1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'54 F-100, Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:44 AM
nateo44
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JakRak, thanks so much for the detailed and informative reply. Abe, beautiful truck, exactly what I want...will you take $16k for it?? JakRak, I'm in more of a buy "solid" and spend money on cosmetic details guy at this point. I'd replace the wheels/tires with originals first thing, then the other things mentioned, chains, grill, trim rings, etc. Of course all that is spendy. Tedster9, totally with you on Abe's truck. Way nicer than the one I'm looking at. Bjmayberry2, yes I live in the Chicago suburbs, Homewood. Just added to my profile. The truck is actually in central wisconsin though. I'll tell dad to check for body work, thanks for the tip. He's going to drive it for me. I'm definitely an original guy and I'd much prefer an original color but seems like everything I see that's in original condition and solid is 20-30k so I was willing to deal with it until such time I could afford to repaint. Cosmetic things like seats etc I could change out myself, I'm just not a mechanic or bodywork guy unfortunately.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments. I don't think I'll be giving him 16k for it. We'll see what dad finds out when he looks at it closer and drives it. Will ask him to take a bunch more pics and I'll share them, but if everything checks out I think I'd offer him $12k for it and see what happens.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:52 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
I am familiar with Homewood. I spent 12 years in Lisle, Illinois, also a suburb of Chicago (West). The original seat fabrics are hard to find. Many people start wanting an original truck but decide it’s too hard to do and go for RestoMod. Dual master cylinder, disk brakes, power steering etc.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:15 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
The original seat fabrics are hard to find. Many people start wanting an original truck but decide it’s too hard to do and go for RestoMod.
I got my NOS 1954 seat fabric from SMS Auto Upholstery in Oregon. It was the last 54 NOS fabric he had but he is making reproduction fabrics. When I last talked to him, last winter, he said he should have it woven by this summer. Give him a call.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:18 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by nateo44
JakRak, thanks so much for the detailed and informative reply. Abe, beautiful truck, exactly what I want...will you take $16k for it??
Thanks again to everyone for your comments. I don't think I'll be giving him 16k for it. We'll see what dad finds out when he looks at it closer and drives it. Will ask him to take a bunch more pics and I'll share them, but if everything checks out I think I'd offer him $12k for it and see what happens.
Thanks for the offer. I just ran it by my wife and she said, "No way!"

$10-12 Thousand is more realistic for that truck. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2018, 02:19 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
I see you’re from Illinois (aka the rust belt). I’m not sure your truck is that far out of line for our area. When you consider “Parts Trucks” are fetching 2-6,000.
since the truck has been painted you really need to check the cab for body filler “Bondo”. Get a small magnet that barely holds on to metal, A cheap refrigerator magnet is good, and go around the bottom of the truck. Common rust collection is cab corners, rocker panels, door bottoms and hood nose.
Power train needs to be drive to know what it’s like. Don’t forget 1st gear won’t be scyncronized and unless they’ve changed the rear ended 50-55 will be topend speed.
If you’re not an original guy, the color, seats, etc are just preferences. If your cool with them, then hey it’s your truck, what ever floats your boat.

BTW add your city and state so everyone knows where you’re from.
If that 54 is still original with the standard 3.92 rear, he should be able to do 60mph as I do.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:44 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I must say I agree with all of the above comments....I am not opposed to a semi hot rod truck ( newer motor and trans...brakes....upgraded suspension)..... I have a 56 like that...but my fit and finish is top notch...I didn't go over board because I love the original look of the truck.......I also have 2 trucks that are pretty much stock...which I enjoy as well....equivalent to Abe's photos....don't rush into anything...there's plenty out there...... either way good luck...

Old 06-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

My 51 f-1...... flathead v-8

My 56 f-100........ retro rod

Old 06-12-2018, 04:42 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Nate,
Welcome Aboard! Hmmmm..... A quick look around in Wisconsin/Illinois - not much available
in your area. A lot of nice looking $25k - $30k Trucks. If you have time look around the U.S...
it costs around $800 to ship a truck. It's a lot easier/less expensive to get a really good truck up front.

For negotiating take everything you need to change & list it out
with a guess for cost & take it off the offer price. Example to unpaint
the bumper, chrome pieces, etc... To refinish & restain the wood bed ...
Reupholster the seat.... All that adds up to time & money. Show the seller the list
with costs & offer him what ever it works out to be .... Don't be afraid to show him
the number... It's a nice truck but it needs some work. He knows the paint job wasn't great & his bed
wood isn't done... velvet seat ...point out the negatives in a nice way.

You will "meet in the middle" so start low...

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 06-12-2018, 10:32 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
With your dad being the minister, shall we have a prayer group? " In Jesus name please allow $12,000 be enough money to get this guy in the blue ford truck" Amen.
"Oh and while we are praying... Please tell Dad to work his magic and help pay for it??" Amen!
Thank you Lord!

Old 06-12-2018, 10:32 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
I would want to make sure the sheet metal, especially the hood, fits better than this. Something just looks terribly wrong here. That hood is not even close. Perhaps it's just the reflection, but the grille looks crashed and wrinkly. Looking at these pictures, it gives me the feeling he decided he overpaid for the truck, it needs too much work, and he's trying to pawn it off onto some other unsuspecting sucker. I hope I'm wrong. All I'm saying is buyer beware, do your due diligence and investigate thoroughly. Good luck. There are lots of nice trucks out there. 16 seems like an awful lot for this one, to me.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:36 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
And pray for this young man because he does not know that these trucks cause a sickness...and we on this forum are enablers...lol...AMEN!!! Hope this helps!!

Old 06-13-2018, 12:59 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
No comment? Wow...tough crowd!
Guess I need to stick to the important stuff.
It's just the way I'm wired....
I hope you are able to get the truck!

Old 06-13-2018, 01:03 PM
nateo44
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abe: Drats, can't blame a guy for tryin'! Jafo: Thanks for the comments, and nice trucks! Ben73058: Thanks for your comments and ideas, I agree lots of things to do to make it more what I want, and all cost money! Jeff and Nicolle: Amen brother! Especially Dad paying for it! lol and I know all about the sickness. I've been thinking about buying one for about 25 years on and off. lol Lots of times I talk myself out of it for one reason or another, other times everything close to stock is way out of my price range. Either way here I sit still without one. 52merc: I agree in that pic the hood looks off, but in the 4th pic down it seems to line up better. Maybe it was open in the pic you referenced?

Again thanks so much to everyone for your comments and assistance. I won't be paying $16 for this truck. I think $12 would be the most I'd do and that's if it checks out mechanically and body wise.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:22 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by nateo44
52merc: I agree in that pic the hood looks off, but in the 4th pic down it seems to line up better. Maybe it was open in the pic you referenced?
Ok, here's your 4th pic. The hood does not line up any better, and in fact if you look closely, and compare the backgrounds in the two photos, it appears they were taken at the same time. You can see in the 4th pic the hood is still up and over in the back, and twisted across the front, the same in both pics. Again, all I'm saying is to be very careful about what you're getting when spending this kind of money for something sight unseen, even if someone you trust is looking at it for you.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:15 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Is this truck far away, that you aren't able to put your own eyes and hands on it?
I presumed it was close to you.

Quick Reply: '54 F-100, Good Deal?