1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sent my dog home this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 08:46 PM
Smitty49
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an Animal Lover, it's always hard for me to respond to posts of this kind but know Gus is chasing the Rainbow and will ever be in your heart with memories of happiness you enjoyed together! It will be hard for me to let my best friend leave but we'll forever enjoy our time together .
My sincere condolences !

Old 06-06-2018, 06:02 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 763 Likes on 373 Posts
Thanks guys. I love seeing pictures of other peoples fur people.
My girls are itching to get another dog. I want to wait just a bit. Our niece in Arkansas had a Papillon show up at her house. My daughter really wants to bring him home with us. My niece will be taking it to the vet to see if it is chipped and hopefully find his owner. It looks to be a pure breed, so someone must be missing him.
I have grown fond of spaniels, but I like all animals....

Old 06-06-2018, 07:55 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
The number 1 reason another Akita is not in the household any more is the pain when they leave is too great & lingers for months . I feel your pain . Remember your beloved pet is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge as our mine to be united one day . Gotta believe !!!

Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
We have always got our dogs from breeders and they have been pure breads. This time we went to a rescue center. It’s said to see all the unwanted animals. Jan saw a dog she thought she wanted on the internet there but after seeing the energy and yapping decided that wasn’t the dog for us. They gave us a tour of the place and the 45 or 50 dogs they had there mainly pit bulls or pit bull mixes. As we were leaving there was a plywood walled off cage that I just happened to look over and there was our new dog. Probably the best dog we’ve ever had. Was house broke, no chewing, loves people & kids and worries over Jan & I. Just a suggestion check your local pound for your next dog.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:55 AM
rbraughn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for your loss, unfortunately I know your pain.

I have woken up to find them passed, I have taken them to be put down, and I have witnessed one with cancer struggle for her last breath and was holding her while it happened, and no matter how they go, It is a very tough thing to deal with.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:18 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I'm never fond of buying from a breeder, although we have done it some. Gus was actually from a pound. A breeder was getting out of the business and sent Gus there.
In Missouri they have a puppies for parole program. Inmates get dogs and train them https://web.mo.gov/doc/PuppiesForParolePublic/
They work with area shelters to get the dogs and train them and the shelters help adopt them out.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by firstrider
The number 1 reason another Akita is not in the household any more is the pain when they leave is too great & lingers for months . I feel your pain . Remember your beloved pet is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge as our mine to be united one day . Gotta believe !!!
My daughter has some Shiba Inu dogs. They look like mini Akita's
It's a tough decision to bring another pet in the house. For us the companionship they provide outweighs the pain of losing them.
When we have had to have our dogs put down. The vet always asks if we want to be there. I feel it's my duty to be there and look them in the eyes as they go to sleep for the last time. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it, but it's the least I can do as we say goodbye.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:53 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With heartfelt sympathy

Old 06-06-2018, 03:58 PM
rbraughn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also I am freaking out a little bit and have to ask you....where are the girls legs in that picture? is she sitting cross legged or what? That is a weird optical illusion and she looks like she doesn't have any legs

Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rbraughn
Also I am freaking out a little bit and have to ask you....where are the girls legs in that picture? is she sitting cross legged or what? That is a weird optical illusion and she looks like she doesn't have any legs
Holy Smokes! I hadn't look at the picture like that. I had to study it a little while. I think her knee is under the blanket under he left forearm. She must be cross legged. She isn't too big at 5' and 90 lbs. That is kind of freaky now that I look at it.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:09 AM
rico56
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Hi Joe,
I'm very sorry for your loss! Such posts always makes me thinking of the day when our Labbie "Sunny" will leave us! I really hate that thought and I won't even start thinking of the mourning my wife and the two daughters will suffer! Man - why those pets can't get 100 years old...

My advice: get you a new dog but make sure he doesn't look exactly the same and has other manner as the old one! It's easier that way.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:49 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You might be surprised at some of the purebreds that are at your local shelter. We got our last two dogs from the same shelter.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 06-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Good thinking Rico. The girls are really pressing for a new dog. So, it will happen before long.
There are always lots of really good options at a shelter. If the owner of the found Papillon show up and we don't get him. We will begin the slow search of finding a shelter dog.

It's the little things that hit you. We had ham and fried potatoes for supper last night. As we were putting the leftovers in bags, Gwen left a bite size piece on the plate. As I was going to the trash with it, I stopped and realized I would have given that bite to Gus.....dang!