v10 white smoke after swap - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

v10 white smoke after swap

Old 05-24-2018, 04:12 PM
UNTAMND
Postmaster
UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.
v10 white smoke after swap

The engine in my truck threw a rod. Finally got another running parts truck that I plowed with and run for a year. I pulled the engine from the parts truck to put in my good truck, and now it smokes. White clouds of smoke.
It runs great, but puffs a lot. It got new intake gaskets and had a few exhaust studs drilled out.
​​​​​​​What would cause white smoke to happen after the swap, when it ran great before?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:15 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Post Fiend
SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
When you pulled the Intake did you get antifreeze or oil down into the motor?

2nd possibility is you have a leak on the coolant side of the new I take and that's where the white smoke is coming from

Old 05-24-2018, 07:36 PM
UNTAMND
Postmaster
UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.UNTAMND has a great reputation on FTE.
I didn't do the work unfortunately.
They ran the truck now about 15 min or more I'm guessing. I'd think anti freeze would be burned off by now.
This truck has been nothing but a pain since I got it. I'm not around to work on it myself is the biggest issue.
It smoked when first put together. Then the guy said he had reused the intake gasket so he then took it apart and replaced intake gasket. Still smokes.

Do the exhaust studs go into a water jacket? Could he drill too deep and poke into water jacket, and it's leaking into the exhaust?

Old 05-24-2018, 08:32 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I do believe if you drill too far on the exhaust studs some of them could end up nicking a water jacket. Not sure which ones are the closest, though.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:33 AM
UNTAMND
Postmaster
That sucks.
But you'd have to drill 5/8-3/4 before you get there. I checked my junk engine and the top studs would go into valve cover area, and lower studs have s 1/2-5/8 boss that the stud goes into before it gets to the main portion of the head where water would be. That would have to be one major screw up to go into the head deep enough to hit water.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:09 AM
Fefanatic
Senior User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by UNTAMND View Post

Do the exhaust studs go into a water jacket? Could he drill too deep and poke into water jacket, and it's leaking into the exhaust?
Even if they did drill into the water jacket it would not leak into the exhaust. It would leak through the threads and to the outside of the exhaust manifold and smoke there. Even then I doubt the coolant would get past the threads of the bolt once tightened. If somehow coolant leaked into the exhaust pipes during engine removal or intake removal then you probably should run it for about 30 minutes or more. Depending on how much coolant could have leaked would determine on how long it may smoke. You can use that same time running to verify you are not losing coolant in the engine. If the coolant isn't dropping then you most likely do not have a leak.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:38 PM
UNTAMND
Postmaster
Well, I got the truck back... the dingleberry working on it for me, ended up putting something for stop leak in it.
I'm not thrilled about that. He didn't ask, or consult with what would be best.
I'm hoping that he didn't gum up the heater core.
Its not smoking anymore. But stop leak wasn't the fix I wanted.
I just don't know what it could have been.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:04 PM
DieselBeast01
Posting Guru
DieselBeast01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DieselBeast01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If the stop leak stopped it from smoking, then it won't be long before the smokes comes back.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:13 PM
UNTAMND
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DieselBeast01 View Post
If the stop leak stopped it from smoking, then it won't be long before the smokes comes back.
No kidding... that's why I'm not happy.