F-250 Will tow a Toy Hauler, wont it...? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

F-250 Will tow a Toy Hauler, wont it...?

  #1  
Old 06-11-2018, 07:37 AM
Itsadrtyjob
Itsadrtyjob is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 8
Itsadrtyjob is starting off with a positive reputation.
F-250 Will tow a Toy Hauler, wont it...?

Hello all. I know there is tons of info on this forum but I wanted to start my own thread.

I have a 2016 Platinum Ford F250 with a 6.7 D 4x4 with 3.55 gears SWB Bed. Air lift 5k Bags. NO lift kit.

I tow a 38ft fifth wheel now with little to no issues. I want to buy a new toy hauler. (heavier) Whos is doing it? I dont want to hear anything about what ford says a vehicle can tow. Most of it is so under rated it ridiculous. I have towed a 40' gooseneck 8.5 deck over trailer with two 14k lb skid steers on it for years. I know the 6.7 has the power and stopping ability with the right set up. I guess what my real questions are is who else out there is towing heavier? I mean. My trailer is equipped properly (Brakes) Load is balanced.. My air bags level my truck and add support. My tuner tells my engine what to do. My tranny stays cool. What other problems are you guys experiencing. I see alot of guys who are scared to buy fifth wheels because of what the dealers and RV peeps are telling them. It just is upsetting. King pin weight, dry pin weight, GVWR, BLAH BLAH BLAH! (as you can tell i am frustraded from talking to many sales people at the RV show this weekend who told me I can tow a 20K Toy hauler. let me reiterate. I tow over 30k lbs for work all the time. Talk to me!

BTW I am looking at a CYCLONE 42 Fifth Wheel triple axle.

No I wont post my stickers! HAHA

Also, I will admit that I couldn't do it without the air lift suspension. Maybe they are the ones who need all the credit. HAHA
 
  #2  
Old 06-11-2018, 07:47 AM
speakerfritz's Avatar
speakerfritz
speakerfritz is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,834
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
is your truck an SRW or DRW

what size wheels do you have

do you tow costal or mountains
 
  #3  
Old 06-11-2018, 08:31 AM
Itsadrtyjob
Itsadrtyjob is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 8
Itsadrtyjob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
is your truck an SRW or DRW

what size wheels do you have

do you tow costal or mountains

Did they make a DRW in 250? Anyway, I am a SRW. Factory wheels. Tires are Michelin 275/65/R20

I am in Florida. So itís Flat. But Iíve towed in the Carolinas with my current 5th wheel. No issues.
 
  #4  
Old 06-11-2018, 09:51 AM
HRTKD's Avatar
HRTKD
HRTKD is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Somewhere south of Denver
Posts: 5,645
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Most F-250 trucks lack the cargo capacity to tow most fifth wheel trailers. If you had the 6.2L engine there would be adequate cargo capacity for a small to medium fifth wheel trailer. A toy hauler on that truck? No way you're within your cargo capacity.

The sales guy that said you could pull 20K is flat out wrong. When I was looking at 2016 Superduty trucks I was hard pressed to find one that was rated to tow more than 11K.
 
  #5  
Old 06-11-2018, 11:57 AM
xrated
xrated is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 343
xrated is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just because you tow overloaded, doesn't mean you can't continue to tow overloaded!

Seriously, are you looking for factual info, or for someone to tell you what you want to hear? Your present payload capacity on your truck (if it's a 4x4) is probably around 2000-2100 lbs. How much over payload capacity are you now?
 
  #6  
Old 06-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat's Avatar
Paw's 150 Lariat
Paw's 150 Lariat is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raceland, La.
Posts: 1,814
Paw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to behold
We had a 371 Fuzion that had a 3050 lb hitch weight and weighed 16K pounds grossed out. Towed it with son in laws F-250 but truck was way over on the payload weight. Before breaking an axle or blowing out a rear tire on our crappy highways in Louisiana I went ahead a bought a F-350 DRW that's a night and day difference. The 250 did the job but not the right truck for these heavy trailers.

 
  #7  
Old 06-11-2018, 05:46 PM
00t444e's Avatar
00t444e
00t444e is offline
Elder User
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern OH
Posts: 954
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A 42ft 5th wheel has allot more wind resistance than a goosneck with a skid steer. Your F250 has adequate power and braking ability to tow a load like that but it will be much less stable than a dually would be, that is why so many people prefer a dually for towing because it tows much better due to the wider axle and increased stability it offers on the highway.
 
  #8  
Old 06-11-2018, 06:52 PM
xrated
xrated is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 343
xrated is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
A 42ft 5th wheel has allot more wind resistance than a goosneck with a skid steer. Your F250 has adequate power and braking ability to tow a load like that but it will be much less stable than a dually would be, that is why so many people prefer a dually for towing because it tows much better due to the wider axle and increased stability it offers on the highway.
Not to mention 3000+ more available payload capacity for a trailer that size!
 
  #9  
Old 06-11-2018, 11:19 PM
99150's Avatar
99150
99150 is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,416
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Itsadrtyjob View Post
Hello all. I know there is tons of info on this forum but I wanted to start my own thread.

I have a 2016 Platinum Ford F250 with a 6.7 D 4x4 with 3.55 gears SWB Bed. Air lift 5k Bags. NO lift kit.

I tow a 38ft fifth wheel now with little to no issues. I want to buy a new toy hauler. (heavier) Whos is doing it? I dont want to hear anything about what ford says a vehicle can tow. Most of it is so under rated it ridiculous. I have towed a 40' gooseneck 8.5 deck over trailer with two 14k lb skid steers on it for years. I know the 6.7 has the power and stopping ability with the right set up. I guess what my real questions are is who else out there is towing heavier? I mean. My trailer is equipped properly (Brakes) Load is balanced.. My air bags level my truck and add support. My tuner tells my engine what to do. My tranny stays cool. What other problems are you guys experiencing. I see alot of guys who are scared to buy fifth wheels because of what the dealers and RV peeps are telling them. It just is upsetting. King pin weight, dry pin weight, GVWR, BLAH BLAH BLAH! (as you can tell i am frustraded from talking to many sales people at the RV show this weekend who told me I can tow a 20K Toy hauler. let me reiterate. I tow over 30k lbs for work all the time. Talk to me!

BTW I am looking at a CYCLONE 42 Fifth Wheel triple axle.

No I wont post my stickers! HAHA

Also, I will admit that I couldn't do it without the air lift suspension. Maybe they are the ones who need all the credit. HAHA
Well, sir; yup, I started towing my toy hauler (41í Raptor, 18000 GVW) with an F250......had air bags and all.......after one trip from the north country to Arizona and back, I started seroiusly looking for a dually. MUCH happier now. Yes, the 250 pulled it, but I never really relaxed while doing it. The 250 was much happier pulling my 38í enclosed gooseneck because I could place my load better, and it didnít catch near as much wind. The side winds out in the great plains states were what made me really look for a dually. Night and day difference in towing experience.
 
  #10  
Old 06-11-2018, 11:40 PM
texastech_diesel's Avatar
texastech_diesel
texastech_diesel is offline
Disgruntled Texan
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 8,995
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Not to mention 3000+ more available payload capacity for a trailer that size!
And the significant excess capacity of the tires. In order of actual applicability IMO the limits run GCWR, GVWR, GAWR, then tire load index which I consider accurate; I won't mess with that one particular rating. GCWR, that's basically made up; GVWR is better but still arbitrary, GAWR at least you can look at spring, wheel, tire, and axle weight ratings to see what's closest to limiting, but tires is pretty much a "don't go over this". I pass too many SRWs parked on the side of the highway with bedside blowout damage for me to risk overloading a tire, that's just plain stupid. Not sure how OP gets to what has to be nearly a 40,000# trailer weight with factory 20" 126 load index tires unless he's running a 10% pin weight on his deckover (admittedly, goosenecks do let you play more with the load but that seems really light). The number of tires on the trailer shouldn't be more than double what's on the truck's drive axle IMO, if you follow that logic you should always be fine. Triple-singles can probably work with a SRW if it's a toyhauler and you can balance it right.
 
  #11  
Old 06-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Itsadrtyjob
Itsadrtyjob is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 8
Itsadrtyjob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Just because you tow overloaded, doesn't mean you can't continue to tow overloaded!

Seriously, are you looking for factual info, or for someone to tell you what you want to hear? Your present payload capacity on your truck (if it's a 4x4) is probably around 2000-2100 lbs. How much over payload capacity are you now?
Like I said. I made modifications. I have air lift suspension 5000. Tell me what I want to hear? Sure if youve done it or are doing it. Yes I know I can tow the RV. I asked all I wanted to know. Who else is doing it? What problems are you having. Factual isnt always what the recommended spread sheets say. So yes I want factual. I mean ford has to CYOA. I get that. I just wanted to see who else was doing what I want to do and how big they were/are going. I also wanted to create a thread where someone actually challenged the current data on the market. Rather than shut down every that wants a little heavier RV but doesnt pull the trigger because he is 1000 pounds GVWR under weight. Listen, I am fully aware that I am breaking the rules. I also know I cant change the certification sticker on my truck and make it higher with the modifications I have made. But I do know that the F250 is a beast and can handle much more than suggested. Also, you asked what my current payload is. On my Fifth wheel its 2500. On the Gooseneck I am not really sure to be honest. Has to be more though. One would assume.
 
  #12  
Old 06-12-2018, 06:25 PM
Itsadrtyjob
Itsadrtyjob is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 8
Itsadrtyjob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 99150 View Post

Well, sir; yup, I started towing my toy hauler (41í Raptor, 18000 GVW) with an F250......had air bags and all.......after one trip from the north country to Arizona and back, I started seroiusly looking for a dually. MUCH happier now. Yes, the 250 pulled it, but I never really relaxed while doing it. The 250 was much happier pulling my 38í enclosed gooseneck because I could place my load better, and it didnít catch near as much wind. The side winds out in the great plains states were what made me really look for a dually. Night and day difference in towing experience.
You sir are just the guy I am looking for. Thanks for the info. I knew there were other guys out there like us who "just have to try it" Winds. you have a great point. I do plan to buy a dually as well. I just need to wait about 6 months or so until I recoop from this purchase. Was thinking about the keys (key west) a couple of times this year. Straight flat roads all the way. Maybe 60mph on Overseas why if I am lucky and good traffic. I think my baby will do it but Ill be a little heavier than you were. Maybe 2k more. Did the front end of yours lift much? What was your payload or pin weight? Thanks in advance.
 
  #13  
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Itsadrtyjob
Itsadrtyjob is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 8
Itsadrtyjob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel View Post
And the significant excess capacity of the tires. In order of actual applicability IMO the limits run GCWR, GVWR, GAWR, then tire load index which I consider accurate; I won't mess with that one particular rating. GCWR, that's basically made up; GVWR is better but still arbitrary, GAWR at least you can look at spring, wheel, tire, and axle weight ratings to see what's closest to limiting, but tires is pretty much a "don't go over this". I pass too many SRWs parked on the side of the highway with bedside blowout damage for me to risk overloading a tire, that's just plain stupid. Not sure how OP gets to what has to be nearly a 40,000# trailer weight with factory 20" 126 load index tires unless he's running a 10% pin weight on his deckover (admittedly, goosenecks do let you play more with the load but that seems really light). The number of tires on the trailer shouldn't be more than double what's on the truck's drive axle IMO, if you follow that logic you should always be fine. Triple-singles can probably work with a SRW if it's a toyhauler and you can balance it right.
Agree with a lot you said. I definitely overloaded my tires a few times but only on short local trips. Never any hwy runs. Rubber isn't factory. I replaced with better tires. 20" factory wheels. yes. I play with my machines when i load them to get my weight placed perfectly. One foot in the wrong direction makes a world of difference thats for sure.
 
  #14  
Old 06-12-2018, 06:34 PM
Itsadrtyjob
Itsadrtyjob is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 8
Itsadrtyjob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
A 42ft 5th wheel has allot more wind resistance than a goosneck with a skid steer. Your F250 has adequate power and braking ability to tow a load like that but it will be much less stable than a dually would be, that is why so many people prefer a dually for towing because it tows much better due to the wider axle and increased stability it offers on the highway.

Dually will come after a few months of purchase if truly needed. Wish i didnt have to purchase one to be honest. I love my SRW. Parking a dually is a pain!!
 
  #15  
Old 06-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Ram2Ford
Ram2Ford is offline
Freshman User
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 35
Ram2Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.

I pull a 2017 43ft triple axle Road Warrior with my Ď17 F350 SRW and it does just fine. I have AirLift bags and an Anderson hitch. Towed it around 1,000 miles this spring with zero issues. I also pulled the same trailer with a 1 ton SRW Ram mega cab with bags and it was way over loaded but again I never felt it was unsafe even in windy conditions...thatís just me, been towing for years.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-250 Will tow a Toy Hauler, wont it...?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.