Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on this 6 position chip

Old 06-10-2018, 01:17 AM
StrokinHer01
Senior User
StrokinHer01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:49 AM
Wesley Green
Senior User
Wesley Green is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'll share my experience on it.
Before you order, pull your pcm and get the codes off it to send them that info, you have to pull it to install it anyways, might as well have some experience at it before it's all excitement and adrenaline installing the chip. Year and auto or manual isn't really enough and is hit or miss since there are so many pcm combinations possible. Was a big miss on mine, ( threw SES light and limp mode) had to ship it back after they guessed the wrong pcm codes and added an extra 3 months of unneeded hassle and spousal frustration to the experience.

It adds power but with stock injectors and an upgraded stock turbo above the 50 and 75hp setting you'll look like a crappy Dodge bellowing smoke with no real improvement on power above the 50 & 75 setting. I got GearHead tunes on the same type of chip after a year of the "TS" canned tunes. Vastly different tuning but your preferences may be different than mine. If you want GH get it thru their site vs buying one then having them burn it, it's cheaper.

GH has waay less smoke in the top 3 settings than TS, but the TS tunes spool up the turbo waay faster, better mileage with all the GH tunes vs TS

A stoplight warrior that likes rolling coal and turbo whine will love the TS more than GH tunes, if you tow and want better mileage go with Gearhead.
Gearhead tunes costs more but after comparing them both Gearhead fits my driving needs vs cool kid wants better. But the TS tunes sure were fun to spool up the turbo with

Obviusly an EGT guage is first

edit: Forgot to mention if you ever do any troubleshooting or logging with Forscan or torque pro with TS tunes MAKE SURE you either remove the chip or at least put it in the stock setting. Every click of the **** makes the MAP read about 1 psi less even with the engine off, and made the air intake temp read below freezing. Took me a while to figure out why my MAP was reading 10.4 with the engine off vs my altitudes normal 14.4 , and torquepro would warn me of icy road conditions in the heat of summer

Old 06-10-2018, 07:56 AM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Do you have to pull the PCM to get the pertinent data? ForScan reads a lot of that stuff.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:47 AM
Wesley Green
Senior User
Wesley Green is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
Do you have to pull the PCM to get the pertinent data? ForScan reads a lot of that stuff.
I think your right, I want to say it says the computer code, but I haven't needed to use Forscan for so many months I can't remember 100%

Old 06-13-2018, 04:54 PM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
The PCM code is on the back of the box next to the connection. It is actually viewable with an inspection mirror from under the hood.

IMO you should remove your PCM to make sure you get your PCM code accurately. I read my code withe the PCM installed but had to remove the PCM before I ordered a 6 position chip (years ago). When I saw the PCM code sticker after I removed the unit it was not the same that I wrote down from reading it installed in the truck with the inspection mirror.

I took a picture so never have to remove it to check my PCM code if I ever need it.

Just my .02

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.