Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The science of LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 03:02 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
I've hit the high beams at family, friends, and relatives before. I don't play favorites. If you're so selfish that you feel the need to see better at the expense of the vision of oncoming traffic, I'll call it like I see it. And I don't just give a friendly flash unless there's someone behind them. The offender either just gets high beams on until they dim theirs or I try to give them an epileptic seizure.

It's no different than the same cars I see day after day on my commute that have one burned-out low beam headlight and in lieu of changing the bulb the driver simply leaves the high beams on continuously as to not get caught with one headlight (when the cops decide to do something about it).

Old 06-05-2018, 03:07 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,440 Likes on 2,840 Posts
The other day I flashed a Sheriff deputy because he forgot to turn down his lights, it happens...

Old 06-05-2018, 04:09 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flashed a car a while back because of High beams. He flashed me back but his were RED!

Old 06-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Silverhks
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sous
The only real way to get an accurate beam with LED bulbs is with a projector. This means a quality retro fit or custom one off job.

Pointing them low or accurately will allow for other drivers to pass by without blinding them.

For those situations that a deer or game wish to throw themselves in front of my truck, I purchased a Ranch Hand grille guard for just under $600 shipped to the house by Amazon. The Ranch Hand may not stop a truck crippling hit, but it sure will help.
JW Speaker and Truckalite both make a 5x7 LED replacement that is accepted/legal even in a Semi. Whereas the HID retrofit and LEF bulbs will get you a ticket at a scale if they are noticed.

Originally Posted by Colorado350

I run Trucklites LED's, their cutoff rivals my buddies Audi A4. The light is a crisp white and with the way I have them adjusted I've never be flashed even when loaded with a trailer.
THIS. These are glorious and I am in the process of converting back to these from the "aero" lights

Originally Posted by cleatus12r
People here wonder why I so strongly protest peoples' threads regarding wiring their fog lights to be on all the time (technically very few vehicles actually come from the factory equipped with "driving lights" as the statutes governing their use and enabling criteria are way different than the "fog lights" with which most all vehicles are equipped these days).

New Dodge (fine, "RAM") pickups are the worst in my not-so-humble opinion. The FOG lights are brighter and aimed higher than the headlights (low beams as per motor vehicle statutes for "fog lights") so it does no good to flash those selfish morons......either deal with the damned fog lights (where's the fog anyway?) Or deal with their high beams.

Any more, those non-DOT approved "light bar" monstosities are my biggest peeve.....and the *******s that leave them on driving into oncoming traffic. Oh to be a law enforcement officer for a week.......
Amen, the problem with fog lights is their design. To keep from blinding you in fog they throw light above and below centerline, this works ok for other cars but gets progressively worse the higher you sit (think semi again). It also is very short ranged which brightens the foreground. Given the way your eye/brain works this actually DECREASES your distance perception.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:43 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Well, as long as you can see the next dash on the road in front of you, you know that you are still on it.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:20 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
This thread has nothing to do with headlight improvements, it is a not so thinly veiled way to bash people. Not much brotherhood there!
That's part of the thread title. Science isn't just beakers and electrodes - it's social science and anatomy as well. The discussion isn't one of "here's how LEDs work", it's more along the line of "Splashing oncoming traffic with blinding light is inconsiderate and unsafe, so here are a few alternatives/solutions".

Old 06-06-2018, 07:30 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I recently put LEDs in my new headlights and I just aimed them down a tad over the stock setup. Have yet to get flashed. They are bright though over my halogen. 6500k.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:12 AM
axmrdr
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck has a winch bumper which partially blocks the factory fog lights. I only use them during rainy nights to illuminate the reflective lines on the highway. Shopping for some LED flood lights to use instead of these. Will just abandon in place and tie the new ones in the wiring. They will be pointed downward to light up the road directly in front of the truck as the stock halogens do fine for lighting up the road ahead.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
"Splashing oncoming traffic with blinding light is inconsiderate and unsafe, so here are a few alternatives/solutions".
That would have been a more accurate title for sure, but it lacks the solution part. Just another thread so the same people can say the same things and scare anyone away who is looking for answers to their lighting problems. Lighting technology has made huge advances since 99-03. If properly done, you can drastically improve the inadequacies of the stock headlights while remaining respectful to other drivers. The solution would be to allow people to start threads about proper lighting solutions without being attacked and ridiculed for using the current advancements in LED technology.

What would really be great would be to have a manufacturer mass produce adjustable projector LED headlights that fit the 99-03 Ford trucks. But until that happens you have to custom build them from scratch for yourself. Please allow us to at least talk about how to do that without grouping us all together as nuisances and law breakers. Allow the treads to advance and evolve and real solutions realized, without personal attacks of the posters.

Thank you!

Old 06-06-2018, 09:28 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
That would have been a more accurate title for sure, but it lacks the solution part. Just another thread so the same people can say the same things and scare anyone away who is looking for answers to their lighting problems. Lighting technology has made huge advances since 99-03. If properly done, you can drastically improve the inadequacies of the stock headlights while remaining respectful to other drivers. The solution would be to allow people to start threads about proper lighting solutions without being attacked and ridiculed for using the current advancements in LED technology.

What would really be great would be to have a manufacturer mass produce adjustable projector LED headlights that fit the 99-03 Ford trucks. But until that happens you have to custom build them from scratch for yourself. Please allow us to at least talk about how to do that without grouping us all together as nuisances and law breakers. Allow the treads to advance and evolve and real solutions realized, without personal attacks of the posters.

Thank you!

Oddly enough, I think you're shooting the wrong messenger, Mike, by targeting your post as a response to Rich's. I've read through your mod thread and it appears that you've been responsible with what you've done and how you've gone about it and have had great results from the effort. So, there's no reason for you to be so defensive here. I've also gone back and carefully read through all of Rich's posts, and he has not quenched the discussion in this thread in any way, and has very casually allowed digressions and "development" without offering to correct anyone aside from pointing out that his intent was to include a review and discussion of responsible ways to solve the "typical" problem generated by those who have NOT been responsible in their lighting efforts.

Besides, there is nothing in this thread which scare me away from considering LED as a valid upgrade option, and both you and Colorado350 have offered some potentially great options for upgrading the headlights in a responsible and effective manner. Kudos to both of you!!

Old 06-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner

Thank you!
Not sure what lines you are reading between, but the message is getting lost somewhere in there for sure. The entire point of this thread is to find good, legal and safe ways of upgrading to LED/HID lighting.

Attacking is a big word, and if you feel that you were being attacked, well I hope you never really are in a situation where that is actually taking place.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:34 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Blame me.

I'm well aware that I lack a filter - especially for being as strongly opinionated as I am - but I have thick skin though and accept my blunt harshness in all things that I believe to be right.

​​​​​​​

Old 06-06-2018, 03:06 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Blame me.

I'm well aware that I lack a filter - especially for being as strongly opinionated as I am - but I have thick skin though and accept my blunt harshness in all things that I believe to be right.
We enjoy reading your responses. Much like you, we try to help people as well. We take posters to the side who are running HID’s and LED’s without projectors, and gently attempt to convince them to build there own custom headlights that usually perform better than their current non-projector lights, which are in conflict here, and extremely distracting to on-coming vehicles. We are trying to promote positive change, negativity only shuts people down and seems to make matters worse.

Thank you again for assisting us when we needed it after purchasing a messed up TS chip. We really appreciated that.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I guess I would be the one that first stated that a projector is required. Turns out I was wrong based on the facts and information that Colorado350 posted at the link below.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tes-led-s.html

I was unaware that there was a proper LED housing for our trucks that did not require a projector.

I apologize for stating wrong information as fact. I am wrong everyday, sometimes it is on FTE, most of the time it is in my garage though.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:44 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I am wrong everyday, sometimes it is on FTE, most of the time it is in my garage though.
Reps for making me smile!

Quick Reply: The science of LED headlights