Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Ford Remote Start on 2018 XL

Old 06-02-2018, 08:38 PM
super_duty_532
Junior User
super_duty_532 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Installed Ford Remote Start on 2018 XL

Remote start is one of the things that I want and my 18 XL does not come with. So I researched quite a bit and read several previous threads on this. Looked at the 12v solution but decided to go factory. I didn't need the fancier remote access with cell phone that many are getting. Just the plain jane remote start with the factory fob. I want to put together a little summary so other folks can easily get the information in one place. Most the valuable references I read are in the following threads:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ote-start.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-start-2.html

Here are the steps:

1. Check if you have 'Hood Ajar'. Put the key in ON positions and open the hood. If cluster shows 'Hood Ajar' then you have it. My 18 XL has it.

2. Get the 2018 OEM Ford Security System w/ Remote Start. Part # JS7Z‑19A361‑A. I got mine from FairwayFordParts for $184 shipped.

3. When you receive the kit, plug the little jumper wire that came with kit in the security system unit.

4. Installation is very straight forward. Make sure the key is in OFF position. Locate the OBD port below the steering wheel. There is a male connector behind the OBD port. Unplug it. Plug the male connector into the female connector from the kit wiring harness. Then plug the male connector from the kit wiring harness into the port behind the OBD port. Plug the small connector from the kit wiring harness into the security system unit.

5. Cycle the key from OFF to ON then to OFF. This should activate the security system.

6. Activate remote start. You can do this at a dealership or by Forscan. I just used Forscan (first time user..).
If you use Forscan, first go to BdyCM Module configuration. Enable Remote Start and Remote Starter Parking Lights. Next go to IPC Module configuration. Enable remote start plus whatever other features are applicable to your truck. I only needed to enable Climate Control. You may also need to enable heated seat, heated steering wheel, defroster etc.if you have them on your truck and want to use them with remote start.

7. You should now see the remote start menu in the cluster. Verify the settings such as remote start durations, climate control auto/last setting etc.

8. You should now be able to use Lock-Unlock-Lock on the factory key fob to remote start the truck. Test it to make sure it works.

9. Zip tie the unit and wiring harness in a secure location. I zip tied my unit next to the big white plastic module behind the parking brake pedal.

10. That's it! Enjoy the remote start! You also get the extra security system but I'm not sure what that does.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:28 PM
PentaPop
Elder User
PentaPop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great step by step for those of us that are easily confused. Thanks! So after the truck is remote started, you just put the key in, turn it to the run position and drive away?

Old 06-04-2018, 07:16 AM
super_duty_532
Junior User
Originally Posted by PentaPop View Post
Great step by step for those of us that are easily confused. Thanks! So after the truck is remote started, you just put the key in, turn it to the run position and drive away?
Yes, that's it. It will shut off after the duration you set or you can do Lock-Unlock-Lock again to manually shut it off.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:25 AM
h20camper
Posting Guru
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How long after the Lock-Unlock-Lock routine until the truck starts. Is it consistent? How about the timing on the Lock-Unlock-Lock sequence between presses to initiate the remote start?

I ask because I have heard issues with some other products.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2018, 09:05 AM
super_duty_532
Junior User
Originally Posted by h20camper View Post
How long after the Lock-Unlock-Lock routine until the truck starts. Is it consistent? How about the timing on the Lock-Unlock-Lock sequence between presses to initiate the remote start?

I ask because I have heard issues with some other products.

Thanks
Just normal speed. I used to have factory remote start on my previous F150. I'm just pressing the Lock-Unlock-Lock in the same speed as I did on my F150 key fob. It works every time I tried so far. Truck will start without much delay (maybe 1 sec?). Everything feels exactly like the factory remote start on my F150 except I press Lock-2X-2X on that one. I will report back if things become inconsistent but I doubt it.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:16 AM
BlankSpace
Junior User
BlankSpace is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tag for later.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:25 AM
TXSD6.2
Senior User
TXSD6.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great info, thanks.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:25 AM
TXSD6.2
Senior User
TXSD6.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you for the great info.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:43 PM
h20camper
Posting Guru
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Man that was a very easy install and works great! Got it with eBay's 20% off everything coupon too.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:18 PM
super_duty_532
Junior User
Man that was a very easy install and works great! Got it with eBay's 20% off everything coupon too.
Glad it worked out for you. Ford should have made it a standard feature for lower trims imo.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:50 PM
acelefty
Junior User
acelefty is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you install that on a 2017? I want to install it on my 2017 but it looks like, officially, only 2018 and up are supported.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:50 PM
h20camper
Posting Guru
Yup, mine is a '17. Worked perfectly.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:16 AM
NorEasterMA
The Lighting Guy
NorEasterMA has a very good reputation on FTE.NorEasterMA has a very good reputation on FTE.NorEasterMA has a very good reputation on FTE.
This is a great write-up! I'm in the process of helping a buddy install this on his '18 F450 XL. One of his mechanics installed the module up under the dash last week (don't know if he learned the module to the truck with the key cycling) but this morning when I came in to do the FORScan changes, after enabling the settings in both the BCM and IPC, the truck is not responding to the lock-unlock-lock command. So it isn't starting with the OEM keyfob as it should. I also noticed that the mechanic didn't install the jumper wire as mentioned in this original post. The truck has been driven many times since the module was installed. I guess I have 2 questions. If the mechanic didn't do the key cycle and learn the module to the truck, can that be redone? Unplug the module, plug it back in, and relearn it? And if he DID, will the lack of jumper wire keep the truck from starting? Trying to troubleshoot this!

Thanks to all!

Old 07-02-2018, 07:28 AM
super_duty_532
Junior User
Originally Posted by NorEasterMA View Post
This is a great write-up! I'm in the process of helping a buddy install this on his '18 F450 XL. One of his mechanics installed the module up under the dash last week (don't know if he learned the module to the truck with the key cycling) but this morning when I came in to do the FORScan changes, after enabling the settings in both the BCM and IPC, the truck is not responding to the lock-unlock-lock command. So it isn't starting with the OEM keyfob as it should. I also noticed that the mechanic didn't install the jumper wire as mentioned in this original post. The truck has been driven many times since the module was installed. I guess I have 2 questions. If the mechanic didn't do the key cycle and learn the module to the truck, can that be redone? Unplug the module, plug it back in, and relearn it? And if he DID, will the lack of jumper wire keep the truck from starting? Trying to troubleshoot this!

Thanks to all!
As far as I understand, yes, truck will not remote start without the jumper wire. I think you can first remove the module and plug the jumper wire in. See if it works.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:52 AM
Truckie256
Elder User
Truckie256 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tag for future use

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed Ford Remote Start on 2018 XL

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.