Misc. interior upgrades for XL-STX - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Misc. interior upgrades for XL-STX

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 05-23-2018, 01:23 AM
TXSD6.2
Senior User
TXSD6.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone has done any upgrading to their 2017/2018 XL interior.

I noticed that the XLT has chrome trim around the interior door handle and the AC vents, there are probably other minor differences as well. Anyone have any part #s or guidance for trying to dress up the more plain XL interior? Simple upgrades from higher trim levels welcome too, I'm open to ideas.

My truck is a 2018 F250 XL STX w/ FX4. Regular sync, jump seat.

So far I've:

- Added Ford all weather mats for vinyl flooring
- Removed the headrests on jump seat

Seriously thinking about ordering the leather wrapped steering wheel.

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2018, 03:26 AM
white_dc
Freshman User
white_dc is starting off with a positive reputation.
surprisingly the xlt has the same cheesy rubber steering wheel. My 2016 F150 XLT actually had a leather one. BTW, the F150 steering wheels will fit the super duty as well.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:56 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by white_dc View Post
surprisingly the xlt has the same cheesy rubber steering wheel. My 2016 F150 XLT actually had a leather one. BTW, the F150 steering wheels will fit the super duty as well.
It actually doesn't...it's wrapped in vinyl that looks and feels kind of like leather but it's not. The Lariat+ trucks on F-150 or Super Duty have real leather.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:17 AM
h20camper
Posting Guru
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did lots of this exact stuff to my STX. (Vents, door trim, leather steering wheel, etc). I have an extra set of XLT Armour - Chrome dash vents as well as door handle covers I'm willing to sell. PM me your email address if interested.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:10 AM
TXSD6.2
Senior User
Thanks, h20camper, I'm interested. I can't seem to send you a PM (Unless I'm just missing the option) as a new member. Can you PM me your e-mail address and I'll reply?

Old 05-23-2018, 09:22 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TXSD6.2 View Post
Thanks, h20camper, I'm interested. I can't seem to send you a PM (Unless I'm just missing the option) as a new member. Can you PM me your e-mail address and I'll reply?
I think you need 10 posts or maybe a certain number of days for PM's to work.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:25 AM
MPawelek
Senior User
MPawelek is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TXSD6.2 View Post
Someone needs to send you a video of the secret handshake!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:30 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
TXSD6.2--

Here's a couple of updates I did to my truck, which was an XLT Premium to start with.

A minor update which I think looks nice is the chrome trim rings around the speaker grilles in the doors. Lariat and higher trim trucks come with them from the factory, but you can get very similar ones that stick on with double sided tape for about $30 on Amazon.

A major update is replacing the cloth seat material that comes from the factory with leather. I bought black Katzkin leather which is patterned and sewn just like the factory leather. You do have to remove all the seats and then remove the factory cloth and install the leather...but the results are impressive. I didn't mind the cloth but being in the lawn and landscaping business, the cloth seats get dirty and stained over time. Leather is easier to clean.

Below is a before and after pic showing the speaker trims and leather install. I bought the Katzkin leather for $558 shipped and put about 11 hours of labor into the install. Upholstery shops will install the same thing but charge you an additional thousand dollars.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 AM
TXSD6.2
Senior User
Troverman,

Those seats looks great! Did you find some good instructions online or did you just wing it? I have never done any upholstery work before. Perhaps I could con my wife into helping me install some. I've always had cloth seats in trucks, but leather would be ideal for the ease of cleaning alone, plus it looks great. The light tan cloth in my truck are going to show dirt very easily.

The speaker trim rounds the existing trim look out as well. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:16 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
TXSD6.2,

I've done a small amount of this type of work in the past on other vehicles but not to this extent. These modern seats are easier to work on then the older seats. There is a pretty informative youtube video on doing this job on a modern F-150; the seats and process is the same. It's all snaps and clips, and your fingers will be sore...but it looks great when it's done.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:31 PM
TXSD6.2
Senior User
Do you still have a link to the speaker trim you added?

Old 05-23-2018, 12:43 PM
TXSD6.2
Senior User
h20camper, I sent you a visitor message w/ e-mail address. Thanks

Old 05-23-2018, 01:24 PM
h20camper
Posting Guru
Speaker Trim

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07588FFML?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Old 05-23-2018, 01:35 PM
TXSD6.2
Senior User
Thanks for the link. Most of the reviews are people complaining about incorrect fitment and poor adhesion.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:41 PM
h20camper
Posting Guru
I had neither issue but I did clean the surface before applying

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Misc. interior upgrades for XL-STX

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.