1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Advice on Restomod Any 1948 -1956 truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:18 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by Dazzle
Hi Mark

Thanks for the welcome. This place feels good already, nice sensible replies are refreshing.
Many thanks,
Dazzle
Thats how we roll! Just be sure to include many pictures or we can get nasty!
I've replied to you guys but think I'm having to wait for the admins to approve??

Anyway, here's a quick picture of the one I'm going to look at tonight.
I'll let you know how it goes.

That one looks good. Does it run and stop? And with the traction tires up front you can tell people it's 4 wheel drive! Good luck.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:22 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
A JAG IFS is another option for a front suspension upgrade. Fairly simple mounting, some steering shaft rework, fits the frame rails like it was meant for '48-'52 Ford trucks.
Mine is/was a '49 F3 but I had to open pandora's box and reinvent the truck. I'm still working on it after 8 years, but no credit card use. Takes a lot of time, but that's just me I guess
I went with the Jag IFS from a '79 XJ6 it was cheap too.
Welcome to the forum!

Old 06-09-2018, 08:11 AM
Dazzle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Thats how we roll! Just be sure to include many pictures or we can get nasty!

That one looks good. Does it run and stop? And with the traction tires up front you can tell people it's 4 wheel drive! Good luck.
So, I went to check it out last night and we made a deal. The guy is even going to deliver it for me so that was a result.
I don't know if it would run to be honest. The owner said he never bothered to try.
In reality, I'll be pulling everything out anyway so not too much of a problem.
It has some areas of rot, probably to be expected but it's pretty solid from what I could see and I was liking the idea of it being the F3 and the longer box so thought 'why not?'

Old 06-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Dazzle
New User
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
A JAG IFS is another option for a front suspension upgrade. Fairly simple mounting, some steering shaft rework, fits the frame rails like it was meant for '48-'52 Ford trucks.
Mine is/was a '49 F3 but I had to open pandora's box and reinvent the truck. I'm still working on it after 8 years, but no credit card use. Takes a lot of time, but that's just me I guess
I went with the Jag IFS from a '79 XJ6 it was cheap too.
Welcome to the forum!
Hi Jeff

Thanks for your welcome.

I took a look at you thread, nice work there
In truth, even though I'd like to go about it the same way as you have, I have to be honest with myself in the fact I have too many other things going on and at work a lot!
So, I'm going to go with tried & trusted methods. I'm hoping this will also make it easier and quicker but we'll see.
I know it's not going to be an overnight transformation but I also want to be able to use it sooner rather than later so I'd rather spend my dollars then my time.
As you say, we're all different in our way of doing things.

Many thanks,

Dazzle

Old 06-09-2018, 07:49 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
So, I went to check it out last night and we made a deal. The guy is even going to deliver it for me so that was a result.
Very cool! Congrats on your decision. That looks like a great project and a lot more solid than most. You're going to have fun with it, and we hope to follow your progress along the way. Keep us posted.

Also, fyi, the black fenders contrasting the body color was a trademark of, and unique to, Canadian trucks for these years. US built were all one color. Something you might keep in mind during your restoration as special during your build, if you have that desire.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Dazzle
New User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Very cool! Congrats on your decision. That looks like a great project and a lot more solid than most. You're going to have fun with it, and we hope to follow your progress along the way. Keep us posted.

Also, fyi, the black fenders contrasting the body color was a trademark of, and unique to, Canadian trucks for these years. US built were all one color. Something you might keep in mind during your restoration as special during your build, if you have that desire.
Thanks 52 Merc

I don't want to start off negatively but I'm expecting it to be worse once I start to take it apart! I know I haven't bought a minter but because there's certain things I want to do, I'm happy that I'll be able to make it my own.

Thanks for that information, that now makes sense to me. I had wondered if someone had replaced the fenders but hadn't bothered to paint them
I'm not going to lie though, this won't be a back to original build, probably far from it if it turns out how I want.
Hopefully that won't upset you guys?

Many thanks,

Dazzle

Old 06-10-2018, 03:26 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
I think you'll find there's a fair mix of restorers and modifiers here. In fact, there's even some guys that have (gasp) Chevy engines in their Fords, and we let them hang out with us. LOL!! We look forward to watching your progress. And if anyone doesn't like it, they just wont look.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:07 PM
Dazzle
New User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I think you'll find there's a fair mix of restorers and modifiers here. In fact, there's even some guys that have (gasp) Chevy engines in their Fords, and we let them hang out with us. LOL!! We look forward to watching your progress. And if anyone doesn't like it, they just wont look.
Thanks 52 Merc

I think I might end up being one of those guys