Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Blown cylinder, the rest not so great. Need advice

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown cylinder, the rest not so great. Need advice

Old 09-27-2018, 02:59 PM
FordTruckNoob
A Prairie Home PSD
FordTruckNoob has a good reputation on FTE.FordTruckNoob has a good reputation on FTE.FordTruckNoob has a good reputation on FTE.
More pictures.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:23 PM
Dan Beckvall
New User
Dan Beckvall is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob View Post
After spending almost the entire summer in the garage, my truck is finally back up and running. I decided to ship the engine off to Swamps Diesel to have them rebuild it for me. That decision came about for the following reasons:

1. I had no access to the kind of machine shop locally that could do all the things they could.
2. They had a proven combination of rebuild parts that would have taken me an entire summer of research to possibly come up with as good a combo.
3. I use my truck to support my business so it needed to be back up and running fast. One could argue that spending an entire summer at a standstill isn't fast but that is still faster than what I could have managed rebuilding it myself.
4. They broke the engine in on a dyno for me.

So this is what they did to my engine:
Manley billet rods
Mahle pistons, ceramic coated
ARP head studs
Firerings and associated machining of heads and block
All new valves, valve guides and high rate valve springs
Stage 1 3/8" oil-thru pushrods
Melling high volume LPOP
Mahle lifters
Billet dipstick boss welded to pan
ARP main studs
Block and crank machined, honed and magnafluxed.
Bunch of other stuff with dollar signs attached

I also took the opportunity to clean the heck out of the engine compartment, brush and POR15 all rusty surfaces, eliminate all the fuel line quick disconnects with proper JIC 37 deg fittings, eliminate the midships flexible fuel supply line, flush the gunk out of the AC evap coil, fab and install what I hope is a more effective heatshield between the AC and the engine, replace all the worn pigtails on the engine harness, modify my aero headlight housings to take 7x6" sealed beam LEDs and sneak set of Stage 3 injectors past the wife as part of the blown engine troubleshooting.

The truck has been running smoothly for the last two weeks. My thanks to Swamps for a job well done.
FordTruckNoob, I live just south of you (used to live in Minnetonka) and am in a similar sistuation. Would you mind sharing a ballpark as to how much it cost to have them rebuild it like that?

Old 06-27-2019, 05:52 PM
FordTruckNoob
A Prairie Home PSD
FordTruckNoob has a good reputation on FTE.FordTruckNoob has a good reputation on FTE.FordTruckNoob has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Dan Beckvall
FordTruckNoob, I live just south of you (used to live in Minnetonka) and am in a similar sistuation. Would you mind sharing a ballpark as to how much it cost to have them rebuild it like that?
It came to just under $16k.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:15 AM
Tim Hodgson
Learning slowly...
Tim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to beholdTim Hodgson is a splendid one to behold
Seems like a reasonable expense to me. Especially since you already upgraded to a BTS transmission. And especially since the expense is likely deductable as a IRC 179 expense to you based on the truck's use in your trade or business. And especially since you have already acquired a mindful of knowledge about the 7.3L, about your truck, and about the capabilities of your truck as you use it in your particular trade or business.

Thanks for posting this thread. Wish me luck that I have a valve stem leak(s) in mine...

Old 07-10-2019, 04:57 AM
FordTruckNoob
A Prairie Home PSD
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Seems like a reasonable expense to me. Especially since you already upgraded to a BTS transmission. And especially since the expense is likely deductable as a IRC 179 expense to you based on the truck's use in your trade or business. And especially since you have already acquired a mindful of knowledge about the 7.3L, about your truck, and about the capabilities of your truck as you use it in your particular trade or business.

Thanks for posting this thread. Wish me luck that I have a valve stem leak(s) in mine...
Thanks. I decided to spend that money because I want to keep this truck for the rest of my life. The newer models hold no attraction for me. I figured I might as well bulletproof the engine while it had to be removed from the truck.

Sorry to hear about your issues with yours. Good luck with your repairs. Keep us posted on what you find please.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:32 AM
Brandonpdx
Senior User
Brandonpdx is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is still a bunch cheaper than buying a new truck and signing up for payments that seemingly never end.

I wonder what actually caused the hole in that piston. I do see the stress cracks on #4 so am guessing it was just a tired part that gave up. Probably could have just put new pistons and rings in it if you'd wanted to do it cheap, as long as the cylinder walls and the rest of the rotating assembly still looked okay. Might not have been the tightest rebuild as far as blowby and oil consumption but it probably would have worked. Did the heads and valves look okay to reuse?

Old 07-10-2019, 02:43 PM
FordTruckNoob
A Prairie Home PSD
Originally Posted by Brandonpdx
That is still a bunch cheaper than buying a new truck and signing up for payments that seemingly never end.

I wonder what actually caused the hole in that piston. I do see the stress cracks on #4 so am guessing it was just a tired part that gave up. Probably could have just put new pistons and rings in it if you'd wanted to do it cheap, as long as the cylinder walls and the rest of the rotating assembly still looked okay. Might not have been the tightest rebuild as far as blowby and oil consumption but it probably would have worked. Did the heads and valves look okay to reuse?
That is very true. I can't believe how much the newer trucks go for these days.

The truck showed signs of many go-fast bits removed when I bought it used. I suspect the previous owner had been running it pretty hard. In some ways, I think I was lucky that it was a hole in the piston and not a failed piston ring. That would have scored the heck out of the cylinder and trashed the block. I had considered going the cheap route but the thought of having the truck down for another summer was too much to bear. The heads were okay but the valves had to be replaced.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:32 PM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
How many miles on the heads?

Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 PM
FordTruckNoob
A Prairie Home PSD
Originally Posted by Dan V
How many miles on the heads?
338,586 miles. All valve guides, valves, valve springs, etc etc got replaced in the rebuild.