1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Ignition key not sending power to the solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 09:33 PM
CottonTexas
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition key not sending power to the solenoid

Hello everyone, I'm having problems getting "No-Place" to start with the ignition key, and I'm really hoping that y'all might help me find the right answer before I have to get 'er towed to a shop. "No-Place" is a 1985 Econoline 150 cargo van w/ a 300 I-6, and a 4-spd. manual transmission. I believe the trouble started when I replaced the turn signal switch in the (no-tilt) column, but I've also replaced both the battery cables, starter solenoid, and ignition switch, and cleaned the ignition lock cylinder. I can get the engine to turn over if I jump the solenoid, but I can't seem to get the key to send power to the solenoid. I don't have a wiring diagram or anything, so I've been doing the best I can with my test light, and any help or advice provided here would be greatly appreciated. Thank in advance, Cotton

Old 06-07-2018, 11:32 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
This might help a little. Pay no mind to the scribbling as we were converting from the TIF ignition back to a Dura-spark II ignition system.
If you want to get really confused you can go here to the thread where we went through everything. The 85 E150 was a transition year where ford was starting to change over from the Duraspark system to the TIF ignition. I know the 4.9 and the 5.0 were TFI ignitions and believe the 5.8 and larger engines were still using the Dura-Spark II ignition systems. The main harness from the firewall is the same though and if one had the wiring harness for the 5.8 engine van, they could just unplug the engine harness for the TIF ignition system and plug in the Duraspark engine system harness. In my case I could not find the correct harness and had to work with one that had burnt wires and a few other differences. That is part of why the thread got so long and involved. BUT it covers just about anything concerning the starting system... It would just take awhile for one to sift through it
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eeclv-tfi.html

Old 06-08-2018, 12:11 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Here is a little more that might help you out.. The pics I posted in the other thread were on photobucket and are gone but I can post them here.. The pic of the connectors go along with the discussion on the other thread.
The connector with the pinks, purples and black, If I remember correctly run down to the transmission and are for the NSS on the AOD, not sure what they do on a manual....

The connector in the middle with the RED/Blue stripe, #32 on the diagram above, is the start wire from the switch to the starter relay.

here is the bottom side of those connectors that go to the engine harness. Notice not all the wires are the same on the engine side of the harness as compared to the wires coming out of the firewall.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:07 PM
CottonTexas
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for the reply! I didn't know that there was a clutch safety switch (It must have been bypassed by a previous owner), so I'll have to look into that as well since I have a nasty habit of finding plugs that go together and reattaching them without being certain of what they are. I will try to chase the #32 lead and see if there are any bad spots on the cable or connections. Many many thanks for your post here, you have been very helpful! Cheers, Cotton

EDIT: After tracing the leads down towards the clutch safety switch, I found where a previous owner had taped the switch connection to the wiring deep in the underside of the dash, and when I unravelled the tape, I discovered a burnt jumper wire that had been used to bridge the switch harness. Thanks again to Annaleigh, you are truly a most valuable asset to the forum, and on more than one occasion, a genuine help to me personally. A most sincere "Thank You!" can only begin to express my real gratitude, but it will have to do. Thank you for all the help you've been to me and all the others here. You are most appreciated.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:17 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Thank you for the very kind words Cotton! I ask so many questions here in the forum that I have to do something to give back. I also realized that there is a added benefit of helping others and that is that in this case, it helps me also to understand how my own van works. I am far from an expert but between working on my my 85 and 88 van along with helping research for others, perhaps one day I will have 1/2 the answers.... Personally I would rather have my 85 van running because it is much simpler to work on and understand compared to the EFI. Alas though I will probably wind up making my 85 a parts van for the 88 till the government tells me I cant leave it sitting behind the barn!

Just thinking a work around for that would be to disassemble it in to a pile of parts