Travel Trailer Axle Grease

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 10:15 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I see everyone using red synthetic grease and feel I'm in the minority using a white lithium grease in all my trailer axles. I use Echo lithium grease (manufactured by hydrotex) in all my commercial mower blade spindles. I feel if this grease can handle 18000+ rpm in a mower blade application it can handle any trailer axle bearing. I always have this in my Lincoln pneumatic grease gun and use an easy pack device for my trailer bearings. I've only had one trailer bearing failure in over 22 years of operation and that was my fault. I didn't lube the bearings in over 20,000 miles and the bearing froze to the spindle due to lack of grease in the bearing.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:42 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
I use that same packer. Much easier to do and to watch the grease work all the way through the bearing and push the old grease out. If what you're doing works, I see no reason you should change.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:02 AM
Optimistic Paranoid
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They make a Marine Grease for use in boat trailer bearings. It's not that much more expensive than regular wheel bearing grease, so I figure "Why Not?"

Here's a good overview, for those that are interested:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-grease.aspx

Old 06-25-2018, 10:27 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
A question related to wheel bearing grease...

As I stated in my first post in this thread ( Post 10 ) I have a dedicated grease gun for my trailer's wheel bearings. I pulled that grease gun out of my toolbox recently after sitting there for a year. The drawer was full of oil that had leaked out of the grease gun. Is that normal? The toolbox is in my garage and doesn't see high heat, nothing over say 85 degrees.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:57 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Normal for me for sure. Can't explain it, but you will find it noted on other sites on the Internet. However, if I have pulled the bearing after a year's worth of travel and the grease looks just fine. No meltdown at all.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:54 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
If what you're doing works, I see no reason you should change.
I agree but I was hoping someone would chime in to why a red synthetic grease might be better for wheel bearings. Only reason I use the white lithium grease is because the mechanic at the mower shop said he uses it on his boat trailer bearings and I can buy it from them by the case. I'm coming up on the service mileage for the front 4x4 hubs on my truck and contemplating if I should use something other than the the grease I have on hand.

Originally Posted by HRTKD
I pulled that grease gun out of my toolbox recently after sitting there for a year. The drawer was full of oil that had leaked out of the grease gun. Is that normal? The toolbox is in my garage and doesn't see high heat, nothing over say 85 degrees.
I would say most likely its normal. I had an old hand pump gun that would leak hanging upright on the wall. Ever since I switched to a
Lincoln Pneumatic Grease Gun Lincoln Pneumatic Grease Gun
no more leaks.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:32 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 359 Likes on 131 Posts
The exact type is much less important than regularly scheduled maintenance as Steve will attest to. The only bearing failure I ever had was after driving through flood waters and then not doing maintenance so my fault.

I’ve used White Lithium, Red Synthetic, High Temp Disc Brake, and Marine with no issues. I prefer red synthetic so what I keep on hand and pack it well.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:10 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dirthawg
I agree but I was hoping someone would chime in to why a red synthetic grease might be better for wheel bearings. Only reason I use the white lithium grease is because the mechanic at the mower shop said he uses it on his boat trailer bearings and I can buy it from them by the case. I'm coming up on the service mileage for the front 4x4 hubs on my truck and contemplating if I should use something other than the the grease I have on hand.

I would say most likely its normal. I had an old hand pump gun that would leak hanging upright on the wall. Ever since I switched to a Lincoln Pneumatic Grease Gun no more leaks.

In my opinion, often you will find that is a certain "follow-the-crowd" effect which I do no think is such a bad thing. Someone finds something works and then it catches on as others try it and the alternative choices become less common. That does not always mean the alternatives are bad. I see this all the time with RV stuff where someone says something is better than something else and I have said this several times in the towing forums. We all have opinions, but since there are no comparative studies, we very seldom can back them up with solid data. I use red because it is easy to find and has always worked for me, but I suspect there are dozens of other choices that work just as well. Some people swear by hand packing bearings and that was originally the way I was taught to do it. Then I bought a packer I could attach to my grease gun. Now I can watch the new grease push out the old and see how it is distributed through the rollers. I find it to be easier and less messy. Just a different choice.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:12 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 06-26-2018, 08:15 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Very good, thanks for the honest answers.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:19 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
To me, choosing grease is like choosing motor oil. Make sure to have the right specs (GC - LB for bearings/chassis,) and do not switch from brand to brand unless you're going to thoroughly clean the bearings to prevent grease interactions.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:53 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I know of a company in the US that actually makes grease. They make many different formulas. One formula in particular is dyed 3 different colors for marketing purposes and sold as 3 different applications even though it is the same. Marine wheel bearing grease, Automotive wheel bearing grease, and something else. Reason I was told is boat people will only buy Marine wheel bearing grease for the boat trailers and the automotive people wont use marine grease for automotive wheel bearings.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:02 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Chuck, thanks for the link to that article.

Here's what I found important in the article:
As previously mentioned, greases tend to bleed and release their base oils during storage. The rate of oil released from the grease will increase with time and vary based on the temperature at which it is stored. Ideally, grease should be stored in a cool, dry indoor area that does not exceed 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) and remains above 32 degrees F (0 degrees C).

If a cartridge tube is left in a grease gun, the grease gun should be depressurized, wiped with a clean cloth to remove any contaminants and stored in a horizontal position inside a clean, cool, dry area to keep the oil from bleeding out of the grease.
I followed everything except the depressurization of the grease gun. I'll have to look at my gun to see if it can do that. However, I question how effective that will be.

The Valvoline grease I use is about $6.50 per tube. At that price, I might just pull the tube from the grease gun after I finish with all the zerks I can find, and throw the tube away. That way I don't have to clean up a mess. It sucks to waste 80% of a tube of grease. I supposed I could use those smaller grease guns but I like the big handle.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:55 PM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Reason I was told is boat people will only buy Marine wheel bearing grease for the boat trailers and the automotive people wont use marine grease for automotive wheel bearings.
You'd be amazed at the number of people who pass on a Dunlop MC tire that doesn't say Harley Davidson on it, just to buy the same model with the name for $30 more.
My friend makes an extra $20 off of them, several times a week, after the price difference in ordering them.

Griz

Old 06-26-2018, 03:58 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ibdagriz
You'd be amazed at the number of people who pass on a Dunlop MC tire that doesn't say Harley Davidson on it, just to buy the same model with the name for $30 more.
My friend makes an extra $20 off of them, several times a week, after the price difference in ordering them.

Griz
That is the TRUTH...
the V-Rod and my Honda takes the same Rear tire.. both are ONLY sold by supporting ( Harley / Honda ) dealers.. so Full price... "251" type.
but you can get an Dunlop Elite 3 one size larger.. and 60 dollars less. and its a better and newer design.

stock = 180/55R18... Elite 3.. 200/50R18....