2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

IF you're on the fence on Diesel vs. gasser...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 10:24 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
IF you're on the fence on Diesel vs. gasser...

Seen a number of threads on diesel vs gas and which one to get. If you're on the fence Enterprise Truck rental does rent super duty crew cabs. Since our 350 CC PSD is not in yet, we had to rent for memorial day. We rented a XLT 250 CCLB PSD to tow our TT about 3.5 hours over two passes (Snoqualmie and Blewitt). I estimate we were somewhere around 8000 lbs on the trailer (loaded the tanks too). For me I'd already made my decision on the diesel, so it just reaffirmed it.

I can say that it was the easiest tow I've ever done. Quiet, effortless, I could talk to the kids in the back and basically one hand on the wheel. At one point climbing Snoqualmie, I looked down and was doing 75mph. You really don't notice the speed, especially if you're use to towing with a gasser like I use to before. I don't think I broke 1800 RPMs climbing either pass. Even my wife finally had to admit that spending the extra money was a good decision just for cab comfort. However, I am glad we didn't rent before we ordered because she thought the XLT seats were super comfortable, so she would have forced me into an XLT

I believe Enterprise also rents the gas version and it is right around $100 a day. So, if you're on the fence and have one close, I highly recommend spending a day with one.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:34 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
For sure a good way to compare. I have been hooked since 2005 on diesels when I test drove my new 2005 Lariat diesel. My 2017 is EVEN better. I got a Lariat ultimate so the passenger seat is 9 way adjustable. It’s all about the towing experience for the family and me. We do 2-3 800 km trips each year, 4-5 250 Km trips towing a year, this year in addition, a 1500 km one way to visit relatives.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:59 AM
Iraqvet05
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, Enterprise does rent the Super Duty gasser...my truck is a used rental and I have had zero issues with it so far. Renting a truck to test tow something would be a great way to help in your decision process.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:55 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I’ll add my two cents.Ive owned diesels since 02 and I was really serious about buying a 6.2 with 4.30’s.The test drives that dealers do are plain stupid....One mile test drives out by me,Come on.Anyway I was really worried I wouldn’t be happy with the gasser so I had booked a 2018 gasser rental for a day and I was going to just pull my trailer around all day.For $65 I thought it was a great idea.Long story short I just ended up test driving a gasser and diesel back to back and told them I wanted a highway run with city side streets and all.The minute I took the diesel out I knew That was the one I was buying.The gasser did fine but the diesel was unbelievable.Now with the new Truck and 600 miles the risk buying a new diesel has no comparison to the reward!Its far worth it the smile it puts on your face.In short,I believe renting one or the other is a great idea to just spend a day and $65 or so dollars to help make your decision.A lot better than a $50K regret....

Old 05-26-2018, 03:04 PM
chickfisher69
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a great idea renting and towing. It would have saved me 9k. Had a 2010 f350 than got the idea that I needed a gas truck and it would be fine wife agreed.ordered a 2016 f250 gas. After one year had had enough of the loud engine and loss in power . She with out me knowing called are dealer and had a platinum waiting when I got there. The ride the power and the mpg is well worth the money.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:23 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I just bought a 17 f250 Gasser...that was an Enterprise rental..19,000 miles and really clean got it for $33k
i used to have 2 -6.7...loved the power..hated the repair bills after warranty...and the stuff breaking was not covered under power train or emmissions...after week after week of $800, $1000, $1200. Repair bills at just over 50,000 miles and no extended warranty .they traded in...

If I ever go Diesel again it will have full coverage for as long and max miles... Plus the $10000 water in fuel repair risk that is not covered.. and car insurance doesn't always step up...too big of an exposure for such a high dollar truck... U have been warned
Rant over...thanks

Old 05-26-2018, 03:42 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Truckie256
I just bought a 17 f250 Gasser...that was an Enterprise rental..19,000 miles and really clean got it for $33k
i used to have 2 -6.7...loved the power..hated the repair bills after warranty...and the stuff breaking was not covered under power train or emmissions...after week after week of $800, $1000, $1200. Repair bills at just over 50,000 miles and no extended warranty .they traded in...

If I ever go Diesel again it will have full coverage for as long and max miles... Plus the $10000 water in fuel repair risk that is not covered.. and car insurance doesn't always step up...too big of an exposure for such a high dollar truck... U have been warned
Rant over...thanks
sorry to to hear about your troubles.

But Like I said,The miles of smiles far outweigh the potential for Catastrophic failure.And remember,You only live once and it could be over tomorrow....

Old 05-26-2018, 04:04 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nico963
I’ll add my two cents.Ive owned diesels since 02 and I was really serious about buying a 6.2 with 4.30’s.The test drives that dealers do are plain stupid....One mile test drives out by me,Come on.Anyway I was really worried I wouldn’t be happy with the gasser so I had booked a 2018 gasser rental for a day and I was going to just pull my trailer around all day.For $65 I thought it was a great idea.Long story short I just ended up test driving a gasser and diesel back to back and told them I wanted a highway run with city side streets and all.The minute I took the diesel out I knew That was the one I was buying.The gasser did fine but the diesel was unbelievable.Now with the new Truck and 600 miles the risk buying a new diesel has no comparison to the reward!Its far worth it the smile it puts on your face.In short,I believe renting one or the other is a great idea to just spend a day and $65 or so dollars to help make your decision.A lot better than a $50K regret....
I have been towing with both gas and diesel motors for 25 years now. I liked my gassers, they were good vehicles. I liked the simplicity and ease of maintenance. My first diesel was an '01 E350 Clubwagon Chateau 7.3. It was great and I was forever hooked. Next tow vehicle was an '07 F350 6.0. Loved the way it towed. Yes, there were issues but I did the pro-active stuff and it was provided great service.

When shopping new trucks last fall I looked at the options and test drove the 6.2. Great truck, great motor. And I will be very interested in driving a new truck with the new 7X motor. And I should note that the 6.2 is fully capable of pulling most anything I would want to tow with my F250 but you really can't compare the two back to back. The 6.7 is so much better in every way.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:19 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
I was just looking at brand new 2018 f250’s an hour ago. They had two 2018 crew cab 4x4’s with 6.2 for 38k and five 4x4 crews with the 6.7 ranging from 44k to 46k. These were not fancy trucks, plain wheels and standard pw pl etc but I thought that was an awesome price. They had a couple of xlt models for 50-55 and a platinum for 72k.
If the wifey wasn’t getting a new Toyota 4runner soon, I’d ****** up one of those 45k 6.7’s!

Old 05-26-2018, 05:08 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by nico963

sorry to to hear about your troubles.

But Like I said,The miles of smiles far outweigh the potential for Catastrophic failure.And remember,You only live once and it could be over tomorrow....
Tell me about it... I have been dead and brought back. 8 times now... I am the guy everyone wants to be with at a house fire...take a licking and keep on tickin

Old 05-26-2018, 05:34 PM
Yoteman
Senior User
Tell me about it... I have been dead and brought back. 8 times now... I am the guy everyone wants to be with at a house fire...take a licking and keep on tickin
if you’ve been unlucky/careless enough to die 8 times, I wouldn’t want to be within 100 feet of you!

Ive lived a much more dangerous life than most fellers do and have managed to not bite the bullet even once. Lol Although one time fighting a massive church fire, I did have the entire roof fall in seconds after I walked out.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:34 PM
cdnfireman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your experiences are nothing to brag about...i wouldn’t want to be anywhere near you either. Either you or your department need some serious re-training. As for the subject of the thread, everyone agrees the 6.7 is a beast for towing. What a lot of us have decided is that the ease of towing doesn’t justify the higher operating costs and inevitable big dollar repair bills that come with diesel ownership.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:06 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Yoteman
I was just looking at brand new 2018 f250’s an hour ago. They had two 2018 crew cab 4x4’s with 6.2 for 38k and five 4x4 crews with the 6.7 ranging from 44k to 46k. These were not fancy trucks, plain wheels and standard pw pl etc but I thought that was an awesome price. They had a couple of xlt models for 50-55 and a platinum for 72k.
If the wifey wasn’t getting a new Toyota 4runner soon, I’d ****** up one of those 45k 6.7’s!
For reference I picked up my leftover 17 with about 10 miles on it(6 months old from build date) Lariat CC SB 6.7 for 52K.I did have to go out of state to get it but that was fine by me.The deals are out there.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:21 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by cdnfireman

Your experiences are nothing to brag about...i wouldn’t want to be anywhere near you either. Either you or your department need some serious re-training. As for the subject of the thread, everyone agrees the 6.7 is a beast for towing. What a lot of us have decided is that the ease of towing doesn’t justify the higher operating costs and inevitable big dollar repair bills that come with diesel ownership.
Funny u assume I died at fire Dept... Spoiler alert!..I did not... Although 30 year of being woke up and going 0 to 100..probably contributed to the health issue... But u must be FDNY or something to jump on someone's training or a Dept's training without knowing much info... I guess I will just assume that you are a Chevy guy and the WALK to the Ford dealer was closer. thanks for playing.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:31 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wish I had known about Enterprise. That’s a pretty cheap price to settle the internal debate that resides in some of us. I’ve had diesels for 15 years but my trailers keep getting smaller and smaller. The latest is only 4500 lbs wet so this time around I gave the 6.2 some serious consideration. Ended up ordering one and hoping I wouldn’t be disappointed. Just finished 1600 miles through the Colorado mountains and back and the 6.2 was perfect. Maintained highway speeds on every grade and got 11 mpg towing so I’m very happy with the truck. I’m not sure where the cutoff is weight wise before I’d want a diesel again. Taking a guess I’d say maybe 7k or 8k but I’m not sure. If I ever end up with a bigger trailer again and decide to go truck shopping I’ll definitley keep Enterprise in mind.

Quick Reply: IF you're on the fence on Diesel vs. gasser...