2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

IF you're on the fence on Diesel vs. gasser...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 09:49 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CBEllis

22,000 miles here; 6.7L FX4 CCSB; lifetime average mpg is 18.6 mpg; 70% highway, 30% city.
If your numbers are correct, they are much better than average.
Ford F-250 Super Duty MPG - Actual MPG from 165 Ford F-250 Super Duty owners

Old 05-28-2018, 10:43 PM
Bovinerazzr
Senior User
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Karsseboom
It blows my mind why anyone would buy a gas 1 ton truck unless it’s a service truck.
Why is that? I kind of wish I had spent my 9k on a nicer model as I don't really need the pulling power in a feed truck. I do need the load carrying capacity of a 1 ton.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:18 AM
finnf250
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CBEllis

22,000 miles here; 6.7L FX4 CCSB; lifetime average mpg is 18.6 mpg; 70% highway, 30% city.
Here's another data point:

2017 F250 CCSB, 6.7l diesel with stock 20" tires. Driving mostly empty, driver only onboard. 7k miles, average lifetime speed 37.4 mph. Average lifetime fuel consumption: Computer 19.0 mpg, hand calculated 18.1 mpg .

I am satisfied with the mpg, pretty much in line what I was expecting.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Another thing most people don't factor into the Gas/Diesel debate that would be prudent to know: Diesel engine has a 100,000 mile warranty whereas the Gas is only 60,000. This only applies if you are going to put a lot of miles on the motor quickly, but if you are, its good to know Ford stands by the Diesel motor to 100k.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:32 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oklarado
Regardless of his angle, your statement was wrong..
I'm wrong? Have you ever heard of marketing? Last decade jeep was giving lifetime warranties TO SELL JEEPS! Does this mean they would ever stop? No, it does not. Wrangler single handedly has kept chrysler, now Fiat, afloat. It is a gimmick to sell SLOW selling vehicles.

All the reasons to buy a larger light duty truck are the same to buy a diesel. To mention two of the largest: 30% more fuel efficient is huge as well as the engine being a heat sink instead of just a heat source. There is a reason why they sell, and people buy, a heavier truck with a gas motor, the reason is price point, and that includes operating costs. Nothing wrong with that justification but do not berate the better, and higher costs, solution just because of your price point.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:41 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The fuel economy concerns entertain me. $5000 for a leaky moon roof? No problem. $3000 for pleather and butt massagers? Good to go. Gas engine gets 3 mpg less than a diesel? OMGWTFBBQ!

It's a fair point for overlanding range, or for 3rd world countries where it's nearly impossible to wiggle a large trailer into a gas station. But that's about it. The 6.2L is about $2778 more expensive to fuel for 100,000 miles. $3000 tops.

If the diesel is $9000 option, that's 300,000+ miles just to break even. Pretty sure there's far better areas in the budget to be concerned about.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:44 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toymaster
I'm wrong? Have you ever heard of marketing? Last decade jeep was giving lifetime warranties TO SELL JEEPS! Does this mean they would ever stop? No, it does not. Wrangler single handedly has kept chrysler, now Fiat, afloat. It is a gimmick to sell SLOW selling vehicles.

All the reasons to buy a larger light duty truck are the same to buy a diesel. To mention two of the largest: 30% more fuel efficient is huge as well as the engine being a heat sink instead of just a heat source. There is a reason why they sell, and people buy, a heavier truck with a gas motor, the reason is price point, and that includes operating costs. Nothing wrong with that justification but do not berate the better, and higher costs, solution just because of your price point.
Your response was ---- That is an incentive to sell more gas motors, as they are harder to sell, plain and simple.

They don't give the warranty on the diesel because its a losing proposition. Diesels break down more, and cost a metric ton more to fix when they do break down. Half the guys that buy diesel never need it, but it strokes the ego. Its only 50 bucks more a month and I get a diesel type deal. That's not everyone but its a lot. I was a cash buyer and went diesel, but I am smart enough to know that unless you need a diesel, it make more sense to buy a gas.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:44 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
The fuel economy concerns entertain me. $5000 for a leaky moon roof? No problem. $3000 for pleather and butt massagers? Good to go. Gas engine gets 3 mpg less than a diesel? OMGWTFBBQ!
Every option is available for both motor choices. As to the economy, it is not the cost but the fuel range for me. For a given tank a 30% increase in range is significant.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
For a given tank a 30% increase in range is significant.
This is huge, especially when towing.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:57 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Your response was ---- That is an incentive to sell more gas motors, as they are harder to sell, plain and simple.
And I stand by the fact.

Diesels break down more, and cost a metric ton more to fix when they do break down.
I do not take this in anyway to be true. I have two diesels that I have had extremely little to go wrong with. If you are referring to the later 6.0 or the 6.4, then yes you may have a point. However, we are into the seventh year of the 6.7 and it has a proven track record (or I wouldn't be buying one).

Half the guys that buy diesel never need it, but it strokes the ego. Its only 50 bucks more a month and I get a diesel type deal. That's not everyone but its a lot. I was a cash buyer and went diesel, but I am smart enough to know that unless you need a diesel, it make more sense to buy a gas.
Can't help bro-diesel people. As far as paying cash for an extremely depreciation-able asset vs. using future (and less valuable) dollars well, that was fully discussed in another thread a couple of weeks ago.

I fully agree gas motors are less expensive to run and if dollars and cents is all people look at, well, they would sell a lot more of them. Most fleet trucks are gas just for this reason.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:20 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Every option is available for both motor choices. As to the economy, it is not the cost but the fuel range for me. For a given tank a 30% increase in range is significant.
I'm with you there. If Ford offered a 60 gallon tank I would probably take it. That would be almost 120 miles of extra range when towing. It's not important enough to me to go with an aftermarket tank, but an OEM option would be nice.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:28 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by HRTKD
If Ford offered a 60 gallon tank I would probably take it...
They do on the cab and chassis. 26 gallon mid ship tank along with the 40 gallon main (rear) tank. A $600 option that is well worth it.

I have a 19 gallon on my '03 with the 40 gallon main tank. When hauling a load I use the main tank up then swap over to the mid ship tank and start looking for a fuel station FAST! When hauling cross-country I have actually put on-road fuel in my transfer tank (110gal) and filled up myself on the side of the road .

Old 05-29-2018, 12:30 PM
dksmith17
Senior User
IMO this debate is more geography dependent than some might realize

A good portion of the private party HD truck world exists in high traffic RV areas like FL,TX or other flat parts of the country and there is basically no real need for diesel for ~ 80% of RVs

Old 05-29-2018, 12:34 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
^^^ Wish I could find a video clip of that scene in "the Cowboy Way" where Woody Harrelson says @ 00:44:47 "There ain't no real cowboys from Texas. We're from New Mexico. "

Originally Posted by dksmith17
A good portion of the private party HD truck world exists in high traffic RV areas like FL,TX or other flat parts of the country and there is basically no real need for diesel for ~ 80% of RVs
Last I heard it gets hot down in those parts. It sure is nice when it is 110 degrees outside, you have #### load, A/C is blasting, and the engine temp gauge is exactly where it is suppose to be. A beautiful sight indeed.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Limbhangers
New User
First post. I farm so I've got 3 diesel trucks all Fords. Since the 7.3 Ford has not made a diesel engine that won't breakdown, leave your stranded and cost you thousands of dollars in repair bills. That's just the facts. I own a 2017 6.7L and it is awesome to mash the accelerator. There is no denying that. Tons of power. That's the truck the boss drives. That's me.

However, I've lived every minute of every breakdown imaginable. I've thrown $12k into one that was worth $30k and when they handed me the keys back... it was still worth $30k. It would have been just as easy to pile the money up in their parking lot and light it on fire. I've had serious problems with every single truck I've owned since the 7.3 motor's reign ended. 6.0, 6.4, 6.7.... doesn't matter.

I have owned 1 gas truck in all that time. That's been since the early 1990's. Yes, it was a dog but it ran when I needed it to and the repair bills were nowhere near what a diesel would set up back. I drove a 2017 6.2L a few weeks ago and I can live with the performance. It seems to suck the gas but if it proves to be as reliable as the 1 other gas truck I have owned in the last 25 years it will be a great truck for us. Yes, I bought it. Traded the last 6.0 we owned in on it that finally proved to be a good truck after it was bulletproofed.

I'm not done with diesel trucks. They are making us money so I can afford them. But most people driving them to the grocery store don't need a 250 at all much less get into a debate of gas vs. diesel. To say that one is better than the other is completely debatable and in my experience depending on how far you are willing to drive them out of warranty and how deep your pockets are. If someone was not regularly towing enough to actually need the extra capacity or using them to make money I'd suggest a 150 to more than 1/2 the people driving them.

Quick Reply: IF you're on the fence on Diesel vs. gasser...