Added a swing-out bike rack to our Hallmark Ute - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Slide-in / Truck Campers
Reload this Page >

Added a swing-out bike rack to our Hallmark Ute

Notices

Old 06-09-2018, 01:02 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation

We moved our generator box to the driver's side to provide clearance for the swing-out bike rack we added. The diamond plate cover on the side of the generator box swings up for the generator exhaust. We seldom use the generator, but when traveling out West we did use it as necessary to recharge our batteries.

Perhaps the best thing we have done is get a set of 24" Brophy steps to get rid of the narrow goat walk that is standard. What a difference getting in and out.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:00 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Purdy slick look'n and idea, Tech...the gennie, in your professional opinion, be better to have an equiped TC or the setup you have? Also, the platform for the gennie, did you construct it off the hitch? For now, im welding up one of those swayaway "box" for the cooler/firewood while i use my new to me camper shell. However, the money made of my recent TH sale, im in the market for a TC👍..

Old 07-29-2018, 04:15 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
The pad for the gennie is fastened entirely on the 4" rear bumper which was installed by Hallmark. The bumper is welded to the rear jack legs and the jacks legs are fastened high and low to the camper body on each side. It works out pretty well. We don't use the genny much except to recharge the batteries and occasionally run the microwave. The genset is a Yamaha 2000 in the box. the top of the box locks down as you can see and the genny also has a cable around it that runs out the back of the box and around the bumper. So, yes it can be stolen, but not by the casual walk-by thief. We can remove the genset to use it at home for example with a winter power outage in about two minutes. We never considered a built-in genset and I don't think anyone I know offers them in a pop-up and once we got seriously looking we never considered anything other than a pop-up. I fabbed the box out of some aluminum I had lying around.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:46 PM
mountainkowboy
Junior User
mountainkowboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's AWESOME! I want to add a rear landing to the S&S with accessory ports for add-ons.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:34 PM
_hedge_
Freshman User
_hedge_ is starting off with a positive reputation.
On a related note, Yakima (they call it the Backswing) and Kuat (they call it the pivot) both sell swing outs that allow any bike rack to swing out. it's a standard 2" to 2" so it can be used for cargo carriers etc.

Last edited by _hedge_; 07-30-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-31-2018, 10:00 AM
David_h
Freshman User
David_h is starting off with a positive reputation.

How do you like the Rock Mounts Backstage swing away?

Old 07-31-2018, 10:54 AM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by David_h View Post

How do you like the Rock Mounts Backstage swing away?
I really like it. It works very well. We went that route as our bike racks hang the bikes rather than support them on their wheels and twice we arrived with our back wheels just hanging by their chains after traveling a particularly rough section of road. Otherwise we would have considered options that did not include bike racks.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:11 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
smlford has a good reputation on FTE.smlford has a good reputation on FTE.

Congrats on the Hallmark from another owner!
we've been very happy with ours!

Old 08-09-2018, 06:12 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by smlford View Post

Congrats on the Hallmark from another owner!
we've been very happy with ours!
We're kinda put out right now. We are getting ready to head West and I am really getting tired of chasing leaks on the leading edge of the front. Since it is an 04, I know it has some age on it. Hallmark is off right now on vacation, but when they return I am going to call about getting the top and vinyl redone. I heard it is $6,000 for a complete new top and vinyl. Other than that we have used it a lot and have enjoyed it so much so our fifth wheel has just been sitting since last spring. If they weren't so darn expensive we would consider new, but $45K for a new UTE is a lot of coin!

Glad you are enjoying yours! where are yhou?

Old 08-10-2018, 05:17 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
smlford has a good reputation on FTE.smlford has a good reputation on FTE.
We're in Virginia.
yeah the new tops are expensive but they are a major improvement over what you have. As I understand it the top is a one piece carbon fiber / fiberglass blend that is extremely strong. It is one of the reasons we got one. You can see a video on their website where they raise the top with an ATV on top with its driver. No other pop up can do that...

Old 08-10-2018, 06:56 AM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
I did see their video. I also like Outfitters and would have a hard time choosing between them.