Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Max Tow pkg: not really

Old 05-25-2018, 05:29 PM
ATX SD
Junior User
ATX SD is starting off with a positive reputation.
2018 Max Tow pkg: not really

So it turns out that a truck with a Max Tow package is only really a Max Tow if it has 20" wheels. If your has the 18" wheels it gets the upgraded driveline and hitch, but not the suspension upgrades. I can't fathom why this is the case.

Anyway, got any suggestions for getting a parts list to make one a true Max Tow? The order guide says the difference is "upgraded springs, sway bar, and steering gear".

Old 05-25-2018, 07:32 PM
Labmaster02
New User
Labmaster02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are you talking about MAX Tow or Heavy Duty Payload Package?

Old 05-25-2018, 07:35 PM
ATX SD
Junior User
Max Tow, no HDPP.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:28 PM
Robbgt
Postmaster
Robbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to behold
Just keep in mind whatever "upgrades" you throw at it will not raise the legal limit of the truck. It will be the same as it left the factory with.

Do you envision hitting a limit with what you plan to tow? EB with a 3.55 is a potent tow package, especially with 2wd. longer wheelbase will give good stability also.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:48 PM
tree10
Junior User
tree10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yup that's what got me to order the HDPP/MTTP.
It make no sense to anyone. My theory is in the Towing numbers game Ford only outfitted and tested one configuration with 20 inch wheels, to get the "highest in class award". They actually reduced the MTTP numbers from 2017, on trucks with 18 inch wheels. It was cheaper on my build to order the Heavy Duty package then order 20 inch wheels. I was getting a 500a Lariat 157" Screw anyway, so it was an easy choice. That blurb from Ford is also a bit misleading, if you look at the Ford fleet specifications sheets, MTTP does not get a unique Stabilizer bar, or Trans cooling, all tow packages seem to be the same, and the steering ratio seems to standard across the board. It's all as clear as mud.

The HDPP/MTTP is strangely liberating, no more worrying about options and additions overloading payload numbers (all within reason of course). I won't have to put the dogs on diets before towing the TT on a trip!

Old 05-25-2018, 08:49 PM
Labmaster02
New User
Labmaster02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is this specific for the 2018? I know on the 2017 the Max Tow came with larger front stabilizer, extra trans cooler, stronger trailer hitch/bumper. Nothing about wheels.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:57 PM
ATX SD
Junior User
Originally Posted by Robbgt View Post
Just keep in mind whatever "upgrades" you throw at it will not raise the legal limit of the truck. It will be the same as it left the factory with.
That's the strange thing about this: this truck already has the 7000 lb GVW, to get any more you have to have the HDPP. So it's exactly the same rating as a 20" wheel max tow truck, but without the suspension upgrades. I'm baffled.

Originally Posted by Robbgt View Post
Do you envision hitting a limit with what you plan to tow? EB with a 3.55 is a potent tow package, especially with 2wd. longer wheelbase will give good stability also.
No, we'll be good. It has 1,880 lbs of payload and I don't imagine we'll have more than 1,000 in tongue weight so we should be fine after loading up the cabin and bed.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:59 PM
ATX SD
Junior User
Originally Posted by Labmaster02 View Post
Is this specific for the 2018? I know on the 2017 the Max Tow came with larger front stabilizer, extra trans cooler, stronger trailer hitch/bumper. Nothing about wheels.
Yes, it's a change for 2018. Shame on me for not doing a detailed check on 2018 options; I went through everything with a fine-toothed comb in 2017 but ended up delaying until the 2018s were on the lot. So now I have to do some remedial work. I already have some LT-rated tires on order, but I knew I was going to do that regardless. Springs and stabilizer bar I can do no problem, not too much work or expense. I have no idea what they mean by upgraded steering gear.

But I do need to come up with a parts list.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:11 PM
tree10
Junior User
Originally Posted by ATX SD View Post
Yes, it's a change for 2018. Shame on me for not doing a detailed check on 2018 options; I went through everything with a fine-toothed comb in 2017 but ended up delaying until the 2018s were on the lot. So now I have to do some remedial work. I already have some LT-rated tires on order, but I knew I was going to do that regardless. Springs and stabilizer bar I can do no problem, not too much work or expense. I have no idea what they mean by upgraded steering gear.
See my post.
I think you will find you might have the upgraded Stabilizer bar and the steering gears seem the same. Look at the Ford Fleet Specification pages.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:30 PM
ATX SD
Junior User
Originally Posted by tree10 View Post
See my post.
I think you will find you might have the upgraded Stabilizer bar and the steering gears seem the same. Look at the Ford Fleet Specification pages.
Well, that would be something good. I don't have the fleet spec - can you point me to a link? Thanks much.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 PM
ATX SD
Junior User
Originally Posted by tree10 View Post
Yup that's what got me to order the HDPP/MTTP.
[...]

The HDPP/MTTP is strangely liberating, no more worrying about options and additions overloading payload numbers (all within reason of course). I won't have to put the dogs on diets before towing the TT on a trip!
You're probably a wiser man than I am. I was initially going to order an HDPP/MT so we could keep our 10,000lb 5th wheel. Did all the math, every single option, we would have been legal but very, very close to GVWR. I postponed a decision then got in a hurry and decided to just downgrade to a TT and get something off the lot. Took some looking to get max tow, tow mirrors, and 157" wheelbase and I just didn't look further than the weight specs published in the brochure and the door sticker before deciding.

In retrospect it would be nice to have HDPP even without needing it for the 5th wheel. Live and learn. So far, I like the truck very much. I was originally looking at SuperDuty 6.2L, coming from a Cummins 6.7L diesel, but decided I needed more of a daily driver. It's just a little floaty/wobbly to my taste, so I'll tighten it up a bit before hooking up. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:22 PM
smokewagun
Elder User
smokewagun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.smokewagun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm close to purchasing a new F150. I am having a rough time finding the MTTP with tow mirrors. In my search, I find a truck equipped with the Trailer Tow Package, the 36 Gallon Fuel Tank, and the Trailer Brake Controller cost $30 more, but includes the same goodies as the MTTP. The only differences I find are a true MTTP truck has a different rear bumper (no one knows what's different), and a 7050# GVWR instead of the 7000# in a non-MTTP truck. The other difference is the 3.55 rear end in the MTTP, versus the 3.31 in the non-MTTP. That gets you about 3,000# more trailer tow capacity than the non-MTTP truck.
If I can't find another major difference, I may go with the individually optioned truck. The 3.31 rear end will net better daily driving fuel economy, but the reduction in trailer capacity shouldn't mean much. I'd never consider towing anywhere near the 10,000# trailer capacity with a 1/2 ton, and certainly not the 13,300 with a MTTP truck.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:53 AM
tree10
Junior User
I hope this helps a bit, This is information my dealer sent me from their build sheets.
Ford seems to deleted the detailed specification pages from their Fleet website. I do have a hard copy which I could scan information if you need more.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:53 AM
ATX SD
Junior User
Oh, ok, I have that doc, thanks. I think someone posted it to the forum earlier in the year.

As usual, mostly it just raises more questions.
  1. What's the difference between an HD and an HPP frame? Is one of those max tow?
  2. What's with the 8200 lb GVWR? That's not one listed anywhere else - it's always 7850. Maybe a fleet option?
I measured the OD of my sway bar - looks like it's 36mm. I guess they all get that diameter bar? I can't tell if it's solid or not.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:24 AM
BrandonFoxValleyFord
New User
BrandonFoxValleyFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ATX SD View Post
So it turns out that a truck with a Max Tow package is only really a Max Tow if it has 20" wheels. If your has the 18" wheels it gets the upgraded driveline and hitch, but not the suspension upgrades. I can't fathom why this is the case.

Anyway, got any suggestions for getting a parts list to make one a true Max Tow? The order guide says the difference is "upgraded springs, sway bar, and steering gear".
I pulled my order manual and my spec sheet. I did not see any reference to a 20" vs 18" and do not have any footnotes indicating the specifications differ based on wheel size. The max trailer tow package in the 2018 manual consists of the pro trailer backup assist with trailer hook up lamp. It does not change your springs or capacities on any model. The capacity related towing package is the "trailer tow package" which comes with the 4/7 pin, trans cooler, class iv hitch receiver, smart tow connector, and the front stabilizer. The trailer tow package is required for towing up to 11,100. The other way to increase your capacities is the "heavy-duty payload package" which is optional on xl, xlt and lariat but unavailable on king ranch, platinum and limited. That will give you upgraded springs and 3.73 ratio, 9.75" gearset, and the option of 17 or 18 inch wheels/tires. The class IV hitch package is standard on lariat, king ranch, platinum and limited. It is optional on xl and xlt.

Brandon
Sales Consultant Fox Valley Ford
630-907-3100 ext 234

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Max Tow pkg: not really

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: