Intro and need some help 1954 F250 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Intro and need some help 1954 F250

Old 06-06-2018, 02:43 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User
1954wrecker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Intro and need some help 1954 F250

Hello Everyone,

i just picked up a 1954 F250 Wrecker and Iím trying to get it back on the road.

I need a new gas line from the tank to the fuel pump, the one I found from InlineTube is for a 1954 F100, will that work on a F250? I canít image itís too different but Iím new to these trucks.

thanks,
Chris

Old 06-06-2018, 03:17 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
Nice looking truck...nothing special about a gas line, with out much in the way of tools or skills you can easily make one up yourself. To answer your question though...there should be no difference in the line for the F100 or the F250.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:51 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Welcome Chris. Love your wrecker. Can't wait to see it running.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:25 PM
pineconeford
Posting Guru
pineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant future
That truck is awesome. I see you are in Penn. There will be a gathering of us at Bald Eagle State Park this coming September. Would like to see it in person.
Welcome to FTE.
Tom

Old 06-06-2018, 05:12 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by pineconeford View Post
That truck is awesome. I see you are in Penn. There will be a gathering of us at Bald Eagle State Park this coming September. Would like to see it in person.
Welcome to FTE.
Tom
I agree with Tom. I am hosting the 2018 Central Pa Mountain Truckstock. It is in Howard, near Lock Haven. Where are you from. Tom is driving his truck from Maine. Search for this thread for info: 2018 Central PA Truckstock, plan now.

And welcome to FTE the best Ford truck Forum on the world wide web! We have lots of experts here that are willing to help.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:11 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User
Iím just out side of Philadelphia, thatís a pretty long drive at 45 MPH with my Timkin Rear. Iíll check it out and keep it in mind.

Right now Iím just focused on getting this thing running half decent. I have it to the point where it fires right up when itís cold, but once the engine is warm itís very hard to start or wonít start at all. Sometimes when itís runing it just dies, needless to say I have not ventured more than a block from my house.

-Chris

Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Very cool truck! Wreckers are the best. Whatever you do, don't lose the door art.
I would agree with Charlie. If you're handy at all with a tubing bender and flaring tool, a roll of 3/8 steel fuel line from NAPA or equivalent will get you going in no time flat. Make sure you have good fuel delivery and your distributor is working correctly from an advance standpoint. There's also the possibility you have a bad coil or condenser, too, but let's start with the things you know need work. Keep us posted on your findings. We'll take more pictures, too.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:54 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by 1954wrecker View Post
Iím just out side of Philadelphia, thatís a pretty long drive at 45 MPH with my Timkin Rear. Iíll check it out and keep it in mind.

Right now Iím just focused on getting this thing running half decent. I have it to the point where it fires right up when itís cold, but once the engine is warm itís very hard to start or wonít start at all. Sometimes when itís runing it just dies, needless to say I have not ventured more than a block from my house.

-Chris
Chris, I hope you get it running well and stopping good. My 55 starts easy when it's cold and sometimes starts hard when warm. However, I recently gave it a tune up, new points, plugs, wires, condensor and distributor cap and it has been starting quick and easy warm or cold.... so far.

About coming to Truckstock. I have driven my 55 F350 with a 5.83 rearend from Lock Haven to Carlisle twice, from Lock Haven to Lancaster once. And I drove it from Erie to Lock Haven the day I bought it. I can do 55 and sometimes 60 mph. Your rear end would be geared higher.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted with lots of pictures.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
Welcome to the board!!

Wow, what a great old wrecker. Good luck with it
Bobby

Old 06-07-2018, 05:51 AM
FortyNiner
Postmaster
FortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud ofFortyNiner has much to be proud of
Welcome Chris! Great looking old iron. Fabbing a new fuel line is a doable task - even for a marginally adept goof like me. You can give it a go as well. Be sure to check for crud between the tank and fuel line, ask me how I know.

On the starting issue, if you haven't cleaned up the battery/ground connections, that's a good first step. Assuming you are still six volt, those systems like shiny ends. A condensor from NAPA or a new coil may also be in your future, but start with the basics.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:41 AM
1954wrecker
Senior User
Thanks for all of the help.

I tried to order a new gas line and it was 45$ just to have it shipped so Iím going to make a new line as suggested. I also am moving away from the idea that my tank or lines could be clogged as the truck now always starts right up when cold after I cleaned all of the grounds.

last night I put a condenser in it that was in the glove box of the the truck when I got it and it didnít do much. Iíll buy a new one just for good measure and put it in. I also pulled the spark plugs last night and they are all very black and wet. So now Iím thinking too much gas or not enough spark is my issue. Whatís a more scientific way of check spark than holding a plug against the block?

I also got got a new starter solenoid and the harness that goes from the starter solenoid up to the firewall as that was pretty brittle. Iíll work on that tonight or tomorrow.

the distributer, points, and condensor all look to be brand new(but like I said Iíll sill throw in a new condensor). The coil also looks new.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:41 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User
Thanks for everyone's advice, it has all helped make this truck run better

Here is what I have done - replaced the condenser and cleaned and adjusted the points. I put a new battery in it and I cleaned all of the grounds. Spark plugs were black and replaced. I installed a new needle and seat in the carb and replaced two fuel filters.

Here is where I am now - when the truck is dead cold I can get it to start right up on the first crank with a little choke. The truck idles nice and it no longer stall
s out frequently.

Here is the issue I still have - Once the truck gets hot, its harder to impossible to get re-started.

I'm thinking i still need to work on the carb float level, but I already dropped the float height to 1.5 inches. The only other hunch I have is that the starter does not seem to have the cranking speed when the engine is hot as it did when its cold. it seems that if i can get the starter cranking fast that it will start.

Also, whats the best source for build specifics for these trucks? i.e. I would like to find out what my truck is all about.

Thanks for all help.
Chris

Old 06-12-2018, 08:57 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User
Sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited by 1954wrecker; 06-13-2018 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 06-13-2018, 06:56 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey Chris, welcome to FTE! Regarding the trip in September to Truckstock, don't think of it as a long drive at 45 mph--think of it as an extended adventure. I went to a Truckstock event in Kentucky last year. Round trip it was 1400 miles. Our trucks are old, and I had a few issues, but I met some great people along the way. It was an experience I will never forget.

Jim

Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Hotrod350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 1954wrecker View Post
Thanks for everyone's advice, it has all helped make this truck run better

Here is what I have done - replaced the condenser and cleaned and adjusted the points. I put a new battery in it and I cleaned all of the grounds. Spark plugs were black and replaced. I installed a new needle and seat in the carb and replaced two fuel filters.

Here is where I am now - when the truck is dead cold I can get it to start right up on the first crank with a little choke. The truck idles nice and it no longer stall
s out frequently.

Here is the issue I still have - Once the truck gets hot, its harder to impossible to get re-started.

I'm thinking i still need to work on the carb float level, but I already dropped the float height to 1.5 inches. The only other hunch I have is that the starter does not seem to have the cranking speed when the engine is hot as it did when its cold. it seems that if i can get the starter cranking fast that it will start.

Also, whats the best source for build specifics for these trucks? i.e. I would like to find out what my truck is all about.

Thanks for all help.
Chris

There are two resources that I have found invaluable while working on my truck. The service manual and the parts manual. While NumberDummy and TruckDog are way better at reading the parts manual than me, the pretty pictures are nice to look at (they also have the added benefit of showing how things go together). And the service manual has all sorts of information on rebuilding and servicing all the parts of the truck, as well as useful information like torque specs, engine timing, brake and tire information.

Amazon Amazon

Forel Publishing, LLC - 1948-56 Ford Truck Master Parts Catalog (eBook) (The parts manual is available at many different places)