Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Ford Remote Start on 2018 XL

Old 10-22-2018, 09:01 AM
Fordsareking
New User
Fordsareking is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by super_duty_532 View Post
Remote start is one of the things that I want and my 18 XL does not come with. So I researched quite a bit and read several previous threads on this. Looked at the 12v solution but decided to go factory. I didn't need the fancier remote access with cell phone that many are getting. Just the plain jane remote start with the factory fob. I want to put together a little summary so other folks can easily get the information in one place. Most the valuable references I read are in the following threads:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ote-start.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-start-2.html

Here are the steps:

1. Check if you have 'Hood Ajar'. Put the key in ON positions and open the hood. If cluster shows 'Hood Ajar' then you have it. My 18 XL has it.

2. Get the 2018 OEM Ford Security System w/ Remote Start. Part # JS7Z‑19A361‑A. I got mine from FairwayFordParts for $184 shipped.

3. When you receive the kit, plug the little jumper wire that came with kit in the security system unit.

4. Installation is very straight forward. Make sure the key is in OFF position. Locate the OBD port below the steering wheel. There is a male connector behind the OBD port. Unplug it. Plug the male connector into the female connector from the kit wiring harness. Then plug the male connector from the kit wiring harness into the port behind the OBD port. Plug the small connector from the kit wiring harness into the security system unit.

5. Cycle the key from OFF to ON then to OFF. This should activate the security system.

6. Activate remote start. You can do this at a dealership or by Forscan. I just used Forscan (first time user..).
If you use Forscan, first go to BdyCM Module configuration. Enable Remote Start and Remote Starter Parking Lights. Next go to IPC Module configuration. Enable remote start plus whatever other features are applicable to your truck. I only needed to enable Climate Control. You may also need to enable heated seat, heated steering wheel, defroster etc.if you have them on your truck and want to use them with remote start.

7. You should now see the remote start menu in the cluster. Verify the settings such as remote start durations, climate control auto/last setting etc.

8. You should now be able to use Lock-Unlock-Lock on the factory key fob to remote start the truck. Test it to make sure it works.

9. Zip tie the unit and wiring harness in a secure location. I zip tied my unit next to the big white plastic module behind the parking brake pedal.

10. That's it! Enjoy the remote start! You also get the extra security system but I'm not sure what that does.
Thanks for your post. Just ordered part from fairway ford,$169.24 with free shipping and arrived in 2 days. Install was a breeze. Installed on 2017 f250 XLT Crew cab

Old 11-08-2018, 06:23 AM
robeyster
New User
robeyster is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought this kit and installed it on my 2017 f-350 6.7liter and everything works great and was an easy install. My question is I see that there is no pause after hitting lock the second time before the truck starts. I'm wondering if this will cause a problem with not letting the glow plugs warm up before starting. Usually when i get in to start I turn the key wait for the glow plug symbol to go off then start the truck maybe 3 seconds.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:54 AM
RPFB
Senior User
RPFB is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by robeyster View Post
I bought this kit and installed it on my 2017 f-350 6.7liter and everything works great and was an easy install. My question is I see that there is no pause after hitting lock the second time before the truck starts. I'm wondering if this will cause a problem with not letting the glow plugs warm up before starting. Usually when i get in to start I turn the key wait for the glow plug symbol to go off then start the truck maybe 3 seconds.
Most likely works like the trucks with push-button start. The PCM will control the glow plugs and crank it when it determines it is OK to start.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 AM
adgjqetuo
Junior User
adgjqetuo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I saw on fairwayfordparts.net there is an option for a one way or two way remote. If I select two way remote does this mean they will ship out with an OEM remote with the two way LED like you would get from the factory (lock, RS, RS)?

Old 11-19-2018, 05:32 AM
potato potato
Junior User
potato potato is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking for some help. I installed the VSS module as detailed in the original post. I activated remote start through the BCM along with climate control settings in the iPC. The lock-unlock-lock sequence does not engage remote start. Any ideas on what else I should change/check? I verified the hood open warning.

2017 F250 6.2L XLT with SYNC 1

Edit: I forgot to plug in the jumper wire, assuming that is my issue

Old 12-11-2018, 05:59 PM
jbrianas
Senior User
jbrianas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi guys little help,
went down to local ford dealer today,
asked about adding the remote start on my 2018, and specifically
the oem version as discussed in this thread.
well they looked at me like I had ten heads and tried to sell
me an aftermarket unit- I declined. I then asked if I bought and plugged in the oem
module myself , if they could activate in the truck computer. They said they
know nothing about this and have no one their that can do that, and suggested
i try another dealer.

in retrospect, their advice to go elsewhere was probably pretty solid.

so anyhow, if I buy and install the part , how do I find someone
with this forscan device I read about in this thread , to activate it?
or do I need to keep checking with other ford dealers ?

thanks,

Old 12-12-2018, 08:54 AM
67_4_ME
Senior User
67_4_ME is starting off with a positive reputation.
Make sure when you ask about the remote start, you ask for an alarm that has a side benefit of remote start. This may help your dealer, but maybe not.
Good luck!

Old 12-13-2018, 08:23 AM
spongecop
Semper Fi
spongecop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by super_duty_532 View Post
Remote start is one of the things that I want and my 18 XL does not come with. So I researched quite a bit and read several previous threads on this. Looked at the 12v solution but decided to go factory. I didn't need the fancier remote access with cell phone that many are getting. Just the plain jane remote start with the factory fob. I want to put together a little summary so other folks can easily get the information in one place. Most the valuable references I read are in the following threads:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ote-start.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-start-2.html

Here are the steps:

1. Check if you have 'Hood Ajar'. Put the key in ON positions and open the hood. If cluster shows 'Hood Ajar' then you have it. My 18 XL has it.

2. Get the 2018 OEM Ford Security System w/ Remote Start. Part # JS7Z‑19A361‑A. I got mine from FairwayFordParts for $184 shipped.

3. When you receive the kit, plug the little jumper wire that came with kit in the security system unit.

4. Installation is very straight forward. Make sure the key is in OFF position. Locate the OBD port below the steering wheel. There is a male connector behind the OBD port. Unplug it. Plug the male connector into the female connector from the kit wiring harness. Then plug the male connector from the kit wiring harness into the port behind the OBD port. Plug the small connector from the kit wiring harness into the security system unit.

5. Cycle the key from OFF to ON then to OFF. This should activate the security system.

6. Activate remote start. You can do this at a dealership or by Forscan. I just used Forscan (first time user..).
If you use Forscan, first go to BdyCM Module configuration. Enable Remote Start and Remote Starter Parking Lights. Next go to IPC Module configuration. Enable remote start plus whatever other features are applicable to your truck. I only needed to enable Climate Control. You may also need to enable heated seat, heated steering wheel, defroster etc.if you have them on your truck and want to use them with remote start.

7. You should now see the remote start menu in the cluster. Verify the settings such as remote start durations, climate control auto/last setting etc.

8. You should now be able to use Lock-Unlock-Lock on the factory key fob to remote start the truck. Test it to make sure it works.

9. Zip tie the unit and wiring harness in a secure location. I zip tied my unit next to the big white plastic module behind the parking brake pedal.

10. That's it! Enjoy the remote start! You also get the extra security system but I'm not sure what that does.

New to the Forscan world...does the standard license allow you to change the BdyCm and IPC settings or do you need the extended license?

Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 AM
h20camper
Posting Guru
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You need Extended License. Its free.....

https://forscan.org/comparsion.html

Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 AM
spongecop
Semper Fi
ok, thanks.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:34 AM
jbrianas
Senior User
re

well I searched some more , looks like I need to get/ do the forscan device on my own not at a shop,
I have a windows 7 laptop I could try it on,
is this the correct adapter to use?
Amazon Amazon

thanks for the help

Old 12-14-2018, 11:20 AM
h20camper
Posting Guru
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'd recommend this one.

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B006NZTZLQ

Old 12-14-2018, 11:59 AM
jbrianas
Senior User
Hi, h20, there is no usb with the one you linked, is the one I linked the correct one for usb? Thanks

Old 12-19-2018, 04:36 PM
jbrianas
Senior User

Well I went ahead and ordered the parts and did it myself,

worked out just fine, got the module part at fairway ford 169.

and got the $15 usb module from amazon that I linked .
followed instructions in this post and a post on for scan.

theres a few steps in forescan that I figured out in my own,
that was the only gray area, though if I fumbled my way thru it
im sure any one could lol.

thanks to all contributors and thread starters!

Old 12-24-2018, 04:21 PM
spongecop
Semper Fi
ok, forscan gurus. I installed the ford module as listed above, however, when i plug in and run forscan i am not getting an option for IPC module. I got the BdyCm and made those changes and remote start works. I just cant get it to come up on the dash to adjust the settings. Have tried the switch both ways on OBD2 connector...only my getting a few modules...any thoughts on why?

edit: i figured it out. Forscan had saved my incomplete scan as the profile. deleted profile and rescanned it worked.

Merry Christmas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed Ford Remote Start on 2018 XL

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.