Towing heavy loads....You guys had this happen? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Towing heavy loads....You guys had this happen?

Old 05-25-2018, 06:33 PM
1968 F250camper
Senior User
1968 F250camper is starting off with a positive reputation.
Towing heavy loads....You guys had this happen?

I towed the boat home from Wisconsin today. Stopped to weigh the boat to see if she gained weight over the winter. Nope. Weighs the same. Boat and truck together weighed 8940 Lbs.

BUT, the truck threw some serious hissy fits on the way home. What the heck?? I drove slowly through some scenic country roads. Lots of stop and go and hills. When I am almost home, it seemed like the brakes were stuck on and the truck would barley accelerate. Oil pressure was very low. Engine was starting to overheat. Brake pedal became extremely hard....and no give at all. I am thinking the stop and go and going slow on country roads really threw this 50 years old truck for a loop. Everything just seemed very hot, and like all systems were shutting down. I wasn't sure I was going to make it home. You guys every experienced anything like this?

Edit: Forgot to mention the temperature was 90 degrees today. I am thinking everything, including the outside temp, was just too much for the truck, and all systems started "acting up"

Old 05-25-2018, 09:37 PM
351Cleveland C4
Post Fiend
351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.
When The engine starts to get hot, it will start to loose power and run funny. Plus, the hot radiator won't cool the transmission oil, and that will get the transmission hot. When the transmission gets hot, it will start to shift erratically and slip in extreme cases.

You said you were driving a lot of slow roads. That will get things hotter quicker than anything. No airflow and lots of torque converter slip.

Sounds to me like everything just got too hot.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:11 PM
1968 F250camper
Senior User
Yep, I agree with you. I have been thinking about it, and everything was just flat out hot!! What seemed like the brakes dragging (in an extreme manner) was probably really the transmission slipping, or doing something weird when I was trying to accelerate....as in just plain would hardly accelerate.

However, the one thing I can't figure out is the brakes. They were acting very strange as well. They would hardly grab, and the pedal was totally hard, and was barely able to compress at all. Under normal conditions, the pedal has several inches of play, and is a bit spongy, as in somewhat regular spongy. I guess the brakes were hot too, and acting strange. Got home, unhooked the boat, and took it out for a run with no load. Everything got back to normal.

I guess I learned my lesson today. It's a 50 year old truck, and not a new F250 Super Duty.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:33 AM
351Cleveland C4
Post Fiend
351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.
Yep. You can make it heat-worthy if you want to, but unless you need to, it might not be worth the money/effort.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:02 AM
GaryKip
Postmaster
GaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to behold
A seperate cooler for that tranny would help save the cost of a re-build. If you've done the 3G alternator swap, an electric fan set-up would help a bunch, in slow driving conditions. If not, then a fan shroud, and a 7 blade fan with a fan clutch would help. The brake issue sounds like a booster or vacuum leak/issue.Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:48 AM
1968 F250camper
Senior User
I have a separate trans cooler on it. It works pretty well.....er, uhm, most of the time.

I do think that all systems....engine, trans, brakes.....all got way too hot, and basically did not work like they normally do. Normally, the brakes work fine. I am sure a new master cylinder and booster wouldn't hurt. They are on the list longer term. I think for immediate needs, I just need to stay on main roads where I can keep my speed up (air flow), and be careful about towing when it is so hot outside. Other than that, I am headed straight down to my Ford dealer to buy a new F150. I have seen a few tv commercials that say they have pretty good towing capacity. What's a new F150 cost these days? $50K?

Old 05-26-2018, 10:49 AM
Alex from GA
Posting Guru
Alex from GA is starting off with a positive reputation.
My take is the brakes were sticking. How about the emergency brake?

Old 05-26-2018, 11:23 AM
1968 F250camper
Senior User
No, I engaged/disengaged the e-brakes several times to see if that was what was going on. It sure felt a like that. They were fine. The only thing I can think is that the brakes/fluid got so hot that it was acting up too. Still haven't got it figured out. But, once everything cooled down....back to normal.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:23 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
HIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud of
Check the brake booster/booster check valve. It sounds to be like it's headed south of heaven.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:08 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Something to check, make certain the distributor is not defective. Retarded ignition timing will cause the engine to run very hot and lose power exactly as you describe. This includes both the mechanical assembly of weights as well as the vacuum advance plate and diaphragm. Run it up in neutral with a light and make sure the advance mechanism moves smartly and smoothly up and down without sticking and no "scatter" etc. Towing is going to expose any mistuned or out of spec condition, where it otherwise may not be noticed.

Retarded ignition means low engine manifold vacuum - and possibly hard pedal no? Brake booster is being starved sounds like. If none of this applies, you still might try connecting the vacuum advance to a source of constant manifold vacuum (as compared with ported) to keep engine temperature lower. This makes a big difference especially at idle and low speed driving. Let us know what you find.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:18 PM
Alex from GA
Posting Guru
Alex from GA is starting off with a positive reputation.
Something Ted said came back to me. One time the roll pin on my distributor gear sheared and put the distributor way out of time and the engine would hardly run.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:16 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
^^^^ Yepper! That'll do it.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:16 PM
jfmaz
Senior User
jfmaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe a big vac leak? Run real lean, get hot, loose power, brake booster not working - hard braking?

Old 05-27-2018, 06:58 PM
Thipdar
Elder User
Thipdar has a good reputation on FTE.Thipdar has a good reputation on FTE.Thipdar has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 1968 F250camper View Post
BUT, the truck threw some serious hissy fits on the way home. What the heck?? I drove slowly through some scenic country roads. Lots of stop and go and hills. When I am almost home, it seemed like the brakes were stuck on and the truck would barley accelerate. Oil pressure was very low. Engine was starting to overheat. Brake pedal became extremely hard....and no give at all. I am thinking the stop and go and going slow on country roads really threw this 50 years old truck for a loop. Everything just seemed very hot, and like all systems were shutting down. I wasn't sure I was going to make it home. You guys every experienced anything like this?
Last time I had problems with the brakes binding up, it was due to a faulty master cylinder (which had just been replaced).

Doesn't sound like the problem you had, but it might be part of it.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:25 PM
Kurttb1
Freshman User
Kurttb1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have to agree with that Vac leak scenario- However, since it ran good later, It could be that getting the engine hot expanded a place where the vacuum could leak then but later after cooling down the leaking area sealed back up or became much less to nil thus allowing the truck to run better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.