Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The science of LED headlights

Old 06-07-2018, 06:30 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
My friend Mike, I never had intentions of poking you with a stick - I've been speaking in generalities here. I'm not sure where this thing went off the rails, but it's possible my original post was lost in the ether way up the list of other posts, so I'm doing a mini-reset.

Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
..."Splashing oncoming traffic with blinding light is inconsiderate and unsafe, so here are a few alternatives/solutions".
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford View Post
That would have been a more accurate title for sure, but it lacks the solution part....
...Responsible LED headlight bulb purveyors are now offering "Adjustable Beam" LED bulbs. This may sound like some fun feature we can tinker with from the cab, like one of the police search lights - but that's not what this is. You can now spend a little time with a tool on the bulb, adjusting the cut line to match the factory cut line. It's a little trial and error, but it certainly beats returning to halogen because you can't keep the other drivers from flashing you at night....
I found a set of 9007/HB5 bulbs (for our headlights) on Amazon that do just as I mentioned above. As a matter of fact, I found more than one style. I would guess that the faulty cut line was a growing concern, and the market has answered with many of the LED headlight bulb replacements today being adjustable. The DIYer is way more likely to make proper use of this feature.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge
Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Whitey Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
so I'm doing a mini-reset.
I will do the same!

Old 06-09-2018, 02:53 PM
truckeemtnfords
Posting Guru
truckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to behold
I want to know what John (Colorado350) did to **** off his wife/girlfriend that she gave him the double bird salute. I did not notice her the first time I looked at his lights but there she is in all her glory letting the birds fly.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:39 PM
Silverhks
Junior User
Silverhks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords View Post
I want to know what John (Colorado350) did to **** off his wife/girlfriend that she gave him the double bird salute. I did not notice her the first time I looked at his lights but there she is in all her glory letting the birds fly.
Haha, missed that entirely

Old 06-09-2018, 08:19 PM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
And I don't want it returned until we hear THAT story ...

Old 06-10-2018, 12:59 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
I didn't read every reply, and for that I apologize. But there has been an interesting change in LED bulb design that seems to have helped quite a bit. Older LED bulbs tended to have one or two big diodes on either side of the tower. (I'm calling it a tower to avoid the term shaft.) More recently they have moved to putting the diodes (usually several each for low and high beam) on the same side, but slighly offset. This more accurately mimics light projection from a halogen bulbs filiments.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:10 AM
HD Rider
Posting Guru
HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a great reputation on FTE.
I haven't read through all of this so forgive me if it's already been covered. Lights that are too bright might help you see but they blind and confuse the critters you are trying to avoid making them more likely to run out in front of you.
if I spot an animal near the road while running high beams, I immediately dim the lights so it can still see to.
Driving semi over the last 26 years, my number of deer strikes has gone way down since I figured this out.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:47 AM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by SaintITC View Post
And I don't want it returned until we hear THAT story ...
. Dave, Im a lucky man. Shes my GF of almost 5 years, and a Pediatric Nurse Practioner. She has an awesome sense of humor as you see
in the picture. We enjoy the same things, Jeeping, camping, Bowhunting (yes she hunts). She puts up with my work schedule and all the associated
BS that goes with it. A couple years ago I broke 3 ribs at work, she was there for me through the entire healing process. If you give her **** shell give it right back!
She actually has a Bear, Elk and a Deer tag on her. She can consistently group arrows inside a grapefruit at 60 yards!

Old 06-12-2018, 11:56 AM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
Im a lucky man. Shes my GF... She can consistently group arrows inside a grapefruit at 60 yards!
P*ss her off someday, and you might not feel quite so lucky!

Old 06-12-2018, 02:40 PM
truckeemtnfords
Posting Guru
truckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to beholdtruckeemtnfords is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Y2KW57 View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking. Good find. You got to love a woman who is willing to give it back when we need it, which is usually more times than not.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:43 PM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Y2KW57 View Post
Well, on the good side, unless you really p*ss her off, it wouldn't hurt much!

Old 06-13-2018, 07:50 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
My wife is officially qualified with firearms (Glock), and she once pulled a Robin Hood at 20 yards (with many witnesses from the bow club) - I behave myself. Neither of us can group that tight at 60 yards with pistols or bows.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:39 AM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.Colorado350 has a great reputation on FTE.
My wife is officially qualified with firearms (Glock), and she once pulled a Robin Hood at 20 yards (with many witnesses from the bow club) - I behave myself. Neither of us can group that tight at 60 yards with pistols or bows.
She had her first Robin Hood about 3 months ago at 25 yards while at Cheyenne Mtn Archery Range, she was ecstatic! Several shooters told her she had a Robin Hood but she didn't believe them at first LOL. . She's worked hard to shoot like she does, a big part is quality equipment too.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:39 AM
ArmyLifer
Senior User
ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.ArmyLifer has a great reputation on FTE.
I’ll continue the . My wife is an Olympic pistol shooter. I try my darndest to not **** her off. I’m not always successful, but so far she has shown great self control.