Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1954 F100 Won't Start Anymore

Old 08-11-2018, 09:42 AM
Cris Molina
New User
Cris Molina is starting off with a positive reputation.
I finally checked the battery. It was reading 6.3V and only dropped about 5.3V. Cables are all clean and connected. Wasnít sure if that was a big enough drop
because it still has a slow turn. Thanks for any advice!

Old 03-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Cris Molina
New User
Still No Spark

Winter is going away and Iím back to getting my truck started again!

Iím still stuck with not getting any fire from the starter coil to the distributor.

Starter coil and battery all good and new.

Tried hot wiring to the battery, no spark.

Could it be the starter? Thanks!

Old 03-09-2019, 02:24 PM
hooler1
Elder User
hooler1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Cris Molina View Post
Winter is going away and Iím back to getting my truck started again!

Iím still stuck with not getting any fire from the starter coil to the distributor.

Hi Cris,
When you mention "starter coil" are you referring to the starter relay (solenoid) on the firewall not working thus no crank?
Or are you referring to not getting any spark, from the ignition coil to the distributor?

Old 03-09-2019, 02:36 PM
hooler1
Elder User
hooler1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Cris,

Here was some great troubleshooting information posted by Dave (FuzzFace2) from above. This is just part of it, you might want to go back and re-read his entire post. Look at these things as it sounds like your problem maybe inside your distributor.

Now for spark. With the key turned on to run, using a test light see if you have power (6 volts) at the coil on the + side. If no power to the coil + side you need to find out why and fix it.
For testing only and can run a "hot wire" from the battery + to the coil + side.
The coil - side goes to the points. Are the points new and gapped right? Sometimes from setting the points get a film on them so may be run points file or fine sand paper thru them.
Now with the test light hooked to 6 volts and the other side to the coil - side when the points are closed the light should light, if not you need to fix this. Maybe the points plate ground wire is not hooked up or missing?
If the points are open the light will not light. It is the opening & closing of the points that lets the coil build up spark and let it fire when needed.
So with the test light to ground and on the coil + side or to 6 volts and the coil - side when cranking the motor over the test light should flash and if all is good should have spark.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Brian1950F4
Senior User
Brian1950F4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Brian1950F4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Many battery chargers have a 6 volt setting. It may help to have that hooked to your battery to give it a little more boost. That being said, the problem in my 50 was a little wire in the distributor was bad. My truck started after that after sitting 28 years.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:10 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Winter is going away and I’m back to getting my truck started again!

I’m still stuck with not getting any fire from the starter coil to the distributor.

Is the starter cranking the engine? If so then it is not likely to be the starter. Here are some possibilities in order of likelihood:
  1. Points not set correctly
  2. Condenser is bad
  3. Coil is bad
  4. Short in feed wire inside the distributor
Remember that your truck originally had a positive ground. What does it have now?

Old 03-24-2019, 11:25 AM
Cris Molina
New User
Ok, did a light test all the way to distributor, all good. Noticed the wire in the picture ( I assume itís the point plate ground wire) was not connected. Where do I attach it?

Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Ok, did a light test all the way to distributor, all good. Noticed the wire in the picture ( I assume itís the point plate ground wire) was not connected. Where do I attach it?
It connects to a screw inside the distributor. That wire should be a flexible woven design with no insulation.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:35 PM
Cris Molina
New User
Thanks Pete,

Apparently that has been the issue the entire time. Thereís now fire all way to the spark plugs! Just need to adjust the points to see if we can get it started.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:12 AM
JimG1098
Posting Guru
JimG1098 is a name known to allJimG1098 is a name known to allJimG1098 is a name known to allJimG1098 is a name known to allJimG1098 is a name known to allJimG1098 is a name known to all
I enjoy reading these troubleshooting progressions. It is the thrill of our hobby to get it resolved