2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

ROAD TRIP REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:49 PM
EXPE15
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROAD TRIP REVIEW

I recently returned from a almost 3600 mile road trip on the 2015 Expedition. Mission was the Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA I have been every years but one since 2009 when I started with my Dodge group.

Overall vehicle worked great one little scare with the oil possibly over serviced but I had dealer double check and it was fine. Great high visibility ride and no lack of view. The Blind spots of the B pillar that I was so used to on my 2014 Taurus are almost non existent. Good ride, not overly noisy and ironically for a frame on body full size SUV very comfortable almost touring sedan comfort. I definitely took advantage of the 2nd row bucket seats. My 2 year old puppy had the passengers side 2nd row and the 5' stuffed bear.....a prop for the car show had the drivers 2nd row. I was able to set his bed on the middle row floor and he had "Business Class Lie Flat" premium seating" tethered to the seat belt anchor he had enough room to sit on the seat, lie on the seat, stretch on the floor and move around enough to stretch and either lie back-front or front-back. I had a foldable cooler with ice and a convenient tray table for him. He had ice chips and water in one section and some "Snack kibble" in the other. Convenient for me to reach for ice while driving but still keep safe control.

Comfort.....A little high to initially get in but the running boards helped and for the most part was slide out almost like a escape slide. over the running boards and down. Seat set to my normal view high and full back. I also am old school and keep the seat upright. I am not risking a broken spine and I was able to maintain two-three hour legs in one case almost four. Most stops were fairly quick fuel, quick stretch, potty etc.... Tulsa- St. Louis and Indianapolis-Pittsburgh were about the two longest fuel legs almost 500 miles each. Fuel computer still said I had more but I am a person that tops off on start of each leg. Scout was fine and even with the cargo area pretty full still reasonable visibility. I didn't have a scale and might have slightly overloaded cargo the cargo was evenly distributed among the cargo.2nd row and front row. Third row seats were folded down and literally a full cargo area. Controls were easily accessible at least the most commonly used ones....windows, SYNC3 PANEL, shifter, etc.... Seat memory setting not my ideal choice of locations but once set as Ron Popeil says...."Set it and forget it" Good overall visibility, the "Eyebrow" tint above my windshield was a little low for my taste but I worked through it until I got to my place in Maryland that did a headlight foreign object prevention film was able to remove and re cut at the AS-1 Line and straight across. The original problem was it felt in my perephial vision. May be legal but I felt uncomfortable and had it re cut.

Noise: Unusually quiet for a large truck platform based SUV but I will take it. Load leveling suspension and pretty much all comforts associated with this model except for moonroof and power retractable running boards. I did not observe any unusually high ambient road noise even with the highway speeds.

Fuel Economy/Power: This is where I was pleasantly surprised. Remember Dallas-Tulsa and Tulsa-MO State Line is for the most part 75MPH limit with of course the exception is metro areas and construction zones. One more area on the return was Arkansas State Line-Fort Worth was 75MPH. Again metro and construction zones exception. All other areas, MO/IL/IN/OH/WV/PA/KY/TN/AR were 70MPH again the obvious exceptions. My routing was Fort Worth-Oklahoma City-Tulsa-44E-St Louis 70E-Indianapolis-Columbus, Pittsburgh 76E (PA Turnpike) Carlisle. return was 76W-Columbus-71S Cincinnati -Louisville-65S-Nashville 40W-Memphis-Little Rock-30W-dallas_Arlington and 20W-home. Mostly interstate speeds and with the exception of the rogue left lane blockers both vehicles and semis I was able to hold a fairly steady mid 70s for speed. Trimmed with cruise control and worked like a champ. Overall mileage according to trip2 was around 20 MPG. When I take a road trip I use both trip odometers. #1 is reset each leg and #2 is set at departure and left alone until return. For V6 carrying almost 7300 lbs. I consider 20 stellar especially considering highway speeds, front and rear A/C on and pretty fully loaded out.

Good visibility and although you might be wondering why I am taking a 7300 lb. SUV floating fuel tank almost 3600 mileages well///Simple reason.....I can and the extra comfort of a large vehicle and safety of mind was probably worth the price of admission.

Cargo. I found a few probably little known storage space that may not be thought of. 1. Under the 2nd row seats. I was able to store a set of fine "Rocks" glasses under the 2nd row passenger seat. Out of sight and they didn't fall out when opening the door. I also raised the unoccupied front passenger seat all the way up and found a little more storage space for the dogs "ONBOARD" water dish. The front passenger seat was not occupied by passengers but still a mini snack cooler.

SYNC3: A fairly notable glitch which I have addressed with the vendor tech was the audio had a glitch where no matter what the source was when you started the vehicle it would default to AM radio. And of course not the religious, Glenn Beck Rush Limbaugh AM radio the high static only AM stereo. Still working on software update but aside from that glitch system was quick on the response.....sometimes too quick. Still unable to enter destination while driving but you can enter the entire address in one motion instead of state, city, address, street, etc..... it recognized most of my destinations by partial entry or at least gave choices...>Example Enter 1000 Bryn Mawr Road Carlisle, PA (Fairgrounds) 1000 Bryn Mawr then any address with that entry would come up if not then enter Car then after that the rest Lisle, PA would show up. You can also use the Travel Link APP which was still on free trial to check fuel prices, by city, distance, along route, A-Z Even select a octane and it will filter. That was nice but the key part of the Travel Link I used was the weather. You can select area, city, current weather, five day and even a radar map overlay. The APP also has sport scores, and movie listings but I did not use them this trip. The final part of the APP is traffic I have not used this on this trip but I have used it before. I primarily listen to Sirius/XM local traffic channel if available. Clear screen not excessive glare and the Light Blue screen seems to be a balanced color for day and night. Good viewing angle and some climate and audio controls have back up physical buttons but the touch screen worked like a charm. I will consider a screen protector and stylus but capacitive screen worked great. Camera worked like a charm and unlike my previous SYNC/MFT the ambient lighting stayed the color you selected except for default light blue when vehicle shut off and doors open. Despite my initial reservations based on my Taurus the SONY system worked great. Door speaker upgrade wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing but they worked pretty decent for this trip. As a matter of fact I just happened to have some Rockford Fosgate 6.5's from a vehicle that I no longer have...ironically one of the trade ins for this Expedition. They might find a home if I can find some adapters.

Climate Control: Trust me I was getting froze out after a couple of hours....even with the sun in my face. I was finding myself setting the AUTO to 72 after a couple of hours or switching the vents to split between floor and face. The A/C seats were like sitting on a block of ice after about three hours. During a winter trip I will check out the heated function. Climate controls responsive and reasonably good user interface. Rear control was set to around mid level with vents facing down for puppies comfort. Highway cruising he would be out for two-three hours at a time but he knew when traffic was slowing he would wake up stretch sit on the seat and look out the window.

Over all good review and decent fuel economy. I was not trying to set fuel mileage records and I was not wanting to make this trip any longer than necessary. I even treated to a few tanks of 93 Octane when I could find it. Those of you in OK/West/Central MO/AR You know exactly what I am talking about I did get one tank of approximately 22 MPG...trust me I had to recheck the numbers twice but it was legit.

NOTE: This was a upgrade from 4D tech from the SYNC2 MFT/NAV to the SYNC3 NAV. Pricey but only took about an hour to install and works great, much more responsive and improved user interface over the SYNC...YES Even the MFT models When I get the glitch worked out on the stereo I might consider swapping the MFT to SYNC3 on the Taurus.