posted and accept my apology!

Denny

Old 06-11-2018, 09:58 PM
BigDaniel
Freshman User
Its all good i wasn’t quite sure what you were saying I’m more or less trying to weigh my options because i want to get everything berfore i bulletproof it because i dont want to do a little at a time i want it all done in one go. I want longevity but i also want a little more power and if im looking at 2000 or better for a few more horses ill just keep it as is. I also want to put in a better oil cooler any ideas on where to get one?

Old 06-11-2018, 10:50 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
I thing bulletproof diesel sells complete nice kits. They are pricey but look like they would do a great job.

https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/6-...tems-s/181.htm

Old 06-12-2018, 10:30 AM
StrangeBrew69
Freshman User
StrangeBrew69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi, how much more power are you looking to get? You don't really need to do anything to your turbos to make more power unless ur shooting for over 1000 rwhp numbers.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:31 AM
StrangeBrew69
Freshman User
StrangeBrew69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
also i have the bulletproof oil cooler kit they are pricey but well worth the dollars spent.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:04 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
a) neither the "bulletproof" nor the "dealerproof" products address all the flaws of the 6.4. if you dont know the difference...you need to rewind and do more home work.

b) more power means more heat...the 6.4 can not handle heat very well and even a bone stock 6.4 will struggle with normal power especially if the water/oil heat exchange unit is dirty

c) take all the money you want to invest in all the "solutions" and trade the truck in and buy up into a more reliable platform such as the 6.7 if you are sticking with ford.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:55 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
Daniel, Fritz is on the leaderboard for advise in this 6.4 tourney (he is a peckerhead but his willingness to discharge his knowledge is endless and he has been through the wringer as far as tear downs and improvements to potentially get what your paying for at the tipped eyebrow of longevity.) He went all in on his truck and shared his stumbles as well as enlightened this whole crew on things even previous and veteran Diesel strokers had no knowledge of.

He seems to be the E.F. Hutton of the 6.4 . When he speaks, listen.

If your toying with the idea that your going to bump performance to the point that you'll be impressing others, make sure you know where and which hand you want to place your wallet.

On the other hand, if you want a mild performance increase/with expectations of saddling this up in two years, the best advise is in this forum.

Myself, I've done the deletes because I'm still in the free zone for emissions, Radiator and Bod mounts, and do have a DPF-R tuner which is really a code cheater, other than that..........This thing will drag my 7.3 down the road sideways with a plow on it and down.

Keep us posted on your purchases and installs. While this forum exists, it really is comparably small to other stroker forums. Not for the 6.4. But all builds. That says alot. They are great and very capable rigs until someone gets their eye shot out by tampering too much and not maintaining enough.

Personally, I blow my truck cash on filters, maintenance and fluids, and yes of course fuel.

Best of my knowledge, no-one ever aborted my truck and walked home because they weren't impressed with it. Bone stock.cept ^^^^

Save your money, get your teeth cleaned and a haircut. Trucks fine.

Denny

Old 06-12-2018, 09:45 PM
BigDaniel
Freshman User
I will keep updates on here as it gets done right now im working on getting a quote from a diesel performance shop to do the work i want but as far as stuff they’re pricing for me its head studs, upper end gaskets( obviously), a sct live wire with custom tunes, a air cooled oil cooler, and up pipes is all for right now

Old 06-13-2018, 11:39 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by BigDaniel View Post
I will keep updates on here as it gets done right now im working on getting a quote from a diesel performance shop to do the work i want but as far as stuff they’re pricing for me its head studs, upper end gaskets( obviously), a sct live wire with custom tunes, a air cooled oil cooler, and up pipes is all for right now
so one would think that you already have DPF and EGR deleted but..your list includes a new tuner..so whats up with that.

for the top end gaskets, if they shave the heads make sure they replace the push rods with new shorter ones. if they shave the heads and leave the stock ones in..due to the change on valve train geometry...you will fragment lifters and excessively wear cam lobes.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:37 PM
BigDaniel
Freshman User
Yes it does have egr and dpf deleted but i just got it and there was no tuner in it and it isn’t throwing any codes so i know it has a tune on ir and that info about the push rods is good to know ill verify that with them thank you

Old 06-15-2018, 11:26 AM
BigDaniel
Freshman User
The guy i was talking to about bulletproofing my truck said I should put in a relocation kit for my oil cooler itll be whats in there now( same style anyway) but in a different spot but i was wanting to eleminate that type of cooler and get an air cooled one. What would my best bet for longevity be?

Old 06-15-2018, 05:29 PM
BigDaniel
Freshman User
And i was also wondering where the best place to buy custom tunes are?

Old 06-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Not sure about longevity, but I know the kits I have seen plug into the stock location for the oil cooler but then have a small cooler that bolts to the side of the intercooler that is air cooled.

Tunes are a personal choice. There are quite a few solid tuner guys out there. Just have to do your research there. I have River City Diesel tunes ran through a SCT Livewire TS tuner and have been pleased.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bulletproofing my 6.4

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: