1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sent my dog home this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Sent my dog home this weekend

It's been a tough year in our household. Our latest was in January where Gus was given 1 to 3 months to live by the vet. We started him in steroids and hoped the vet was wrong.
Well, he wasn't. Last week he stopped eating and was really starting to struggle. Xrays confirmed his mass was getting larger. So Friday night we realized that it was too much for him.
Gus was a fantastic dog.
He loved snuggling with momma

Here he is arguing with my youngest on whose seat this actually is.

He sure loved lounging in bed

In the last 3 years, we have lost all three of our dogs. It never gets easy. Yes, we will get another dog before long. I'm going to make the girls wait until after July. We have some trips planned and shouldn't do that to a new pet.
My father in law is pushing for a Brittney. Brittney's are just bigger versions of my King Charles, although probably more active.

The house seems empty.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:20 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Here is a video of him begging for food. He loved biscuits and gravy and anything his mom was eating.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:44 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Some of my saddest memories and regrets in life, revolve around letting each dog that I ever loved and had to let go of. They are so loyal, loving, and always there no matter what. There wonderful lives are just too short. Take care I know it's hard.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:04 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your best friend Gus, they are amazing friends and will always be remembered. I will be Thinking about you.

We lost our Maizy last year in June. There is still an empty spot but she still gives us good memories.
Take care
Josh

Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think many of us here have gone through this many times in our lives and it never gets easier. But I will tell you that you are correct in getting backup on the horse and after an appropriate time to grieve, get another dog. But I would suggest that you look to your local shelter and rescue your next best friend.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 06-05-2018, 10:12 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Joe, you all indeed have had your fair share of issues this year. I’m so sorry for your loss. Pets end up being an intricate part of our families. After I had to put Ginger our 15 year old German Shepard down I said “No More”. It was just too hard to see an ole friend pass. For several years we were dogless but when Jan was diagnosed with cancer we thought she needed a companion. I’m already dreading the inevitable day Ginger 2.0 will need to be put down.

Ginger 2.0

Old 06-05-2018, 10:21 AM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
So very sorry for your loss. Its hard and never gets easier. We lost Max in August of 2012. Still miss him every day.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:59 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Sorry to hear about Gus...always tough losing a member of the family. We have a sweet Birman cat that is pushing 19 years and is slowing down a lot. It's the wife's baby so life will be tough around our household soon. I have lost a son and more than a few pets, losing a pet is right up there with the pain of the loss of a child. God bless...

Old 06-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
They are always part of and a close member of a family...….our hearts go out to use as tears are running down my face...………….. all of ours were either pound pups or dumps that came to live with us...……. we have been lucky as all have lived to be very, very old, but when they pass away young, there is a very good reason...…. but they will always be there with us in our minds and hearts forever, so they are never really gone...…….

Initially, we seem to focus on the most recent days with them, forgetting the rest, which then as time progresses, we then remember their whole lives and less on the few days...….

Old 06-05-2018, 02:13 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
So sorry to hear about your loss. I've done this several times with both dogs and cats, and it never gets easier. But take comfort that you gave your pup the best life they could have had.
I put my Tervuren, Frank, down in 2013, such a hard day. I still have his collar and tags hanging on the rearview mirror of my truck.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:16 PM
Granny1153
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe, so sorry about your loss. A dog is man's best friend indeed. They will stick beside us, when everyone else has gone there own direction. I too can relate to your loss, having to lose many through the course of life. Although he will probably be replaces with a new companion, his memories will always be there.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Thanks guys. They are something special. Gwen and I were discussing the dogs we have had over the years. Some pull at the heart strings more than others, but they are all wonderful companions.
It's hard to imagine loving the next dog like the last, but they all have a way of becoming part of you.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:25 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Tough news about Gus

Sorry to hear of your loss, we get so attached to our pets.

Our Rowdy died five years ago , leaving a big hole in our hearts. We talk of getting another but are delaying until we do a bit our long term travelling first.

Rowdy was always with me when I started my truck project, but never made it to having his first ride.

Time heals.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:48 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe I’m sorry for you and your family. It’s so hard to loose a loved pet. We had a horse that had to be put down and it hit me especially hard as this was my daughters competition horse. We were boarding it on a friends farm and his 6 year old was holding my hand. She tugged on it to get my attention and when I looked down at her she said “ Remember Mr Sweeney it’s better to have happen in the barn than in the house”. From the mouths of babes.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:04 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could there be any other more loyal and lovable than our dogs? I have always had dogs and always great ones who I loved and who loved me and the family. It is always a very sad time when they are ready to go. I have three buried here in our yard who were all great dogs. So sorry to hear about yours, it is a sad time when they are ready to go.

Quick Reply: Sent my dog home this weekend