Gearhead Tuning Update: KENTON IS GONE - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Gearhead Tuning Update: KENTON IS GONE

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 06-06-2018, 05:03 PM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of

While I have no affiliation with Gearhead I have had a less than favorable customer (and product) service experience with them over the past year. A good portion of that was not their fault but they did not do much to help their situation with their non-assistance (3 months and no responses).

Others have posted on their experiences as well demonstrating a declining trend in one of the heralded tuners on this forum.

That being said I felt compelled to publish some information that I learned today when talking with them on the phone to resolve my issue.

They have made some internal adjustments over the spring and Kenton is no longer with GH and they are working to catch up now that he is gone.

They were incredibly apologetic for my situation (Kenton was my "tuner" there) and are willing to forego the vendor purchase and work with me directly from now on.

Not earth-shattering news but I think good news is worthy to be posted as well as the bad.

GH has earned a second chance with me so I thought I'd pass it along.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:01 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
jhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to behold
Thank you for sharing this. I sent Matt emails and eventually spoke with him over a year ago because I felt somewhat responsible for sending him business via my endorsements here and elsewhere.

Good riddance....

Old 06-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Hiring Kenton or allowing him to have a such a large influence in their business was a horrible mistake that they will take years to regain the trust of their customers.

I was lucky enough to get in with GH before the Kenton debacle happened.

Brian, I hope they make things right for you.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:21 AM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Hiring Kenton or allowing him to have a such a large influence in their business was a horrible mistake that they will take years to regain the trust of their customers.

I was lucky enough to get in with GH before the Kenton debacle happened.

Brian, I hope they make things right for you.
I spoke with them for quite awhile on the phone yesterday about my situation. They are willing to cut out the middle man and just work with me directly from now on. It will take a little bit to establish the baseline with them so they have all my information but are eager to make things right.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:28 PM
beef tits
Senior User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My experience with Kenton was also less than great, but everyone else there followed through on everything... eventually!

My first HPOP had a bad o-ring seat which leaked, they had a new one sent out promptly.

Overall, I would buy from again. If you guys want a truly terrible customer experience it's not far away.. .just hit your local Home Depot. Everyone they employ seems to be a complete moron who knows nothing about what they sell or product applications.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:34 AM
IDI-Charlie
Posting Guru
IDI-Charlie has a good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice to know the problem has been dealt with, hope that word gets out and GH can get back on track. If things start looking up with GH again here soon, I may consider going with their tunes.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:33 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
I will back Brian and say that my experience was the same. Kenton was less than fun to deal with and had an ego to go with it. After completely screwing up my tuning and me having someone else tune it right, Matt contacted me personally. I would have let him make it right, but someone else very knowledgeable had already stepped in, so he refunded my money. He did the best he could do and was very apologetic. That's all I needed. Good on Matt for taking ahold of his business again. Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson to not let someone else run the show.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:03 AM
brian42
Postmaster
Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie View Post
Nice to know the problem has been dealt with, hope that word gets out and GH can get back on track.
One of the reasons I started this thread.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
One of the reasons I started this thread.
Because of the grief he has caused to Gearheads internet rep, maybe you should rename this thread "Gearhead Tuning Update: KENTON IS GONE"

Stewart

Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 AM
brian42
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Because of the grief he has caused to Gearheads internet rep, maybe you should rename this thread "Gearhead Tuning Update: KENTON IS GONE"

Stewart
Well if the moderator says it's okay then...

Old 06-11-2018, 09:27 AM
brian42
Postmaster
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
They are willing to cut out the middle man and just work with me directly from now on. It will take a little bit to establish the baseline with them so they have all my information but are eager to make things right.
Sent in all my information and less than 24 hours later I had a new set of tunes to try. I think they are going back to files that Kenton hadn't touched as I was told that we are "starting from the beginning" with the tunes.

I haven't had a lot of time to test them out (or get on it) as I'm chasing an oil leak so have been tender with it when I do drive it but I do like that my ICP peaks at 3000 psi.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
Music plays...

"Hit the road, Kenton.
No more tune messin no mo no mo no mo no mo..."

Old 06-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Never had the pleasure of dealing with Kenton but the general opinion is I am glad he is gone too.