Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The new Cummins 6.7 liter in RAM HD

Old 06-06-2018, 01:39 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 344 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
you've got that right.. 85k f series last month, lowest of the Big 3 in rebates... Raking in the money with record sales again!!
was probly mostly fleet sales, which are meaningless numbers since qaulity of the vehicle is low on the priority list

chances are near zero youll see dana axles in the ram. just no good reason to switch

im sure plenty of closet ford fans will jump ship, assume new name on a ram site, pretend like they never owned a ford. the fan bois will stay around here and go down with the ship

Old 06-06-2018, 04:12 PM
Maximus216
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford will have some surprises in 2020. I looked at Dodge hard before buying my 2018 F250. Dodge didn't have the technology like Ford. I could have save about 4 grand with the Dodge, but decided to go with the Ford. Also with the Dodge, In order to get the 900 lbs of torque and the better transmission you had to get the dually. I test drove the Dodge and Ford back to back and the Ford clearly had more power than the Dodge. Take off is phenomenal.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:23 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by willynilly
was probly mostly fleet sales, which are meaningless numbers since qaulity of the vehicle is low on the priority list

chances are near zero youll see dana axles in the ram. just no good reason to switch

im sure plenty of closet ford fans will jump ship, assume new name on a ram site, pretend like they never owned a ford. the fan bois will stay around here and go down with the ship
""was probably" means "I'm guessing but have no clue or facts to back it up".

fleet sales were down 4.6% and retail was up 3.5% with an overall 1% gain across all vehicles.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:41 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I missed you around here *****!

Old 06-06-2018, 04:53 PM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd have to think that Ford is already making moves towards the 1000 ft lb race as they made some mechanical improvements to the 2018 model, heads and I believe connecting rods. Dodge, or Fiat or Ram, whatever the hell they call themselves nowadays is just playing catch up until they go bankrupt or get bought out again. The only good thing about a Heavy Duty Ram is the Cummins and maybe I could give a nod to the air ride, a nice touch.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:45 PM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts
Who cares. They’ll all have wheel well rust and our aluminum cans will be just fine.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:51 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,171 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by A&Pmech
Do you still have to get the Aisin to get the max output?
Not any more...Aisin's are even available in Toyota's!

Old 06-06-2018, 06:00 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
""was probably" means "I'm guessing but have no clue or facts to back it up".

fleet sales were down 4.6% and retail was up 3.5% with an overall 1% gain across all vehicles.
since you were the guy that posted 85k and seem to have your "facts" in order, how many units were from fleet sales ?

Old 06-06-2018, 06:05 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We're all are winners when the competition tries a one up. Wether it's an F150 or Super Duty, I can't imagine Ford ever giving up first place.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
I spoke to an engineer that was working on the dyno rooms at ford when they were testing the next gen powerstroke. They were planning to be the first to 1000 lbs ft, and he said the motor was capable of over 1200 lbs ft. They were apparently experimenting with short, hockey puck like steel pistons. He wouldn't tell me what the displacement was though. That 7.3 is going to be a gasser, though it is possible they could make the next powerstroke that displacement as well.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
I spoke to an engineer that was working on the dyno rooms at ford when they were testing the next gen powerstroke. They were planning to be the first to 1000 lbs ft, and he said the motor was capable of over 1200 lbs ft. They were apparently experimenting with short, hockey puck like steel pistons. He wouldn't tell me what the displacement was though. That 7.3 is going to be a gasser, though it is possible they could make the next powerstroke that displacement as well.
Yes Ford has a 7.x gasser coming but they are playing with a new 7.3 powerstroke as well. My guy out there drove it a few weeks ago. This is not something that is going to be in production anytime soon or if at all, just things Ford toys with to see what works and what doesnt. Bringing back the 7.3 powerstroke would be cool though..

Old 06-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by willynilly
since you were the guy that posted 85k and seem to have your "facts" in order, how many units were from fleet sales ?
Typically I dont post "probably stuff" when I dont know anything about it. To quote someone and have no clue about it.. saying probably this or that.. well sorry, drives me nuts. No point in even saying it then.

Total fleet sales were 32.5%. Not sure why you even need that number since Ford has been dropping fleet for a while. Plus as I said earlier, sales are up and fleet is down. That shows right there retail is up. Average transaction prices were up $3,400 per unit as well (fleet would not help this).

Old 06-06-2018, 09:10 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
This is all mostly garbage info. Yeah, the new Cummins might have a CGI block; we’ve had it for 7 years now. Yeah, the new Cummins might make more power...the inline 6 will have a lot of trouble making the horsepower of the V8 diesels. The rest of the info about transmissions and power ratings and cabs is pure speculation. I wouldn’t be surprised at a 1000lb-ft Cummins but I would be surprised if it made 430HP.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:40 AM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Typically I dont post "probably stuff" when I dont know anything about it. To quote someone and have no clue about it.. saying probably this or that.. well sorry, drives me nuts. No point in even saying it then.

Total fleet sales were 32.5%. Not sure why you even need that number since Ford has been dropping fleet for a while. Plus as I said earlier, sales are up and fleet is down. That shows right there retail is up. Average transaction prices were up $3,400 per unit as well (fleet would not help this).
i would of just posted a link to where you got your info and let it do the talking. what better way to shut someone up

so no ones confused, all f150 and raptor trucks were included in the 85k but at what percent i dont know

Old 06-07-2018, 01:04 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
....... Yeah, the new Cummins might make more power...the inline 6 will have a lot of trouble making the horsepower of the V8 diesels. ..... I wouldn’t be surprised at a 1000lb-ft Cummins but I would be surprised if it made 430HP.
Either you miss wrote or you do not understand torque and RPM and horsepower relationship. HP is torque x speed. The cummins is a lower revving motor than the powerstroke, always has been, always will be; this does not in any way mean it is less powerful. It just does the same work at a lower RPM, and all things being equal this is better.

1,000 ft lb of torque is nothing new, we were doing it 20 years ago with the 7.3 and 5.9 12 valve. The difference is full factory warranty at the power level, a difference that cannot be overstated for the average Joe customer.

I had a dodge back in the day and love the 12 valve 5.9, that is how a diesel should sound, period. On the other hand, the joke was then, the motor will last just the truck around it will not. It would seem a couple of decades in the future this has not changed. I'm still impressed by the body and interior fit and finish after 18 years of my Ford. I can literally buy any truck I want, and I still choose Ford.

https://www.iprocessmart.com/techsmart/formulas.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The new Cummins 6.7 liter in RAM HD