1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How do I remove my rear wheel bearings?

Old 09-19-2003, 11:06 PM
Janay55
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I remove my rear wheel bearings?

I have a 1950 Ford F-1 truck. When I pulled the axel I noticed the bearings look broken. Does anyone know how I can remove the rear bearings myself without having to take this problem to a shop. I am starting to become discouraged with this project. Thanks Janay

Old 09-19-2003, 11:32 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts

How do the bearings look broken exactly?

The bearing should come out with the axle shaft. It might be a roller bearing or ball bearing - I'm not sure about '50's. The shoulder of the bearing is a press fit on the axle shaft. A press is needed to replace them. The outer race of the bearing should be a snug fit in the axle housing. Buy a new bearing and you can compare what the old one should look like. You'll be able to tell if you got everything out of the housing.

Does this make sense?

Do yourself a favor and take it to a shop to have the bearing pressed off and the new one pressed on - takes 5 minutes and is worth the cost. You can take the old one off - hammer or drill and chisel, but the hardened race pieces will explode and rattle around the garage.

Don't get discouraged with your project - that's what WE"RE here for!! You can do it. This is just a bump along the highway to cruising in style......... By the time you're done you can take one of these trucks apart in your sleep - but if you're like George or John it'll take longer to put it back together, right guys?

Old 09-19-2003, 11:58 PM
atticmole
Senior User

Welcome to FTE. I can't help with the bearing question, but I do want to encourage you to hang in there. The knowledge you can get here will get you through it, and the satisfaction of doing it, is worth it in the end. And your truck will be that much more your own when done.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:03 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I rebuilt my whole rear end with out a press. To get the axle bearings off you need a 4" grinder with cutting disc, dremel with cuttting disc, hammer, chishel, punch. Use the chisel to cut a grove in the outer locking ring and hit it away from the bearing it should just come off. Use the 4 grinder to cut the bearing in two places one one each side to remove the top section. Now use the dremel to make a thin slice 90% through the collar. Hit the crack with the chisel which will crack it and it'll pull off. To put the new one on use the punch to slide it on ONLY hitting the collar and tap the new retainer beside the bearing. When grinding it helps to tie the cover sheild to the axle hub to keep it out off the way. MAKE SURE that the cover is on before the new bearing gets put on.

This is my 1000th post!

Old 09-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I second Larry's welcome and encouragement. A lot of these things seem pretty intimidating and even endless. Hang in there and let us know about the troubles you have. We can't always fix a $100 problem for only $10, but there is often a way to get the job done right within your budget. In addition, you know you have folks here who will get you the information and help build your confidence so you can tackle tougher and tougher problems all on your own.

Just so you have a good idea of how everything goes together, here's an illustration of the parts you are working on. Part 1225 in the illustration is the bearing, 1180 is a grease retaining washer, and 1177 is the seal. The outer bearing race fits into the axle housing (4010), and the inner race fits on the larger diameter section of the axle near the hub. Normally, the two races plus the ball bearings in between are a single unit and are packed with wheel bearing grease. Is one of your races cracked? Has the whole bearing come apart (it happens)? Fire off some more info and we'll help you out.

Old 09-23-2003, 11:49 AM
BobJonesSpecial
Senior User

BE VERY CAREFULL WHEN REMOVING THOSE BEARINGS. AS SOMEONE IN A PREVIOUS POST MENTIONED THEY CAN
E-X-P-L-O-D-E !!!!

Not just rattle around the shop, but poke holes in your smiling little face and eyes!

Take it to a shop That has a press. Even some car parts stores have a press, and if you buy the new bearings fron them they will press them off and on for you. The ONLY way to install them is with a press so you might as well get it done all in one trip

If you tried to hammer them on yourself, you would probably ruin the new bearings. Why risk it?

Good luck, and BE SAFE.

BobJonesSpecial

Search this Thread