Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Blind spot mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 11:18 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
My truck didn’t come with the factory blind spot mirrors, so I added some of those convex ones you can get at the auto parts store.

If the factory ones are not curved enough to provide an advantage, perhaps they are flat enough to attach the ones from the auto parts store? That might be an easy solution...if it works without them falling off.

Old 06-14-2018, 02:45 PM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CR172
The 'blind spot' mirror on the standard mirror is not adjustable.
Hmm Maybe that is why the OP was questioning his blind spot mirrors ? When I first responded, I believed they were adjustable like mine. Ah live and learn.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:01 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
I adjusted my mirrors out (again) so the truck is not visible without moving my head a bit. That seems to give a better field of vision in the mirror as suggested above. I do like to see the back of the vehicle, as it's an easy way to see where you are at vs. the center line. (Mom's driving lessons stick, right or wrong).

Having said that, I too believe the fixed blind spot mirrors on the F150 are nearly worthless, and I would rather be able to affix my own vs. suffer the loss of that mirror area for a mirror that adds, as far as I can tell, nothing to the side view.

Any vehicle overtaking me on the right seems to appear in both mirrors at the same time. I have not been able to check at low speeds the side-by-side images, but I'll get around to it.

IMO for a blind spot mirror to be of value, you should be able to see something beside you that is not in your main mirror view.

More later, as this horse gets softer and more splattery and fun to beat as time goes by.
This is exactly what I was getting at. I'm not looking for a debate on how to adjust my mirror. I'm not a 50 year veteran of driving, but I believe myself to be a well above average driver. I was simply stating that the full mirror and blind spot mirror are showing nearly identical images. If it were independently adjustable it would be different, but since it is not I feel like I would be much better suited with a full mirror that I could adjust differently, and thus, likely, eliminating the blind spots altogether with no need for the "blind spot" mirror.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:19 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Guys I also find the mirrors very hard to see a car approaching on my left side mostly,I'll have a view of them approaching
and poof they are in the blind spot so you have to do a double take (Move your Head) to find them again, the
Convex mirrors on the bottom are useless on my trim level, I'll have to put peeps on the bottom of Mirror.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:35 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ecoboost12
Hi Guys I also find the mirrors very hard to see a car approaching on my left side mostly,I'll have a view of them approaching
and poof they are in the blind spot so you have to do a double take (Move your Head) to find them again, the
Convex mirrors on the bottom are useless on my trim level, I'll have to put peeps on the bottom of Mirror.
Don't know what to tell ya. I have the exact same mirrors on my truck and I have no problems seeing anything approaching from either side, rear, etc. Not trying to preach to the choir or anything, but maybe, just maybe if you'd at least give the recommended mirror positioning an honest try, you might find it works. When I get in my truck after my wife drives it all I can see is the side of the truck. I have no idea what she see's in the mirrors. When I have them positioned as I like them, I don't see any of the truck in the side views. Just a nice clean view of both the left and right lanes with no or very little blind spot.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:05 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I do not doubt you can see fine, as can I. It's just that the images are basically the same. The "blind" spot mirror is not telling me anything the main mirror isn't telling me.

I'll do some more testing--low speed parking lot where I can watch each mirror independently. Perhaps there is a split second advantage. If I find it I'll post up.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:41 AM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Thanks for your Reply's Yea this has been a problem for some time, I put a 2 in convex on my Lower Left of my drivers mirror problem is the Useless convex mirror
that Ford put on there interferes with it.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:42 PM
tomfiii
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those convex mirrors on these trucks don't have a wide enough area of rearward view, would have been best if factory placed a solid mirror and an adjustable at lower edge corner.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:54 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
I'm thinking of Blanking my Factory Convex out, try to remove it or put something over it,I know the Dealer is going to tell me to deal with it I really think this is a Safety Issue and
I'm going to take it Higher up I, paid close to 50,000 for this truck and I have to worry about sideswiping someone, Not Acceptable!!!!!

Old 06-16-2018, 06:27 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
You might be able to have a glass shop replace the mirrors, then add whatever convex you like.

I would not go so far as to say they are going to cause me to hit something. I'm just looking for more out of them. No time to do my slow-speed test. More later maybe.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:06 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've found that it always pays to not depend totally on mirrors.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:19 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
I have to admit being one who doesn't like the SAE and other similar methods of mirror adjustment. I want to see my vehicle in the side mirrors. Not a lot of it, just a sliver, as without being able to see your own vehicle you have no reference for where what your'e seeing in the mirror is. Think of an extreme example - someone/something hits your mirror and it's now pointing too far to the side. If you now can't see a sliver of the side of your own vehicle it's pretty obvious that has happened. Without that reference, good luck picking up on that. The same logic applies in less severe situations. I drove commercial for many years - there you usually have the advantage of several mirrors, but there's no way you wouldn't have at least one on each side adjusted to show the side of your vehicle. Just my $0.02...

Old 06-22-2018, 09:35 AM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Again as stated on this forum The higher trim levels get the Adjustable Convex or smaller Mirror on the XLT it is Not adjustable
And Yes I do Rely on my Rearview and Sideview mirrors these are trucks Man,These mirrors are Especially More Useless when
towing Oh they didn't want us to Tow didn't even come with a ITBC,But if I was to afford the higher trim level I wouldn't have to rely
on my side view Mirror, I do depend totally on my Mirrors my neck isn't on a 180 degree pivot.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:42 AM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by NewEnglandHerdsman
I have to admit being one who doesn't like the SAE and other similar methods of mirror adjustment. I want to see my vehicle in the side mirrors. Not a lot of it, just a sliver, as without being able to see your own vehicle you have no reference for where what your'e seeing in the mirror is. Think of an extreme example - someone/something hits your mirror and it's now pointing too far to the side. If you now can't see a sliver of the side of your own vehicle it's pretty obvious that has happened. Without that reference, good luck picking up on that. The same logic applies in less severe situations. I drove commercial for many years - there you usually have the advantage of several mirrors, but there's no way you wouldn't have at least one on each side adjusted to show the side of your vehicle. Just my $0.02...
If you can't tell where you are by the lane markings, you shouldn't be on the road. Please let me know when you are traveling so I can be sure to stay off the roads.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:13 PM
tomfiii
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CR172
If you can't tell where you are by the lane markings, you shouldn't be on the road. Please let me know when you are traveling so I can be sure to stay off the roads.
He is not looking at the lane markings! It is what most commercial drivers do as they worry about any possibility of an accident and bosses reaction. Also to catch the idiot behind you about to dive bomb into the lane you want.

Quick Reply: Blind spot mirrors