Moonroof Kaput - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Moonroof Kaput

Old 06-04-2018, 01:10 PM
Dockmaster1
Junior User
Dockmaster1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Moonroof Kaput

Looks like I'm another Moonroof victim. It made a pretty loud crack noise now it won't open and it is misaligned and will not close all the way. The driver's corner is lower by about 3/4" or so where the front and back panels come together. I have appt at dealer on Thursday. I'm guessing the track broke as others have experienced. I believe they have changed from a plastic track to metal one and do an upgrade when this happens. Is that correct?

Old 06-04-2018, 05:56 PM
BK39
Junior User
BK39 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm interested to see how this turns out for you. Mine cracked the other day trying to close it, it took me several tries to finally get it closed, now I'm afraid to open it. In fear it isn't going to shut again.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:30 PM
RONMCHUGH
Senior User
RONMCHUGH is starting off with a positive reputation.
!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2018, 08:34 PM
BillyE
Senior User
BillyE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BK39 View Post
I'm interested to see how this turns out for you. Mine cracked the other day trying to close it, it took me several tries to finally get it closed, now I'm afraid to open it. In fear it isn't going to shut again.
I have a friend in exactly the same situation. However, if itís under warranty now, itís best to get this reported before itís too late

Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 PM
1olddogtwo
Senior User
1olddogtwo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't get me wrong I love my Ford trucks, but I am so glad I got rid of my Platinum.

​​​​​

Old 06-04-2018, 09:12 PM
BowtieConvert
Senior User
BowtieConvert is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hopefully it's under warranty. The heat roof in my son's '17 did the same thing. His truck was purchased 11/30/16 but has 53k miles so it is out of warranty. The repair bill was about $550 but they discounted it 30-35% for him. I don't know if the new track is metal or not.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:17 PM
jackjude24
Junior User
jackjude24 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same thing happened to my truck just yesterday dealer will not see me till next Friday and thereís rain in the forecast everyday without a garage Iíve done my best to cover it and just hoping it wonít leak they should really recall these moonroofs too many complaints with them

Old 06-05-2018, 07:31 AM
kylant
Elder User
kylant is starting off with a positive reputation.
same with mine. I have another thread going. I was able get it closed. going in friday. it is not going to be fun

Old 06-05-2018, 07:47 AM
Wes Hightower
Senior User
Wes Hightower is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford would be well advised to make this a non opening roof. I haven't opened mine yet and am happy with just the letting the light come in.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:05 AM
StrikeForce
Senior User
StrikeForce is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Wes Hightower View Post
Ford would be well advised to make this a non opening roof. I haven't opened mine yet and am happy with just the letting the light come in.
That's what I have been doing with mine. These posts have me scared to death because each time I consider using the "back" button, its the day before a forecasted rain storm! So, ambiance and vent are the only things this moon roof will be used for. But, to be honest, I didn't really like the whistling sound while it was open anyways so its not really a bummer; I prefer vent mode anyways.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 AM
Dockmaster1
Junior User
I'll follow up once I get some news from the dealer. I assume I am covered under warranty but I guess we will see. My truck is 17 with 10k miles. I have the Ford extended Premiium Care warranty for 8 years or 150k miles so hopefully that covers it if base warranty does not.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Wes Hightower
Senior User
Wes Hightower is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by StrikeForce View Post
That's what I have been doing with mine. These posts have me scared to death because each time I consider using the "back" button, its the day before a forecasted rain storm! So, ambiance and vent are the only things this moon roof will be used for. But, to be honest, I didn't really like the whistling sound while it was open anyways so its not really a bummer; I prefer vent mode anyways.
Shows how much I know, there's a vent mode? All I've done is open the shade and love the hell out of the pano roof. Maybe I ought to read up on truck features but hell I only have 4K on it the first year.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:31 AM
StrikeForce
Senior User
StrikeForce is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Wes Hightower View Post
Shows how much I know, there's a vent mode? All I've done is open the shade and love the hell out of the pano roof. Maybe I ought to read up on truck features but hell I only have 4K on it the first year.
Yes, there is the open button and the close button. But there is a middle button. Press that with it closed and it just lifts up the window a few inches (then press the closed button to shut it). If you open that and the back window, its a nice little fresh air circulation going down the highway.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Dockmaster1
Junior User
Haven't forgotten to follow-up. I waited 8 days for an appt. at one of my area dealers only for the truck to sit on their lot without getting looked at. It is going to another dealer today. I will follow up once I have any info.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Dockmaster1
Junior User
Dealer says the track broke and has ordered replacement parts. I am scheduled to go back this Friday to have the replacement track installed. They say it will take about four hours to do the replacement. They also said this is the fourth truck they have seen in the last 30 days with same problem. I'm guessing this is due to weather change here in the Pacific NW and we are all opening our roofs for the first time since early last fall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.